Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

world's greatest athletes not going to daegu?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• world's greatest athletes not going to daegu?

who are the world's greatest athletes that are not going to be in daegu because:

a) the 3 per country rule

b) injury

c) other reasons

???????

Re: world's greatest athletes not going to daegu?

Gay, from the injury side, but there have to be a lot in other events as well.

Koech in the steeple? (and they get four, right?)

Russian HJ and any other defenders not going (or going injured)?

Comment

If they don't compete, Kenenisa Bekele and Tirunesh Dibaba, both former Athletes of the Year. Jeremy Wariner, injury
      Most of the best marathoners, $$$$$$ and possibly weather
      Yaroslav Rybakov, although I read he may change his mind and will compete
      http://www.runners.ru/news.html

Paul Koech, failure to make Kenyan team
      Teddy Tamgho, injury
      Pamela Jelimo, injury or ??? (was a mirage?)
      Gulnara Galkina, failed to make Russian team
      Ariane Friedrich, ???

Is Jessica Ennis not out with injury?
      Cheers,
      Alan Shank
      Woodland, CA, USA

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Shank
        Is Jessica Ennis not out with injury?
        Cheers,
        Alan Shank
        Woodland, CA, USA
        She PRed in the hurdles late last week

Comment

Chaunte Lowe not going due to having baby too close to US Champs. I wished she would have chased an A standard, as there is an open spot on the US team.

Comment

Originally posted by mcgato
            Chaunte Lowe not going due to having baby too close to US Champs. I wished she would have chased an A standard, as there is an open spot on the US team.
            Given what happened in the women's 5000, it seems Lowe could have chased the A standard. I don't know whether anyone ever told her that (or told her the contrary).

Comment

Originally posted by mcgato
              I wish the IAAF hadn't been so silly as to futz with the Q-period. In any other year she would have had the Q from the previous year and been on the team. And could have had a proper easing back into competition after the baby, other than rushing things having to jump for height in Eugene. A real travesty.

As it was, she was required to be in shape a full 2 months earlier than she should have.

Comment

i think the main focus of my question was really athletes out of daegu due to a). i mean, i understand we think of jelimo or other great athletes of past years, but they are not in form this year. that's the nature of sport, people come and go. example, who'd thought in years past that jason richardson would be one of the top 3 or 4 in the men's 110 h, going into the WC, but here he is.

i think the iaaf needs to rethink the 3-max quota per country. why not expand to 4 or 5? as it is, there's truly world class athletes, among the top 10 that are not going to hte WC, such as:

US/jam sprinters (100/200/400)
                US hurdlers (100/110H)
                finland mJTers
                russian wLJ
                kenyan/ethiopian middle/long distancers
                etc. etc.

i think these are the greatest absences of the WCs. my question was, who among these absentees, are the greatest and will be most missed?

Comment

Originally posted by uakari
                  i think the main focus of my question was really athletes out of daegu due to a). i mean, i understand we think of jelimo or other great athletes of past years, but they are not in form this year. that's the nature of sport, people come and go. example, who'd thought in years past that jason richardson would be one of the top 3 or 4 in the men's 110 h, going into the WC, but here he is.

i think the iaaf needs to rethink the 3-max quota per country. why not expand to 4 or 5? as it is, there's truly world class athletes, among the top 10 that are not going to hte WC, such as:

US/jam sprinters (100/200/400)
                  US hurdlers (100/110H)
                  finland mJTers
                  russian wLJ
                  kenyan/ethiopian middle/long distancers
                  etc. etc.

i think these are the greatest absences of the WCs. my question was, who among these absentees, are the greatest and will be most missed?
                  Has to be a Kenyan runner or Russian Jumper or American w100h. Jamaica doesn't have athletes that didn't make the team that I would guess would beat Bolt and Powell on the men's side or any of the women currently running on the women's side.

Comment

i forgot some russian w800 will be left behind...

Comment

Looking at 2011 performances, the most obvious to me is Paul Koech (steeple): #3 time this year (and one of only 3 sub-8:00), and five of the top 11 performances. He has five performances @ 8:05.xx or better. Granted, in this event, some great Kenyans will always be left aside and would be even if they were allowed five entries -- there are 10 steeplers @ sub-8:10 this year, and 7 are Kenyans. That noted, Koech seems to me to be one of the 3 best in the world in this event right now. Too bad he won't be in Daegu, though this event is likely as usual to be a Kenyan sweep in any case.

Comment

But they could take Koech; heck the fifth fastest is over 8:00, which is just under that B standard :lol: .

Comment

Working...
                        X