9.91 -1.7 Bolt London 2009
    9.94 -1.0 Greene Zurich 2000
    9.94 -1.7 Gay London 2010
    9.95 -1.6 Blake London 2011
    9.96 -1.7 Powell London 2010
    9.96 -1.0 Greene Uniondale 1998
    9.96 -1.6 Gay London 2010 Heats
    9.97 -1.0 Burrell Barcelona 1992 Heats

Looking these times only the 3 fastest runners in the history(Bolt,Gay and Powell)had better times headwind that Blake(Gay only a little bit faster).
    Is curious that all these runners were gold medals or broke world records.

I think that Blake if is healthy the next years he will get great things...

Re: BLAKE ONE OF THE BEST TIMES WITH HEADWIND IN THE HISTORY

By curious we can see that in the last 3 years very horrible headwind in London(so very bad place for get good times i see)

Comment

I want to buy into this but what is the parametric calibration for BIG HEADWINDS? Is it only
      -0.1m/s, or -0.1m/s to -2.0m/s ,or -3m/s?

Comment

Pelpa, you should read better at beginning, tell big headwind(-1 metre/second min).
        I think that big headwind is it(min -1m/s), and here are the best times with big headwind.

Regards

Comment

Re: Blake One Of The Best Times With Headwind In The History

I think I know the problem; one of us does not write English as a first language. I am sorry and the rule of the board asks that those of us who identify such ought not use it as leverage.
          Either that or one of us is using a weird alien communication tablet.

Comment

Your list is incomplete, because you have neglected several slower runs with stronger headwinds. For instance:

Donovan Bailey: 10.03 (-2.1) ---> 9.90

It's always difficult to rank "best headwind races" because some good performances are masked by otherwise horrible conditions.

Comment

Blake has had multiple performances that would be in the 9.8's when converted for wind:

Using JRM's wind/altitude conversion calculator, Blake's performances are as such:

His 9.95 (-1.6) run today converts to 9.85 basic-time

His 9.89 (-0.4) run in last year's London race converts to 9.86

And another very strong performance of his that is probably overlooked a lot was:

His 10.28 (-5.0 (yes, that's FIVE point O m/s headwind)) in Kingston last year converts to 9.90

Anyways, this dude is definitely fast as hell, and most likely would've run a high 9.7 or low 9.8 today if the race had been run in the opposite direction.

But what's sicker still, is the fact that he's even more brutally absurdly fast in the 200 than he is in the 100 (in my opinion), given that he ran a 19.7x in a race where he ran one of the slowest curves I have EVER seen in a professional 200 meter race in my entire life, he was not just merely in last place coming off the curve in that race, no, he was like LIGHTYEARS behind the entire field coming off the curve, like, as in he should have run something like a 20.4x or so in that race, given where he was coming off the curve, and yet managed a freaking 19.7x somehow in that race. Truly utterly unreal, his closing speed on the straightaway in that 200m race made Wallace Spearmon's best straightaway closes look like GARBAGE by comparison, and you know how hard Spearmon could close the straightaway in his prime. I seriously think Blake is a 19-low talent for the 200 meters, if he learns how to run the curve properly, based on what he did in that 200m race I'm referring to.

Anyways, all around though the guy is an incredible sprinting talent no doubt, and I can't wait to see what he does in his career. If he can stay healthy and uninjured, I suspect very big things from him no doubt.

Comment

Totally agree with you. He did not run the 200m at the Jamaica trials due to a slight injury he picked up in the 100m.

He will certainly double next year.

Comment

"best headwind time" isn't a really significant category because so few major races are ever run with headwinds, so the sample size isn't really meaningful.

And in terms of adjusted times, Blake last night isn't in sniffing distance of the meaningful times in that category. You can find the all-time list here

http://www.trackandfieldnews.com/archiv ... justed.pdf

Having said that, allow me to clarify that he is nonetheless a huge prospect. I'll be surprised if he doesn't medal in both in Daegu, and pending the health of his more famous countryman, wouldn't be surprised if he ends up on the top rung somewhere.

Comment

i was looking at the times how does asafa's 9.78 with 0.0 wind converts to 9.79. seems mathematically incorrect

Comment

Originally posted by efua ninsin
                      i was looking at the times how does asafa's 9.7 with 0.0 wind converts to 9.79. seems mathematically incorrect
                      Could be adjusted for altitude? (Just guessing)
                      -- God is a word - life is reality --

Comment

Before yesterday, I was not convinced that Blake had done enough this season to be thought of as a medallist at Daegu, but after last night's race I've changed my mind....

The top three places at Daegu may well be a Jamaica 1-2-3 between Bolt, Powell and Blake, but in which order is a matter for debate.
                        My heart is still in the Caribbean....

Comment

gh i dont put this list like something "really significant", i put this list like curious, the 10 fastest times with big headwind, only by curious.

JRM yes that time of Donovan Bailey is really fast but i only wrote 10 best times sub10 with big headwind, of course we could use" wind/altitude conversion calculator",and put 10 best times too, it was by curious. The list is not perfect, but i only want show that the race yesterday was really fast with big headwind and Blake is a great runner and in the future he can get excellent times.

Regards to everybody

Comment

it should really be safa - bolt - blake. but we all know that the first name has a high possibility of messing that up

Comment

Originally posted by Loggins
                              Originally posted by efua ninsin
                              i was looking at the times how does asafa's 9.7 with 0.0 wind converts to 9.79. seems mathematically incorrect
                              Could be adjusted for altitude? (Just guessing)
                              Yes, adjusted for both. It's pointless to adjust for one and not the other, because when you get right down to it, they're both the same thing: put very simply, that's how many of those pesky air molecules you have to fight your way through. The fewer the faster.

Comment

Working...
                              X