Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: DL London: W 5000m

Originally posted by drbop
    If Huddle declines her spot due to injury and Rhines declines her spot due to running the 10K,
    I think Hastings B, Davila A, and Fleshman A could go. I think that people in 6th and 7th at USATF can be added if they don't displace anyone higher.
    Meaning they could chase as long as they were in the final...thus having a rank order of finish.

Comment

Originally posted by guru
      Originally posted by Dutra
      By the interpretation guru is using the US would have one entrant in the 1500m and that would be Andrew Wheating since he was the only runner with so much as a "B" standard.
      Huh?

Centrowitz, Manzano, and Wheating were all top 4 at USATF, thus eligible to chase a qualifier(and all got it).
      This is what you stated:

As I have stated, others outside the top 4 ARE eligible to fill out fields - IF they had the applicable standard at the end of the USATF champs.
      with the exception of Wheating, who had the B, none of these guys...including Lagat, had any standard of qualification to the World Championships at the end of the USATF meet or is this something yet again you are going to read into the rules which are not written?

I'm starting to think you're just trolling now.

But i'll say it again anyway. They didnt need to have the standard by the end of the USATF meet because they were IN THE TOP 4. Therefore, they had the opportunity to chase the applicable standard.
      You know what....I misread your point on this. My apologies. I still disagree on the chasing issue but I see what you're saying here.

Comment

Originally posted by drbop
        If Huddle declines her spot due to injury and Rhines declines her spot due to running the 10K,
        I think Hastings B, Davila A, and Fleshman A could go. I think that people in 6th and 7th at USATF can be added if they don't displace anyone higher.
        Meaning they could chase as long as they were in the final...thus having a rank order of finish.

Comment

So it turns out that although Fleshman didn't push anyone else out, she did in fact have the opportunity to chase.

Comment

Originally posted by KevinM
            So it turns out that although Fleshman didn't push anyone else out, she did in fact have the opportunity to chase.

Were Culley and Spence, who were in front of Fleshman at Nationals, also aware that they could chase?
            There are no strings on me

Comment

that question has been troubling me too. I'm a great proponent of "tweaking the rules" so long as nobody gets hurt, but in this instance, the playing field may indeed not have been level for those ahead of Fleshman.

Although, of course, she may not have been "actively chasing" a Q, simply pursuing her normal summer of professional racing.

Comment

From Fleshman's blog following her London win:

"Because I finished so far back at USA’s, there are a lot of people who can take the open spot at Worlds before me. There is a chance I could go to Daegu for the World Championships if like 23 things fall into place at once, but none of them are in my control. I delayed my flight back to the USA for a week to let the chips fall where they may."

Looks like all 23 things fell into place.

Comment

Originally posted by ExCoastRanger

Imagine that...
                  There are no strings on me

Comment

Originally posted by ExCoastRanger

Imagine that...
                    I guess the first two 200m intervals did not count

The difficulty of Hastings (and thus Bazzarri) getting the "A" will give an indication how difficult it would have been for Spence, et al to improve by the amount necessary to hit the requisite mark. Also, the ability of the athlete to get into appropriate races is a function of the path that they have made for themselves, and that is not an 'unfair' advantage, even if it is an advantage. I would not be surprised if Spence thinks it is a bit ahead of what she wants right now.

Comment

Originally posted by 26mi235
                      The difficulty of Hastings (and thus Bazzarri) getting the "A" will give an indication how difficult it would have been for Spence, et al to improve by the amount necessary to hit the requisite mark. Also, the ability of the athlete to get into appropriate races is a function of the path that they have made for themselves, and that is not an 'unfair' advantage, even if it is an advantage. I would not be surprised if Spence thinks it is a bit ahead of what she wants right now.
                      While a valid point, it's immaterial to the ambiguity of the selection procedure.

Comment

Originally posted by KevinM
                        Originally posted by 26mi235
                        While a valid point, it's immaterial to the ambiguity of the selection procedure.
                        Do these people carry phones?

Comment

Well, by whatever convoluted and contingent means this worked out for Fleshman, I'm glad it did. After the USATF meet, she used whatever means and motivation she had to to go to Europe and pursue her goals, not knowing whether it would lead to a WC berth or not. As she noted in her blog (cited above), a whole bunch of things beyond her control had to fall into place, but she did what only she could do -- use her opportunities to race her best, and see what happened. Of those who finished ahead of her at USATF, not all had the same energy/health, motivation/aims, or opportunities/support after that meet to keep going into the European season. I don't know the details of their circumstances; and in some ways, the opportunities are unevenly distributed, along with the guidelines being "byzantinely" formulated. All that acknowledged, I am very happy for Fleshman, and hope the upward curve she's on right now continues straight through Daegu.

Comment

MasterPo...very nice summary of the situation...and my feeling exactly...I'm pleased that Fleshman is in...ironically our USATF 8th place finisher is now our top competitor in the W 5000m...

Comment

I think 26mi and Po have it right.
                              I'm happy for Fleshman too, and if it were my decision I probably would have selected her.

Which brings me to my question... Who does decide?
                              Does anybody know?
                              I mean, ultimately, it must come down to one or two or three people deciding, "Yes, she goes," and I'm just wondering who it is and how it's done.
                              It's not supposed to be a secret, is it?

Comment

I think it was an automatic, once the people who finished ahead of her at the Nationals and had qualifying times decided not to go for whatever reason. I'm pretty sure that must have been what happened here.

Comment

Working...
                                X