Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bolt no longer favorite for 100m title in Daegu

Lot of folks are worried. Bolt should too.

http://spikeduppsychedup.com/2011/07/23 ... onaco-win/

Re: Bolt no longer favorite for 100m title in Daegu

Bolt is not worried, if he improve a little bit, he will can get about 9.80, who can defeat him with this time?Only Asafa(Gay is injuried) could get sub 9.8 and i doubt so much that he get sub 9.8 in a big championship with several rounds...

Comment

One factor which you may have overlooked with your hypothetical assessment of Mr. Bolt: Mr. Bolt, after sprinting those same numbers of rounds before the final, may not run 9"80 with those other races heaped on his legs, much to the same degree that you suspect that Mr. Powell would not be able to accomplish this. If Mr. Bolt improves to 9"80, based on what he is revealing at this point in the season, it may very well be in an invitational, one-off race; there's a likelihood, based on what this season's visible form, that he may not improve to 9"80 with 3 rounds before his final.
      Fire Impossible.

Comment

3, Bolt is a runner 200, he has a lot of endurance more that Powell, he can make several rounds 100 without lose energy. Powell no.
        Powell is really runner only 1 race, we saw it all this years.
        In only 1 race i see more chance Powell can defeat to Bolt(bad start,bad reaction time,...), in several rounds i have so much doubts because i think that Bolt will improve during the championship.
        I can see Bolt make 9.80(i think that he can make it improving only a little bit), but i dont see Powell with several rounds making sub 9.8, sorry is my feeling.

Regards.

Comment

Thank you for your personal insight. I disagree with your assertion of Mr. Bolt, because, again, based on this year's form, Mr. Bolt has not lit it up on the track; running 9"80 is a measurably challenging task to accomplish. To drop a 9"80 in the fourth of his championship races can lead one to believe that Mr. Bolt has been sand-bagging it this year, which I don't, as what he consistently practices is what he will reap.

I do agree with you, Mr. Zellgadis, that Mr. Bolt has 200m endurance. How many times has he tapped into that endurance this season? How many 200m races has he even contested this season?
          Fire Impossible.

Comment

3, he made 2 good races 200, and the next week third race in 200.
            9.88 is not bad time, of course is not great but is good.
            and 9.78 Asafa was with altitude in fast track like Lausanne without big rivals(Lemaitre is a promise and Frater lose with Asafa more 20 times in the past...) The next time for Asafa this season is "only" 9.90.
            Yes he is a little better that Bolt, but the only time that two ran, Bolt won...

You know that mental strength is very important too and with several rounds in adittion, i see more favourite to Bolt, that im sure that he will improve, at least a little bit in Daegu.

I think that next month Blake and Powell run in London, if Asafa run again sub 9.8 that time perhaps he can be a little more favourite that Bolt.

Is my opinion, 3.

Regards

Comment

I suspect he will actually get stronger thru the rounds and indeed run 9.7-high, low-9.8 in the final, which should win. We've seen this pattern before in championship races from veteran stars. Their training is built for that.

Comment

Originally posted by ZELLGADISS
                Bolt is not worried, if he improve a little bit, he will can get about 9.80, who can defeat him with this time?Only Asafa(Gay is injuried) could get sub 9.8 and i doubt so much that he get sub 9.8 in a big championship with several rounds...
                It is rather inconclusive and grossly oblivious on anyone’s part to assume Bolt will be just fine base on his current performance for this season. Furthermore, the argument that a 9.80 at Daegu will be good enough because there is no one else capable of running 9.80 in a championship is moot. The mere fact that his chances of winning is tied to the expectation that someone else (primarily Asafa) underperform is proof in the pudding that he is not the overwhelming favorite and may very well not be in control of his destiny with respect to the championships. I would like to see the man achieve is legendary status but he has a daunting task ahead of him. Finally you are also alluding that one athlete will run almost a tenth of a second faster than he has run all season while degrading another to run slower than he has proven already. An injured Powell ran 9.84 in a final so I don’t see any reason why he can’t perform better if he remains healthy.

Comment

I love the cutline next to Bolt's picture: "Usain Bolt eeking out a win in Monaco"

as in "EEEK, I almost lost!" :wink:

Comment

Bolan i dont think that Powell is injuried making 9.84, Gay was not injuried with his 9.71 and so Bolt although only is making 9.88 in this moment, he is not injuried.

Other thing is that they(in those moments)had some few problems that without them could run a little faster....

I dont think that Asafa get sub 9.8in final Daegu, sorry but the experience tell me it, he is not child, 29 yeard and he always had problems with rounds and big championship.

Comment

Mr. Zellgadiss, you present a good argument for yourself. Thank you. There was an IAAF article linked on another thread which reveals that Mr. Powell is 99% certain of winning in Daegu. Whether or not his past attempts have not led him to his desired goal, somewhere along the line he stopped moving backward, and made an attempt to move forward to the fulfillment of his goals; this mission is his desire to win a major championship. He's given himself a goal he's excited about, and he's enthusiastically working toward the goal. I don't know if Mr. Powell will reach that goal, but I am not basing my inability to tell the future on his past results, rather I am basing it on his passion, enthusiasm, drive and current status --- all of which bode well for Mr. Powell to fulfill his dream.

At the end of the day, I am glad you believe in Mr. Bolt; it's refreshing to witness someone stick by him when some (not all, not even many) have bolted to the exits to change their bets placed.
                      Fire Impossible.

Comment

Bolt ran a 20.03 easing up 5-6 steps out in Paris. He's plenty strong. Getting back into the swing of things in the 100 takes time. He may not be the Bolt of old but he'll be in 9.7 shape by Daegu, even with rounds. And he may still lose!! But not to Asafa.

Comment

jeremyp, one question if Bolt lose, you tell that no Powell, then who? the americans impossible, i dont see Dix,Gatlin or Rodgers making sub 9.8, Mullings i dont see it, Lemaitre,Thompson,Blendman,.. are range 9.9, then who?im very optimistic with Blake but i dont see better that perhaps 9.85, then who?????'

I see Bolt around 9.80 really in Daegu and i think that nobody will can make sub 9.8 there, although i hope that Bolt get 9.7 but i dont see him really good in this moments...

Comment

As far as I'm concerned, Bolt is the favorite until he actually loses a race. I know that Powell has run faster this year, but this is not about running fast--it's about winning. In ten 100m races against Bolt, Powell has won only once, and that was in a non-championship meet in 2008. Bolt has beaten him 8 times in a row since then, including the one time they've raced this year.

Could Bolt lose? Of course. But again, I think he's the favorite until he does lose.

Comment

This truly is about winning. Given the fact, not fiction, that Mr. Bolt barely won his last race --- the second of such kinds this season (the other was an eeker against Mr. Powell), he is resembling a person who may not be the hands-down, prohibitive favourite come Daegu. There will be many variables which come into place in Daegu, but you are certainly correct in your reply to your own question: Mr. Bolt can lose. Mr. Bolt, the world record-holder, happened to lose that exact same non-championship 100M race on two occasions: first to Mr. Powell, then to Mr. Gay.

I don't consider Mr. Bolt the favourite if he runs to the form (upped a notch in more peak shape) that he is currently exhibiting (and has on more than one occasion this season). I don't know what Mr. Bolt is accomplishing in practice sessions, therefore he may completely rise from the crowd like the tall man he is, and put on a spectacular show in the 100M final; Mr. Bolt thrives in the spotlight.
                              Fire Impossible.

Comment

Working...
                              X