Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jamaican sprinters on top of the world again

Jamaican sprinters won the 100m (men and women) at World University Games. Jamaican sprinters have now won every major sprint title from World Youth/World Junior to World and OLympic championship.

Great achievement.

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport/Ru ... es_9469156

Re: Jamaican sprinters on top of the world again

Cool story...

Comment

Originally posted by notorious
      Jamaican sprinters won the 100m (men and women) at World University Games. Jamaican sprinters have now won every major sprint title from World Youth/World Junior to World and OLympic championship.
      Great achievement.
      Enjoy it while you can. The USA has been there often. GB has been there. Even France and Canada have been there. It's a precarious perch. One that EVERYONE eventually gets knocked off of.

But I agree (and even tried starting a thread on it): Jamaica reigns supreme now.

Comment

Harvey also joins Usain Bolt (Olympic and World Championships); Lerone Clarke (Commonwealth Games); Dexter Lee (World Junior Championships); O'Dail Todd (World Youth Championships) and Odean Skeen (Youth Olympics) as reigning champions of the 100m event at global championships.

The more significant point to be made is that Jamaicans currently hold every global M100 title. That we are fairly certain has never been achieved by USA, Canada or France, with all due respect to Marlow, even if we disregard the Commonwealth games titles for which USA and France are not eligible.

Comment

Pretty sure Jamaica is the first ever to hold all sprint titles.
          http://img2.pict.com/c9/f0/bf/2845608/0/b.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by JWiz
            The ONLY titles that matter (primarily because all nations can participate and place an emphasis on them) are OG and WC. Are we talking only 100/200? Pretty sure USA has done that. 400 also? 4x1 also?

I don't mean to be putting Jam 'down', just clarifying the issue.

Comment

FYI

Both athletes are members of the MVP track club in Kingston.

Comment

Did USA bring a team? 10.14 for a global college aged athletes championship seems pretty slow. 10.14 is like 4th at NCAA's.

Comment

The U.S. didn't exactly send their best option. Justin Murdock finished 5th in his prelim at the NCAA's. The U.S. had better sprinters they could've sent.

Comment

Originally posted by JWiz
                    You are correct.

Comment

When every little kid wants to be the next Usain Bolt, they got something going and it's not stopping. Jamaica will rule the sprints from here on out. Sure there wil be that once in awhile American or somebody from another Carib island or a fluke European but that won't matter. Jama will have more majors finalists, always be in the 4x1 hunt and win more medals in the 100/200/4x1 than any other country from now on. I'm from California, not Jamaica.

Sprinters born in Jamaica

Herb McKenley
                      Dennis Johnson
                      Don Quarrie
                      Lennox Miller
                      Ray Stewart
                      Linford Christie
                      Donovan Bailey
                      Asafa Powel
                      Usain Bolt
                      Nesta Carter
                      Yohan Blake
                      Michael Frater

Obviously I have to ignore Johnson and Mullings. Yes I know there are others but those are the most accomplished.

Unless we bring in all those pre 1960 guys like Bobby Morrow, Jesse Owens etc, not even the mighty USA compares to that.

Just think, they can ban their 9.80 guy, so now they just plug in their 9.78 guy.........whoa!!!!!!!!!

Comment

When I see this happening with Jamaica, they are on top in the sprint world and the youngsters see this and they also want to be on top world-wide at there age levels. What happened with the Bahama's and the Golden Girls where it never seemed to take off with the youngsters? (This might have been in another topic long ago)

Comment

Originally posted by Avante
                          When every little kid wants to be the next Usain Bolt, they got something going and it's not stopping. Jamaica will rule the sprints from here on out.
                          Wow, strong words, and I have no argument against it, but I do think things go in cycles and certainly THIS is Jamaica's Golden Sprint Age!

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
                            Originally posted by Avante
                            When every little kid wants to be the next Usain Bolt, they got something going and it's not stopping. Jamaica will rule the sprints from here on out.
                            Wow, strong words, and I have no argument against it, but I do think things go in cycles and certainly THIS is Jamaica's Golden Sprint Age!
                            It's their 100/200 Golden Sprint Age, don't forget they one held the 4x4 WR and had the top three ranked 400m guys in the world in Rhoden, McKenley and Wint.

Comment

There are five (seven) events that (can) take less than 48 seconds, the 100, 200, 400, 110h, and 400h (two more for the 4x); Jamaica's men cover less than half of them; hardly the true golden age when they can rarely take bronze in the majority of the races. The women do better than the men, and they have players in the 800 and even a decent 3000SC gal.

Comment

Working...
                              X