Stanford 10000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stanford 10000

David Monti is reporting in RRW that Meb is going out at 13:30 and Lagat is going to jump in.

Re: Stanford 10000

Here is the remaining schedule of events (all times PST):
    8:35pm Men's 5000m (Section A)
    8:55pm Men's Kim McDonald Memorial 10,000m
    9:30pm Women's 5000m (Section A)
    9:50pm Women's Kim McDonald Memorial 10,000m
    10:35pm Men's 10,000m (Section B)

The live coverage link is at http://gostanford.collegesports.com/spo ... nvite.html

Comment

Keflezighi winner in 27:24.10, Kiplitan 2nd in 27:32.30, Lombard 27:33.53, Abdirahman 27:34.24
      Kennedy next in 27:37.45 then Ritzenhein 27:38.50, Browne 27:42.19

Comment

not bad

Comment

Great live coverage! Almost like being there.

Comment

>Great live coverage! Almost like being there.
            Well, not quite as good as the European meets with audio. But worth staying up late for those of us rabid fans who are two or three time zones away! (Yawn) But what a shot in the arm for many US distance runners.

Of course, I'm sure that the entire meet was televised live in Canada...

Comment

I'm guessing there was a bit of a mis-entry in the huge collection of splits included in the latest e-TFN. Browne in 7th place appears to launch into a big kick a couple laps too early, pay for it on the 2nd last one, then come back decently strong on the closer:
              "67.1 [24:27.4], 56.4 [25:23.8], 76.5 [26:40.3], 61.9"

I'm pretty sure I can guess what the actual times were though for laps 23 and 24.

Comment

Good eye! I believe it should be:

66.4 [25:33.8], 66.5

Comment

Was lucky enough to attend the meet -- great night for distance, 55-60 degrees and no wind, nice crowd, though the venue holds less spectators than I expected. A mini-Oslo in Palo Alto. The 10,000 was amazing, with Lagat pacing Meb and Kef so smoothly, and with the excitement rising as Lagat kept them going well below Olympic standard pace, and just when you thought it had to slack he throws in a 64; watching Kennedy try to hang on, but dropping back into a second pack and wondering if he still had it to keep it going at that pace; and Kef falling off the pace but still hanging in noman's land between groups for most of the race; and not knowing how long Lagat would hang in there -- had he really planned to go almost 4 miles at that pace? And though it was clear Meb would be under the standard (heck, he was at American record pace for quite a while), we wondered whether the pack would have to fade, but they hung in there --

Other highlights -- Culpeper absolutely smoking the last lap of the 5,000 -- O'Sullivan had built a very big lead, and then suddenly Shayne turns it on with 400 to go and looks like she actually might catch her (didn't turn out all that close, but Culpeper just MOVED down the backstretch). And Teter lost the 1500 because of a brave move by Elmore to get 15 or 20 meters ahead by the bell lap -- looked very strong.

Also Lunn ran a very smart race -- didn't go with the rabbit; only Stember went with the rabbit, and after two laps they had quite a lead, and Stember (who seemed a bit full of himself) motioned back to the pack (maybe to Lunn) to come on up, join the race -- I guess he wanted the standard -- but no one took the bait, and then on the last lap Lunn just swept past Stember and won convincingly, with Stember fading unimpressively. Lunn later said he had no intention of going after the standard, he just wanted to win.

Had dinner in Oakland the next day and in walks Regina Jacobs! She sat with a companion in a corner of the bar, screened from the rest of the restaurant --

Comment

Working...
                  X