Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UK Trials July 29th -31st

I've taped the race and not watched it yet, but the times were disappointing in the womens 400m compared to the SF, especially as the conditions were great in Bham today. I don't see how CO is going to be fit enough to challenge for a place in the final in Daegu, let alone medal. I'm not sure what she has to gain by going and getting knocked out in the semis. I'd just stick to the relay if I were her. She's already lost her aura of invincibility in 09 and she'll further damage her reputation if she does go out in the semis in Daegu. I'd do the relay and knuckle down for London. I'd also go back to what she did in 08; run mainly 200's and only a few top quality 400 meets and be that question mark again in the other women's minds.

If Cox was going to be in our relay team we'd have an outside chance of a medal, but now there's no way we can challenge Jamaica for bronze.

Comment

Thing is, TBO doesn't really rate the relay. If she doesn't go in the individual, I'd doubt she'd go at all, to be honest. GBR definitely looking at 4-8th in the relay this year

Comment

Honestly I am always amazed at how optimistic Brits remain about CO. I mean yes an Olympic champion deserves much respect but really she has done nothing since really. I don't see her being a factor this year or even next. You can't be so off in a highly competitive event for so many years and then turn it on like magic in 2012.

There I said it ! :P

Comment

Not this poster.
          I have been saying for 12 months at least that CO is yesterdays 400m runner together with Sanders; the only people not to believe it and a whole bunch of uncomfortable facts are some strange fans of athletics on the British AW Forum; the latter consider that their bounden duty is to talk up constantly British track and field, and not to mention at all costs our huge gaps in international standards in most of the 40 individual events.

Quite a few of our athletes are adept at talking the talk until they have to actually perform.

What sticks out every year is the enormous drop in standards behind the occasional good performance; and it does not help when people, like Jason Henderson, who write supposedly intelligent observations on the state of our track and field babble about a "new golden period" and "fantastic" records this year and we are on track for possibly.... medals in the OG in London. It aint going to happen,sadly.
          Be warned .We are great at underperforming on the big stage; just look at our vaunted swimmers in the World Champs!!!!!

What is the point of optimism if it just leads you astray and forces you to ignore the facts.???

Fortunately I am not disappointed with our athletes since I now expect little of true international standard.

In good conditions yesterday, we all saw the paltry standards of our athletes ; the sprints were rubbish standard and still you will have the excuses trootted out by certain posters from Britain.

When our traditional international standards in the 400,800,1500 become reasonable then one can recognise the facts; but right now........

Comment

and to really make one happy and positive, we note that in the British Champs in the 10K yesterday our best performance was Walsh in 28.36, one minute behind a Japanese guy. An Italian, Mexican, Japanese can manage to run reasonably decent times, but not a British athlete.

Is this the beginning of our new Golden Age? :lol: :lol: Wonder what our cheerleader thinks...some feeble excuse no doubt. A great credit to our Director of Endurance events, Stewart, I don't think.

Comment

Originally posted by 72
              and to really make one happy and positive, we note that in the British Champs in the 10K yesterday our best performance was Walsh in 28.36, one minute behind a Japanese guy. An Italian, Mexican, Japanese can manage to run reasonably decent times, but not a British athlete.

Is this the beginning of our new Golden Age? :lol: :lol: Wonder what our cheerleader thinks...some feeble excuse no doubt. A great credit to our Director of Endurance events, Stewart, I don't think.
              I actually agree with you on the above (on a few things actually :shock: , it's more just the harping back and expecting everything to be as good as it was that grates, but there you go)

With record numbers in the London Marathon, of all events distance ones are the area that should be competitive - as we've seen with the women with Radcliffe, Yamauchi, Pavey, Damen and Yelling A standard marathon times and Clitheroe and Purdue with decent 10km times, but the men (Farah and Thompson excepted) don't seem to have caught the same bug from the 5km up. Has Stewart focused on the women, or are they doing it themselves?

Comment

Double post I'm on my phone !!
                i deserve extra credit

Comment

We have other 10k runners they didn't run at the trials one of them is called mo farah you night have heard of him. Although you consider him 'overrated'

As for Christine is there anything wrong with being optimistic ?? She came 5th in Berlin off ao injury plagued buildup and if there is one person you should never count out it's her. It's not like anyone is running super fast times high 49 could medal and it's possible Christine could run that. It may not be likely but if you're not allowed to support your own athletes :roll:
                  i deserve extra credit

Comment

you can and should post better than that. I know Mo farah as well as you and you were not predicting a world beater two or three years ago, so climb down cheerleader.

A knowledgeable fan should look at facts and make reasonable predictions and Ohuruogu by any stretch of the imagination is going to have to produce miracles which most of us find it hard to believe in. I look forward to reading posters from you and your fellow cheerleading flag Wavers' in the next few weeks, as you turn athletic cartwheels in support of the AW/UKA chaps telling us about the new Golden Era of British athletics.

The only reason to watch in person the AAA Champs was to avoid the BBC. Good decision....slightly. :lol:

Comment

The golden age of Brit discus throwers did not quite make it today; an improvement on previous years yes .... but the Chula Vista and other nice friendly comps with a big wind is a little different to the "real thing". Okoye's 67 metres is a rare flower but not when it counts...58 metres and bits today.
                      Basically our vaunted discus throwers are about 60/62 metres genuine throwers at the moment and will improve, but, please, less of the hype. leave that to the dreadful British sports press.

My prediction is that they will take 3 discus guys to Daegu and one will qualify for the final..you see i am quite the optimist.

Comment

Originally posted by mump boy
                        Double post I'm on my phone !!
                        You should be aware that if your post is the last one in a thread, you can delete it. There's a delete button in the upper right--it's an X right next to the edit button. That button remains there until it's no longer the last post on the thread. So when you accidentally double post (which occasionally happens), you just have to delete the later of the two posts. You don't have to use the edit function. Of course if someone has posted on the thread in the meantime, you can't do that.

(I did this as a post rather than a PM because I thought it might be of general interest--I've seen others in the same situation who apparently did not realize that a message can be deleted.)

Comment

Of course there is nothing wrong with supporting CO or any athlete from your country-hell you should see the level of athletes I support!

I just get tired of hearing that she is a big time performer, don't count her out etc every time she performs poorly.
                          I do not respect athletes who sandbag it most of time and especially on relays! She seems to be pretty lazy actually. I prefer athletes who work hard all the time and who you know will always give their best effort whatever that is. CO runs so many poor races-surely by now she knows how to run a 400! Because that will be the other excuse-she ran a poor race tactically....like yesterday apparently.
                          She should not be losing to a 400mH hurdler at this time of year.

Comment

At the risk of awaking old animosities....

What has happened to WIll Sharman? Good runs by Clarke and Frankis, though. The 110 hurdles looks decent, with Andy Turner to come into consideration as well, obviously.
                            My heart is still in the Caribbean....

Comment

Originally posted by shivfan
                              At the risk of awaking old animosities....

What has happened to WIll Sharman? Good runs by Clarke and Frankis, though. The 110 hurdles looks decent, with Andy Turner to come into consideration as well, obviously.
                              He's been injured a fair bit - only done about 5 meets this year, I think

Comment

Thanks, jimbo....

That was an easy win for Mo Farah. But he's looking so good these days!
                                8-)
                                Is he the man to finally break the east African domination of the 5k=10k events?
                                My heart is still in the Caribbean....

Comment

Working...
                                X