Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can Of Worms For The IAAF?

Since we suspect that many people don't go over to the THG forum, I thought I'd mention the incredible set of circumstances that our good friend high jumping mark turned up. If Kelli White has her Paris results negated (Modafinil), then Torri Edwards becomes world champ in the 100. That's all fine and dandy. But if she vacates the 200 title, the world champion becomes..... uh-oh! Anastasiya Kapachinskaya. So the IAAF will have to give the gold to a woman it just last week took the indoor gold away from for a Stanozolol positive. I'm thinking there won't be live prime-time TV coverage of that awards ceremony.

Re: Can Of Worms For The IAAF?

>>I'm thinking there won't be live prime-time TV coverage of that awards ceremony.<<

To the contrary, I understand Richard Pound is trying to arrange exactly that. :-)

Comment

All the more reason for steroid (and related substance) offenses to completely wipe out the last 12 months of results, even if it spans 2 calendar years.

Comment

Two things on Pound. A guy who works out at the same club I run out of went to the Doc Councilman(sp?) tribute at Indiana that was talked about in the last SI and was one of Pound's swimming contemporaries. Pound swam in the 1960 Olympics and got a 5th. The guy didn't come right out and say it but you could tell, if not for the politics of the time, that was his spot on the team. Just read a piece on him where he explains how he does carry a cell phone but doesn't answer it and it doesn't take messages. He uses it to get a hold of people and if someone wants to get him, they will find him. He's right of course but like Albert Brooks says to William Hurt in Broadcast News after Hurt asks the question how should one react when everything in your life turns out better than you expected, "You keep it to yourself". Becoming the head of the IOC must require the skills of an expert politician and he doesn't strike me as having them.

Comment

Paging Law Dude: while such an ex post facto methodology would be a delightful way to put some teeth into a suspension, is there any court in the world that would allow such a thing? (Involving as it does significant amounts of money)

Comment

I am too dense to understand this. Won't Kapachinskaya be disqualified as well? At what time did she turn up the positive test?
            "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
            by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Pego, Kapa came second in the 200m. in Paris behind White. She just tested + at the World Indoors which she won. She's been banned for 2 years (or soon will be) following the +, but passed the test at Paris even though she was almost certainly juiced. So, if White's win is thrown out the Gold goes to Kapa who was second. Total mess and disaster for the sport if she's awarded Gold just after getting banned.

Comment

>Two things on Pound. A guy who works out at the same club I run out of went to
                >the Doc Councilman(sp?) tribute at Indiana that was talked about in the last SI
                >and was one of Pound's swimming contemporaries. Pound swam in the 1960 Olympics
                >and got a 5th. The guy didn't come right out and say it but you could tell, if
                >not for the politics of the time, that was his spot on the team. >>

Sorry I don't get it.

Comment

>>Two things on Pound. A guy who works out at the same club I run out of went
                  >to
                  >the Doc Councilman(sp?) tribute at Indiana that was talked about in the
                  >last SI
                  >and was one of Pound's swimming contemporaries. Pound swam in the
                  >1960 Olympics
                  >and got a 5th. The guy didn't come right out and say it but you
                  >could tell, if
                  >not for the politics of the time, that was his spot on the
                  >team. >>

>Sorry I don't get it.

Sorry. I meant that the selection was not a trials based selection but rather a subjective one so(at least from this guy's standpoint) politics enetered into the process and he got screwed out of a once in a lifetime chance.

Comment

>Paging Law Dude: while such an ex post facto methodology would be a delightful way to put some teeth into a suspension, is there any court in the world that would allow such a thing? (Involving as it does significant amounts of money)<

I assume you were referring to Mike Roth's proposal that doping periods of ineligibility read back one year as well as forward two years. If that's what you were asking, I think the answer is no. If, however, the IAAF were someday to change its rules to provide for such a thing, that could be enforceable--after the rule changed. The new rule, if it ever came to exist, could in no way affect Kapa's current situation.

By the way, what any court in the world is would do is irrelevant. The only court that should ever consider this question is CAS, the Court of Arbitration for Sport, which is and should be the court of last resort in doping questions arising under WADA, IOC, IAAF rules.

Comment

>>By the way, what any court
                      >in the world is would do is irrelevant. The only court that should ever
                      >consider this question is CAS>>

The point I was trying to make (or have you clarify) was if rules applied after the fact were in reality so far out of the norm that "all" courts would feel that way. Going to ascertain depth and breadth of such a sweepign ruling your honor.

Comment

<Pego, Kapa came second in the 200m. in Paris behind White. She just tested + at the World Indoors which she won. She's been banned for 2 years (or soon will be) following the +, but passed the test at Paris even though she was almost certainly juiced. So, if White's win is thrown out the Gold goes to Kapa who was second. Total mess and disaster for the sport if she's awarded Gold just after getting banned.>

I know all this. She must have tested positive not that long after the WC, that's why I am asking when it was and WHY would she not be disqualified from the Worlds. It's totally absurd.
                        "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                        by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

The meets were more than 6 months apart (not that I believe that she suddenly started dosing right after Paris for the first time; au contraire, one would think that after the Kelli White furor that people would have been more circumspect than ever.)

Comment

I know all this. She must have tested positive not
                            >that long after the WC, that's why I am asking when it was and WHY would she
                            >not be disqualified from the Worlds. It's totally absurd.

All these drug cheating athletes , never seem to attain the same level as when they were doping .I can't think of any actually. We have had a few runners try to return after suspension, but the culture of the running community does not forgive or forget.

Comment

Ali Saïdi-Sief from Algeria came off his 2 year suspension last summer and posted a time of 7:30.79 in the 3000, 5 seconds off his PB. That was the 3rd fastest time last year.

Comment

Working...
                              X