Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

does anybody follow the Diamond League standings?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATK
    replied
    Re: does anybody follow the Diamond League standings?

Dix and Bolt are actually tied for the DL 200m

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied

FWIW, and since you apparently can't find such a simple compilation anywhere on the DL site, here's the leaders leading into the finals

http://www.trackandfieldnews.com/index. ... arId=62224

Leave a comment:

• lovetorun
    replied

I'm with steve, kuha and mark...zero interest...we love the reults of the compettion in each event in the track meet, not some point total that is comparatively irrelavent.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied

Originally posted by tandfman
    Does anyone follow the golf and tennis standings? I believe both sports have some kind of point system, but you rarely see the standings in the newpapers,....
    I do. And my paper runs multiple versions of golf rankings on at least a weekly basis. For a casual fan, there's no better way to keep up on a sport. NASCAR too.

Doesn't work for us, of course, because even a hardcore fan is going to be offput by having to keep track of 32 leaders instead of just 2. Just another cross our sport has to bear.

Leave a comment:

• marknhj
    replied

Originally posted by kuha
    Originally posted by dukehjsteve
    I'm as big a track fan as anybody in the world, and my interest in the Diamaond League standings, or the USA VISA standings, is non-existent.
    Yes. In the words of Elvis Costello, "less than zero."
    I'm with Steve and kuha, absolutely zero interest. Plus I'll throw Joan Armatrading and the Smashing Pumpkins into the mix.

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied

Does anyone follow the golf and tennis standings? I believe both sports have some kind of point system, but you rarely see the standings in the newpapers, and the attention in the media seems to be focused more on the individual tournaments than on the impact of a particular tournament's result, especially if it doesn't affect the number 1 position.

Leave a comment:

• donley2
    replied

Originally posted by gh
    Am I the only one who finds that the concept of 32 different diamond chases just doesn't have any traction? I mean, we've been at this going on 3 months now, and I'm no seeing anybody's pre-meet publicity trying to make hay out of the fact that they have any DL leader coming to town.

Admittedly, the PA was hard to heard in London last week (maybe just in my section), but I don't recall the announcers ever pointing out that anybody was a leader coming in, or that somebody had just passed somebody else for the lead.
    The answer for me to the original question is no, but I will note that on both the Universal Sports online streaming video and also (I think) the tv broadcasts they normally do show the standings at the end after they show the results of an event. In the context of a series of tv broadcasts the concept at least makes slightly more sense.

Leave a comment:

• Vault-emort
    replied

Visiting the DL website is like going to the dentist.

You don't want to do it. You only do it because there is absolutely no alternative. And no matter what your reason for going, you know it's gonna be painful.

Leave a comment:

• kuha
    replied

Originally posted by dukehjsteve
    I'm as big a track fan as anybody in the world, and my interest in the Diamaond League standings, or the USA VISA standings, is non-existent.
    Yes. In the words of Elvis Costello, "less than zero."

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied

Originally posted by LopenUupunut
    Sorry, should have clarified that I meant a composite, all events at once. Your approach requires opening 32 different documents.

Leave a comment:

• ATK
    replied

Originally posted by gh

* = as Dix discovered last year, you gotta actually show up at the final.
    Well Dix would have showed for the final but went out injured.

I guess for the next 2 years we will see the same trend of less predetermined winners since it is a year with majors and most athletes will compete more conservatively on the circuit.

Leave a comment:

• dukehjsteve
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Alucard
    replied

GH you have hit on two sore points of the diamond league, the website it terrible for navigating and the whole concept is stupid lack drama and "catchiness". i do not think even at the finals there is drama beside the athlete winning about the idea of diamonds on the line

Leave a comment:

• LopenUupunut
    replied

No downloads required - http://www.diamondleague.com/en/Samsung ... iscipline/

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied

Yes, she has; a widowed page at the end of the PDF I downloaded (another part of my rant; on my machine, at least, having to download a PDF to view the standings).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X