Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Andrew Rock 4th in IAAF

Has anyone out there noticed this kid in DIII. He recently posted a 45.23 and is currently 4th on the IAAF rankings list.

Re: Andrew Rock 4th in IAAF

most of us are well aware of rock. i believe he'll be an olympian this year, but this board has its doubters.

Comment

In Iowa this last weekend he ran anchor on UWL's 4X4 and ran down Joey Woody on route to a 44.9 split.

UW La Crosse dominance in DIII track has almost become laughable. They placed 2nd in the meet to Minnesota and beat Wisconsin, Iowa, UNI and other DI and DII schools.

Check out DIII honor roll at

http://www.raceberryjam.com/ncodmp04.htm

Very humbling compared to when I was in the program. Keep up the good work coach.

Sincerely,
      Proud Alumni 90'

Comment

Laughable indeed, why is a school the size of UW-Lax in division three? What are they proving by winning the DIII crown by three times the next closest score. I respect Guthrie's work with that program, but I wonder why not move up? Perhaps there is a reason. Rock is very good though. Any reason why he isn't DI? I think there's no doubt he is an Olympian. How about Hans Schmidt? He could certainly benefit from DI exposure.

Comment

You have to understand the UW system - look at all those schools - Oshkosh, Platteville, Stevens Point - all have indoor facilities - decent outdoor facility - Part of the State school system - reasonable cost to student - plus excellent track traditions -

Comment

When I was in the program in the late 80's and early 90's all UWL sports were DIII, and I still believe it remains that way. I would love to see the program move up as well. Guthrie is a hell of a recruiter and a motivator, and has done an incredible job of developing local kids into top track talents. It would be very interesting to see what he could do with some scholarships.

LaCrosse Track has always had a strong tradition and I believe that is a big reason for the continued success they are having. With that said however, what has happened in the last few years, with the quality of performances that are being produced, is on a whole different level from anything done in the past.

Does anyone have any insight on whether the program will ever move up to DI or DII? It is a question that I have pondered in the past, and in the light of recent events would make a lot of sense.

Comment

In the late 80's or early 90's they did an article in Playboy Magazine about the top 10 party schools in the nation. The survey was based on alcohol consumption. I think that UW Madison was in the top 2 but the article had an astrick next to it.

It said that it did not count the UW system schools, ie LaCorsse, Stout, Whitewater, etc... because they would have taken 5 of the top 10 spots. Wisconsin, winter.. go figure...

Comment

I remember another Playboy poll which ranked Wisconsin #1 nationally as a party school. The next year, they didn't even make the rankings. But at the end of the article was an explaination: "Some of you may have noticed that last year's #1 party school, Wisconsin, was not mentioned in this year's rankings. We didn't think it would be fair to rank a pro with the amatuers."

Comment

That joke was originally applied to Wazu and UofI. I think the rankings were based upon # of bars per capita for the student populations. Also, like Wisc, what ya goin do in the winter?

As to the UW non-Madison, probably they remain in DIII because of football. I don't think a school can be div I in one sport and III in others. But I could be wrong. Seems like when Villanova resurected the football program, they came in a lower level, and still were I in T&F and BB.

Comment

>most of us are well aware of rock. i believe he'll be an olympian this year,
                    >but this board has its doubters.

Rock is absurd. I find it somewhat amazing that Ben Dreyer beat him twice. As a fellow DIII athlete (one that is provisional a full three seconds behind Rock), I'm somewhat disillusioned by seeing UWLax going automatic in just about every event, but from what I understand their athletes are just hometown boys who train their asses off.

All that said, I like the underdog/"Rocky" factor and I don't think UWLax will run either Toshner or Rock in their 4x400, so that will be one hell of a race at Champs. Look for Wilmington. St. Thomas, or four skinny white kids from Carnegie Mellon.

Nik Bonaddio
                    Carnegie Mellon University

Comment

(W) La Crosse

Even without their top-2 La Crosse will win the NCAA 4x400m big ... they have auto'ed two teams IN THE SAME RACE ... I think many athletes are going to the best coaches and not caring as much about a couple thousand dollar scholarship ... there will be a few W.I.C.A. (and N.C.A.A. D3) athletes at the trials this summer

go Pointers!

Comment

>I remember another Playboy poll which ranked Wisconsin #1 nationally as a party
                        >school. The next year, they didn't even make the rankings. But at the end of
                        >the article was an explaination: "Some of you may have noticed that last
                        >year's #1 party school, Wisconsin, was not mentioned in this year's rankings.
                        >We didn't think it would be fair to rank a pro with the amatuers."

This is an urban legend that people from virtually every university in the nation claim about their school.

Comment

Re: (W) La Crosse

>Even without their top-2 La Crosse will win the NCAA 4x400m big ... they have
                          >auto'ed two teams IN THE SAME RACE ... I think many athletes are going to the
                          >best coaches and not caring as much about a couple thousand dollar scholarship
                          >... there will be a few W.I.C.A. (and N.C.A.A. D3) athletes at the trials this
                          >summer

What I find most interesting and admirable is that if you look at their roster, all of their athletes are from Wisconsin. So perhaps their success is not so much a function of athletes from all areas coming to Lacrosse, but rather they do a very good job of mining local talent.

And yes, the 4x4 comment was somewhat facetious. They will be fine. Although last year..

Nik Bonaddio
                          Carnegie Mellon University

Comment

>i have news for every one.the rock,[email protected],unknown might make up our 400 squad,u never know.

Comment

Just so everyone's clear on the definition of the word "rankings" (as used by both T&FN and the IAAF), it refers to a system of evaluating an athlete's standing with his peers using places in meets, etc., etc.

Rock not in the IAAF's top 50. He was No. 4 on the yearly list however. World of difference between the two.

Comment

Working...
                              X