Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UK Trials July 29th -31st

I saw somewhere that Chris Tomlinson and Greg Rutherford have both pulled out with training injuries. What are the chances of that happening? :lol:

Comment

I'm really looking forward to the women's 400m. Ohuruogu's 51.49 in Barcelona should mean on paper it will be close between her, Cox and Shakes-Drayton. You would think the Olympic Champion will rise to the occasion but Shakes-Drayton is tenacious and Cox is the fastest this year. The race behind will be just as good with McConnell & Sanders. Then we have Massey, Sotherton and Barr fighting for relay spots too.

Assuming Ohuruogu and Shakes-Drayton finish in the top 3, they're safe for the relay. Cox won't be going so we have 2 other spots for the final. One would think McConnell is safe and should finish in the top 4 here. Then there's one spot left. Sanders is the next fastest this season and only other sub 52, and with her previous pedigree should be selected. So it looks like Massey, Sotherton and Barr are fighting for the 2 extra discretionary places but in reality only one would probably get to run in the heats in Daegu (unless Of course, one of them runs a big PB here or takes the scalp of a couple of women in front of them)

I think the final will probably end up something like this;

Ohuruogu 51.0 - 51.5
      Shakes-Drayton 51.5
      Cox 51.7
      McConnell 51.7
      Sanders 52.0
      Sotherton 52.2
      Massey 52.6
      Barr 53.0

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriella
        I'm really looking forward to the women's 400m. Ohuruogu's 51.49 in Barcelona should mean on paper it will be close between her, Cox and Shakes-Drayton. You would think the Olympic Champion will rise to the occasion but Shakes-Drayton is tenacious and Cox is the fastest this year. The race behind will be just as good with McConnell & Sanders. Then we have Massey, Sotherton and Barr fighting for relay spots too.

Assuming Ohuruogu and Shakes-Drayton finish in the top 3, they're safe for the relay. Cox won't be going so we have 2 other spots for the final. One would think McConnell is safe and should finish in the top 4 here. Then there's one spot left. Sanders is the next fastest this season and only other sub 52, and with her previous pedigree should be selected. So it looks like Massey, Sotherton and Barr are fighting for the 2 extra discretionary places but in reality only one would probably get to run in the heats in Daegu (unless Of course, one of them runs a big PB here or takes the scalp of a couple of women in front of them)

I think the final will probably end up something like this;

Ohuruogu 51.0 - 51.5
        Shakes-Drayton 51.5
        Cox 51.7
        McConnell 51.7
        Sanders 52.0
        Sotherton 52.2
        Massey 52.6
        Barr 53.0
        I'm not confident that Sotherton will run abything near 52.2 and i probably wouldn't pick any but the top for for the relay when we probably have Jenny, Maz and Elidh there already
        i deserve extra credit

Comment

Originally posted by mump boy
          I'm not confident that Sotherton will run abything near 52.2 and i probably wouldn't pick any but the top for for the relay when we probably have Jenny, Maz and Elidh there already
          Sotherton ran 52.51 to win in Cottbus 4 weeks ago, so assuming she isn't injured I don't see why she can't go quicker. She surprised me indoors, winning the national title ahead of Meadows, and she is a fighter. She's at the end of her career and really wants to be (and believes she should be) in Daegu.

Relay-wise, I would expect it's Ohuruogu, Shakes-Drayton, McConnell and Sanders as CVC's top 4. It's down to Massey and Sotherton to show this weekend that they should be the extra 2, and not Maz or anyone else. Sanders really is a bit :?: as she ran that poor leg at the Euro Cup and her 51.9 in Barcelona shows she hasn't improve that much. I'm sure she'll be picked for relay duty and she'll probably finish behind CO, Peris, Shana & Lee, but the way things have been over recent years she could just as easily run 51.4 and beat Lee or end up running outside 52 and losing to Massey or Kelly (if they raise their game)

Comment

First result from the UK trials

1 Alex SMITH SALE 73.26 PB

not earth shattering but getting there.

B standard is 74m is it possible we could have a HT at the WC :shock: :? :shock:
            i deserve extra credit

Comment

Some very respectable 52's in the heats for the 400 ladies. Which makes a change from the 54 that we usually see. And decent times in 100's as well. Should be good weather today so fingers crossed for respectable runs later on.

Very disappointed there's on charlene Thomas in 1500 niggle must have been worse than reported I'll get the lowdown and report back
              i deserve extra credit

Comment

Useful results first two heats of 400. Great result from Chris Clarke! A great talent still young..... was in some shape during winter however a knee problem set him back 2+ months. Let's hope he can back it up in the final...

1 Martyn ROONEY CROY 45.64 0.275 Q
                2 Chris CLARKE MILTON K 45.65 0.157 SB
                3 Robert TOBIN B'STOKE 45.74 0.256

1 Dai GREENE SWANSEA 45.95 0.159 Q PB
                2 Luke LENNON FORD BIRCHFIELD 46.01 0.187
                3 Nigel LEVINE WSE HOUNS 46.37 0.197

Comment

Code:
                  15:31 - 400 METRES - Men - Heats - Heat 3	OFFICIAL RESULTS
                  First 1 of each heat (Q) plus the 4 fastest times (q) qualified	
                  1		Richard BUCK	YORK	46.02		0.160	Q			
                  2		Andrew STEELE	TRAFFORD	46.06		0.224				
                  3		Michael BINGHAM	UNATTACHED	46.08		0.252				
                  4		Jarryd DUNN	BIRCHFIELD	47.14		0.208		PB		
                  5		Michael WARNER	NOTTS	47.40		0.173		PB		
                  6		Peter PHILLIPS	HERNE HILL	47.88		0.287				
                  7		David LAGERBERG	MANSFIELD	49.11		0.273
                  This result eliminates Bingham!

Comment

Its bad enough watching the usual rubbish coverage of the British Champs by the BBC and observing that nowt of true world standard happened, or is likely to, to change ones mind about our chances in the upcoming WC; but, now we have some pots straying into this MB from AW Forum; some twerp called jimbojames actaully thinks he knows that much more than Gold medallists about Ohuruogu and her running; she is in no condition currently nor in 4 weeks time , I bet, to be of any significance in Daegu, but we have typical athlete inspired P teasing stuff about what she may be doing soon; she looked poor, heavy and her time with Nicola Sanders and the rest suggest that out of desperation her recent A standard, by a hundredth or so, will force the poor old UKA people to select her; after all they need a sizeable team to justify what they are about,poor dears.!

First time that I have seen a 400m hurdler win the Champs since the great Akabussi in 44.99 many years ago; what does it say about second raters; and add to that the fact that our national HJ champion and our second best short hurdler is Ennis. The rest looked poor .!!
                    Our sprinters are of no international significance and wait till next week and we will see if they even get to the final of the 100m.

Comment

^^^ "some twerp" strayed over here some years ago my friend, and won't be going anywhere just because you don't like it - regardless of the insults/remarks you like to get in. Seriously, a pensioner should behave better

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out that she ran the race differently to what she would normally do - either because she was trying something new or because her fitness wasn't there to do what she wanted. Given that she came back at the end of the race, she's not completely out of shape, but is clearly not where she'd like to be.

As for the rest of the quality of the day - at the end of the champs, we can compare to last year and answer your earlier question about improvement. No doubt, you still won't be happy, but we've grown accustomed to that now. As for your dig about who knows best - your knowledge levels are clear to all when you post drivel like "USA has 11% of the T&F population, so should be aiming for 11% of the WC medals" :roll:

Comment

The women's 400 was disappointing...good to see PSD win, and it augurs well for her participation in the hurdles, but there's no way a hurdler should be beating flat runners. It's like Leford Green beating Jermaine Gonzales....

Which happened, of course, in the Jamaican trials!

But CO does not look good less than a month away from the World Champs. As MJ said, she looks heavy and not in shape. I would be surprised if she gets among the medals at Daegu.

Kwakye looked good in the women's 100, and it will be interesting to see how she does in the rounds of the World Champs. But Chambers winning the men's 100 in a time of 10.09 - isn't it time the youngsters started come to the fore?
                        :?
                        And it's a good thing that Ofili-Porter is now a Brit, because the 100 hurdles field looked dire. I think she's in with a shot of making it to the final at Daegu....
                        My heart is still in the Caribbean....

Comment

Shiv, I think you/72/MJ are doing PSD a disservice - in the same way that saying that Kaliese Spencer/Lashinda Demus shouldn't be beating flat runners - yet they'll likely be involved in their countries respective relay teams.

It wasn't a great race, but saying she shouldn't be winning is ridiculous - you can't be a world class hurdler without very good flat speed - and you could say the same about Jess and heptathletes needing to be right up there - particulalrly if she wants 7000 points

Comment

Originally posted by 72
                            Which performances will be beaten this year compared to last years Champs?

10.14; 20.77;.44.99; 1.47.22; 3.41.49; 13.48.15; 29.04.62; 8.37.35; 13.45; 48.77; 2.28; 5.35; 8.17; 17.12; 19.77; 61.45; 70.68; 74.00

11.41; 23.66; 51.55; 2.01.50; 4.33.23; 15.48.75; 31.51.91; 9.37.77; 13.32; 56.93; 1.84; 4.45; 6.48; 13.52; 16.02; 57.81; 66.11; 58.60
                            2010/2011
                            100 - 10.14/10.09
                            10,000 - 29.04.62/28.37.30
                            400mH - 48.77/49.66 (Greene not competing)
                            PV - 5.35/5.50
                            LJ - 8.17/8.06
                            JT - 74/78.63
                            HT - 70.68/73.26

100 - 11.41/11.23
                            400 - 51.55/51.52
                            1500 - 4.33.23/4.07.05
                            10,000 - 31.51.91/33.50.72
                            100mH - 13.32/12.76
                            HJ - 1.84/1.89
                            TJ - 13.52/13.67
                            SP - 16.02/16.73
                            DT - 57.81/56.19
                            HT - 66.11/67.69

So far, all bar two bettered on the men's side, and all bar one on the women's...

Comment

Is there anywhere online for a non European to see vid of the W400m?

Comment

Originally posted by mojo
                                Is there anywhere online for a non European to see vid of the W400m?
                                I've not seen anything up yet, but perhaps 'athleticos.org' will put something up in the near future? They've been tweeting all day

Comment

Working...
                                X