X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thorkildsen 90,61m at Norwegian champs

WL

Re: Thorkildsen 90,61m at Norwegian champs

Relative to his talent, Thorkildsen is one of the most underrated athletes around. I include myself in this summation, since I have payed him little attention over the years. Amittedly, he has not got close to Zelezny's WR. But his championship record must be one of the best ever. He deserves more attention than he receives, both from fans and casual viewers.

Comment

Also close to the top on the personality charts. Wicked sense of humor (in English). Great fun to schmooze with after a meet.

Comment

When he arrived at the stadium today he said that if he did not throw over 90 meters (295-3) he would cut his hair off. So, no need for that

It was a bit more windy than he would have wanted but once the jav was airborne it was fine.

He had been a bit unwell for a few days and had not had any hard throwing sessions for a while and it's been a while since his last comp. So there was some rust, but now the rust is gone!

He doesn't think in terms of the WR. It's too outrageous. 93-94 meters is still possible.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
          Also close to the top on the personality charts. Wicked sense of humor (in English). Great fun to schmooze with after a meet.
          It's deffo his wicked sense of humour that interests me :wink:
          i deserve extra credit

Comment

No. 3 throw of his career, 8th meet over 90m

Comment

That's gold taken care of then.

Comment

Originally posted by mump boy
                Originally posted by gh
                It's deffo his wicked sense of humour that interests me :wink:

Hey step away from Andreas.
                Besides he plays for my team. 8-) :lol: :wink:

Remarkable athlete. He makes it look so easy people do take him for granted I think.

Comment

Originally posted by mojo
                  Hey step away from Andreas.
                  Besides he plays for my team.
                  And people think I have a crush on Stacy . . . :roll: :evil: :P

Comment

Definitely one of the greatest athletes around. Very impressive consistency, great big meet performer and in my view second only to Bolt in men's athletics. In the UK we still get very poor field event coverage (at least on BBC) so we're lucky if we get to see more than 2 or 3 throws per competition, but hopefully we'll see more of him at the Worlds.

The javelin has produced some incredible athletes - Lusis, Hohn, Zelezny, Backley - all, with the exception of Hohn, enjoying long careers despite the injury toll the event wreaks upon the elbow. In my opinion one of the most exciting events to watch, particularly in person when you see the arc of the javelin's flight.

Comment

Yeah, a 90 meter javelin throw is awesome to watch in person. Much, much more impressive than the usual 80+ meter throw.

Of all the world records, Hohn and Zeleznys ones are the ones I would most have wished to see in person.

Comment

Don't know about wanting to be there to see Hohn's - might have been distinctly dangerous! The footage shows athletes scattering for safety when the javelin lands!

Comment

Working...
                        X