Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

does anybody follow the Diamond League standings?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• does anybody follow the Diamond League standings?

Am I the only one who finds that the concept of 32 different diamond chases just doesn't have any traction? I mean, we've been at this going on 3 months now, and I'm no seeing anybody's pre-meet publicity trying to make hay out of the fact that they have any DL leader coming to town.

Admittedly, the PA was hard to heard in London last week (maybe just in my section), but I don't recall the announcers ever pointing out that anybody was a leader coming in, or that somebody had just passed somebody else for the lead.

And it's not as if the DL website makes it easy to find out who the leaders are. I mean, you have to start by risking opening the DL site and having your ears assaulted by that over-the-top, never-ending and annoying fanfare (but that's a rant for another day).

Once there, in the middle of 8 choices in the left-hand nav you'll find "Diamond Race." Put your cursor over it and the pull-down menu gives you three more options. Choose doors 2 or 3 and you go somewhere you don't want to be. Choose door No. 1 (what's more logical than to choose "Overview Disciplines" when you'e looking for "diamond race"?).

That leads you to this (for your ease, I've boldfaced what you're actually looking for):

<<Welcome to the Diamond Race
    Points & Prize Money
    The Samsung Diamond League encompasses 32 individual Event Disciplines, with a points scoring ‘Diamond Race’ which runs throughout the 14 meeting series. Winners of each Diamond Race will get a Diamond Trophy and a cash prize but more importantly, will have shown season long consistency to earn the unchallenged honour of being the World Number 1.

From the links on this page you can access the Rules, Points System and Prize Money Structure of the Diamond Race.

HOW IT WORKS
    Rules and Regulations of Samsung Diamond League
    DOWNLOAD (PDF)
    Rules and Regulations of Samsung Diamond League
    Actual Standings
    2011 season of Samsung Diamond League - Event Disciplines per meeting
    2011 season of Samsung Diamond League - Diamond Race season per discipline
    Diamond Race - POINTS SYSTEM & PRIZE MONEY STRUCTURE>>

I think I could beat Super Mario Brothers 2 faster than I solved this puzzle :mrgreen:

Re: does anybody follow the Diamond League standings?

Originally posted by gh
    Am I the only one who finds that the concept of 32 different diamond chases just doesn't have any traction?
    Well, that's true, but having one (or two) big chases would almost certainly be worse - they'd either use some totally arbitrary and nonsensical scoring system or go by number of wins, when DL becomes just GL with a less climactic finish (because DL has two final meetings instead of one)...

Comment

Of course, the "drama" last year, as I recall, found that fewer than half of the diamonds were decided in Zürich or Brussels. I haven't looked yet to see how many of this year's are already clinched.

Comment

Cool--there will be drama this year, as the number of already-clinched* events is exceedingly low, if I'm reading the numbers correctly.

On the men's side, only Idowu.

On the women's, Jeter, Montsho, Chemos & Vlasic (Spencer needs only be 2nd or 3rd if Hejnova wins).

* = as Dix discovered last year, you gotta actually show up at the final.

Comment

I think Obergföll has clinched? 10 points ahead of Špotáková...

Comment

Yes, she has; a widowed page at the end of the PDF I downloaded (another part of my rant; on my machine, at least, having to download a PDF to view the standings).

Comment

No downloads required - http://www.diamondleague.com/en/Samsung ... iscipline/

Comment

GH you have hit on two sore points of the diamond league, the website it terrible for navigating and the whole concept is stupid lack drama and "catchiness". i do not think even at the finals there is drama beside the athlete winning about the idea of diamonds on the line

Comment

I'm as big a track fan as anybody in the world, and my interest in the Diamaond League standings, or the USA VISA standings, is non-existent.

Comment

Originally posted by gh

* = as Dix discovered last year, you gotta actually show up at the final.
                    Well Dix would have showed for the final but went out injured.

I guess for the next 2 years we will see the same trend of less predetermined winners since it is a year with majors and most athletes will compete more conservatively on the circuit.

Comment

Originally posted by LopenUupunut
                      Sorry, should have clarified that I meant a composite, all events at once. Your approach requires opening 32 different documents.

Comment

Originally posted by dukehjsteve
                        I'm as big a track fan as anybody in the world, and my interest in the Diamaond League standings, or the USA VISA standings, is non-existent.
                        Yes. In the words of Elvis Costello, "less than zero."

Comment

Visiting the DL website is like going to the dentist.

You don't want to do it. You only do it because there is absolutely no alternative. And no matter what your reason for going, you know it's gonna be painful.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                            Am I the only one who finds that the concept of 32 different diamond chases just doesn't have any traction? I mean, we've been at this going on 3 months now, and I'm no seeing anybody's pre-meet publicity trying to make hay out of the fact that they have any DL leader coming to town.

Admittedly, the PA was hard to heard in London last week (maybe just in my section), but I don't recall the announcers ever pointing out that anybody was a leader coming in, or that somebody had just passed somebody else for the lead.
                            The answer for me to the original question is no, but I will note that on both the Universal Sports online streaming video and also (I think) the tv broadcasts they normally do show the standings at the end after they show the results of an event. In the context of a series of tv broadcasts the concept at least makes slightly more sense.

Comment

Does anyone follow the golf and tennis standings? I believe both sports have some kind of point system, but you rarely see the standings in the newpapers, and the attention in the media seems to be focused more on the individual tournaments than on the impact of a particular tournament's result, especially if it doesn't affect the number 1 position.

Comment

Working...
                              X