X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• notorious
    replied
    Re: Jamaican sprinters on top of the world again

Jamaica's gold medal rush continues at the WUG being held in China.

Jamaica has now won 6 gold medals.

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport/Si ... na_9490748

Leave a comment:

• notorious
    replied

The Jamaican dominance continued today. Jamaicans won the mens and womens 200m(Anneisha McLaughlin and Dwyer) dominated the field in both events.

Leave a comment:

• 26mi235
    replied

Originally posted by uakari
    yeah yeah, wake me up when you people get a world class marathoner or hammer or javelin thrower (or pole vaulter).
    I think that one of the top throwing recruits is a Jamaican (male).

Leave a comment:

• Jamstar 23
    replied

Jamaica will continue to be the major force in the sprints for at least the next 20 years, a century old high school system and the addition of pro and collegiate systems will ensure this.

Leave a comment:

• uakari
    replied

yeah yeah, wake me up when you people get a world class marathoner or hammer or javelin thrower (or pole vaulter).

Leave a comment:

• rudawal
    replied

Originally posted by Powell
    Originally posted by rudawal
    Harvey also joins Usain Bolt (Olympic and World Championships); Lerone Clarke (Commonwealth Games); Dexter Lee (World Junior Championships); O'Dail Todd (World Youth Championships) and Odean Skeen (Youth Olympics) as reigning champions of the 100m event at global championships.
    By what definition are the CG a global championship?
    The above paragraph was a quotation from the newspaper article cited in the opener, and I'm sorry I didn't make that clear. My own statement in the paragrah that followed actually pointed to the restricted nature of the CG and the fact that the US and France are not eligible. Likewise, Jamaica is forgiven for not holding the sprint titles in the European and Asian games.

Leave a comment:

• Powell
    replied

Originally posted by rudawal
    Harvey also joins Usain Bolt (Olympic and World Championships); Lerone Clarke (Commonwealth Games); Dexter Lee (World Junior Championships); O'Dail Todd (World Youth Championships) and Odean Skeen (Youth Olympics) as reigning champions of the 100m event at global championships.
    By what definition are the CG a global championship?

Leave a comment:

• Marlow
    replied

Originally posted by 26mi235
    just over a week to go.
    Made me look at the sked.
    One week from TODAY, at 8pm (ET), the gun for the women's Marathon goes off!
    YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• 26mi235
    replied

Originally posted by Avante
    How about the Golden Age of Sprinting when it comes to events that take less than 40 seconds and you don't have to leap over hurdles
    :lol: [we can all have a bit of fun along the way, ... just over a week to go.

Leave a comment:

• Avante
    replied

Originally posted by 26mi235
    There are five (seven) events that (can) take less than 48 seconds, the 100, 200, 400, 110h, and 400h (two more for the 4x); Jamaica's men cover less than half of them; hardly the true golden age when they can rarely take bronze in the majority of the races. The women do better than the men, and they have players in the 800 and even a decent 3000SC gal.
    How about the Golden Age of Sprinting when it comes to events that take less than 40 seconds and you don't have to leap over hurdles

Leave a comment:

• 26mi235
    replied

There are five (seven) events that (can) take less than 48 seconds, the 100, 200, 400, 110h, and 400h (two more for the 4x); Jamaica's men cover less than half of them; hardly the true golden age when they can rarely take bronze in the majority of the races. The women do better than the men, and they have players in the 800 and even a decent 3000SC gal.

Leave a comment:

• Avante
    replied

Originally posted by Marlow
    When every little kid wants to be the next Usain Bolt, they got something going and it's not stopping. Jamaica will rule the sprints from here on out.
    Wow, strong words, and I have no argument against it, but I do think things go in cycles and certainly THIS is Jamaica's Golden Sprint Age!
    It's their 100/200 Golden Sprint Age, don't forget they one held the 4x4 WR and had the top three ranked 400m guys in the world in Rhoden, McKenley and Wint.

Leave a comment:

• Marlow
    replied

When every little kid wants to be the next Usain Bolt, they got something going and it's not stopping. Jamaica will rule the sprints from here on out.
    Wow, strong words, and I have no argument against it, but I do think things go in cycles and certainly THIS is Jamaica's Golden Sprint Age!

Leave a comment:

• Riff80
    replied

When I see this happening with Jamaica, they are on top in the sprint world and the youngsters see this and they also want to be on top world-wide at there age levels. What happened with the Bahama's and the Golden Girls where it never seemed to take off with the youngsters? (This might have been in another topic long ago)

Leave a comment:

• Avante
    replied

When every little kid wants to be the next Usain Bolt, they got something going and it's not stopping. Jamaica will rule the sprints from here on out. Sure there wil be that once in awhile American or somebody from another Carib island or a fluke European but that won't matter. Jama will have more majors finalists, always be in the 4x1 hunt and win more medals in the 100/200/4x1 than any other country from now on. I'm from California, not Jamaica.

Sprinters born in Jamaica

Herb McKenley
    Dennis Johnson
    Don Quarrie
    Lennox Miller
    Ray Stewart
    Linford Christie
    Donovan Bailey
    Asafa Powel
    Usain Bolt
    Nesta Carter
    Yohan Blake
    Michael Frater

Obviously I have to ignore Johnson and Mullings. Yes I know there are others but those are the most accomplished.

Unless we bring in all those pre 1960 guys like Bobby Morrow, Jesse Owens etc, not even the mighty USA compares to that.

Just think, they can ban their 9.80 guy, so now they just plug in their 9.78 guy.........whoa!!!!!!!!!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X