Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K Bekele IN for Daegu

I see in a home-page-linked article that his manager (Hermans!) says he's fit and ready to go. Taken at face value, they makes him the fave to beat Mo. What think ye?

Re: K Bekele IN for Daegu

If he wins this, with no races since January 2010, he is the GOAT! :shock:

Comment

For once, Bekele is not the unalloyed favorite (well, he wasn't in that one 5000 either). Even if he is 90% back (which is pretty good), Mo has shown an ability to run a very fast finish, ramped up before the last lap and still run a world-class time. I doubt Bekele can run away from him and his legendary kick is probably not much above Mo's and we do not know if he is 'race sharp'.

Comment

If he even finishes the race (i.e. doesn't fall victim to an injury physical or psychological) then I'll be super impressed...

A victory would be an astounding achievement

Comment

if he loses, it'll be his first 10K loss ever (my money on Farah I think)

Comment

I can't bring myself to pick against him; he's just been too devastatingly good up to now. I bet Mo IS concerned. :wink:

Comment

Every GOAT has his day (of falling to the new Prince) and soon, very soon, Bekele may have his.

Comment

he has not run in two years. it is doubtful he can last the back and forth pace of the kenyans. it is likely he will dnf if the pace is brisk, 27 low.

Comment

My guess is that with the weather it will start 27-mid, then start working erratically toward 27-low by getting faster over the lap. Not sure if it will be a barn-burner of a last 400-600 or the last 1400 will get increasingly faster so that the last 800 is well south of 2:00. However, Mo seems to have both of these tempos covered. Will the Kenyans work him and Bekele and Rupp over -- there are only three of them and four Ethiopians, remember.

Comment

Imane Merga will take care of things, if you know what I mean.

Comment

I don't think Bekele would compete if he didn't think he had at least a reasonable chance of winning. With a reputation like that, it's much better to skip the WC than to run and finish outside the top 3.
                      Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

On the one hand, it's hard to imagine KB not winning, as he's always won at this distance. On the other hand, it's hard to imagine any athlete stepping into the WC for his first race in 2 years, and doing anything. But, I think Powell's point is a good one -- very hard to imagine KB committing to this race if he didn't think he was prepared to be in the mix for the win.

Related question: could someone remind me who are the other Ethiopians in this event at Daegu? Merga, and who else?

Comment

I think Ibrahim Jeilan is one.

Comment

Him and Sihine...

Comment

believe Sihine has stress fracture in foot and is out

Comment

Working...
                              X