Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

¶2011 WC: wSP—Adams 21.24 (69-8 1/4)

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • lefterisp
    replied
    Re: ¶2011 WC: wSP—Adams 21.24 (69-8 1/4)

    Lovely competition for some very impressive ladies. And I don't even know where to start with Ms Camarena... she even tried for silver... Greetings from Tucson (after Lagat, our second track and field local celebrity!)

    Leave a comment:


  • 26mi235
    replied
    Re: ¶2011 WC: wSP—Adams defends w/ WL

    Originally posted by CookyMonzta
    Having seen some of those stats, I think Dwight erred on his assertion of Adams' throw being the longest throw this century. There's a 21.46 (70-5) entry from Larisa Peleshenko in Moscow in 2000, to go with Ostapchuk's more recent indoor 71-footer.
    21st Century starts 1/1/2001, not 1/1/2000, despite what common 'preference' is (either that or one of the centuries had only 99 years, but what is more important, some preference or the definition of a century?). [I understand your point, and it is valid, if not without debate.]

    Leave a comment:


  • CookyMonzta
    replied
    Re: ¶2011 WC: wSP—Adams defends w/ WL

    Originally posted by CookyMonzta
    When was the last 72-footer (21.95)? What are the chances of that happening between now and Rio 2016?
    Never mind. I think I found it. The last 72-footer was Natalya Lisovskaya's Seoul 1988 performance of 22.24.

    Leave a comment:


  • CookyMonzta
    replied
    Re: ¶2011 WC: wSP—Adams defends w/ WL

    Originally posted by AS
    Originally posted by uakari
    amazing to think that there were 21 throws longer than that , all before 2000...
    Not throws, throwers... 348 throws exceed Adam's effort (including ancilliaries and indoors)!!

    By year:
    1973 1
    1974 2
    1975 6
    1976 21
    1977 26
    1978 21
    1979 25
    1980 64
    1981 7
    1982 25
    1983 29
    1984 37
    1985 6
    1986 15
    1987 14
    1988 43
    1990 2
    1991 1
    1998 1
    2000 1
    2010 1

    So only 6 throws have been longer than Adams' in past 21 years!!

    Stats, as always from http://www.alltime-athletics.com/wshotok.htm
    Having seen some of those stats, I think Dwight erred on his assertion of Adams' throw being the longest throw this century. There's a 21.46 (70-5) entry from Larisa Peleshenko in Moscow in 2000, to go with Ostapchuk's more recent indoor 71-footer.

    When was the last 72-footer (21.95)? What are the chances of that happening between now and Rio 2016?

    Leave a comment:


  • AS
    replied
    Re: ¶2011 WC: wSP—Adams defends w/ WL

    Originally posted by uakari
    amazing to think that there were 21 throws longer than that , all before 2000...
    Not throws, throwers... 348 throws exceed Adam's effort (including ancilliaries and indoors)!!

    By year:
    1973 1
    1974 2
    1975 6
    1976 21
    1977 26
    1978 21
    1979 25
    1980 64
    1981 7
    1982 25
    1983 29
    1984 37
    1985 6
    1986 15
    1987 14
    1988 43
    1990 2
    1991 1
    1998 1
    2000 1
    2010 1

    So only 6 throws have been longer than Adams' in past 21 years!!

    Stats, as always from http://www.alltime-athletics.com/wshotok.htm

    Leave a comment:


  • GMH454
    replied
    Re: 2011 WC: wSP—

    Originally posted by GMH454

    1/ Adams
    2/ Ostapchuck
    3/ Jill Camarena?Williams

    and Jill has been throwing very well this year, she could finish a lot better than third.
    Hi Fives himself and dances round room .....

    (could not stay up last night way too tired . will have to wait and see the video today)

    seldom do you see the worlds best three go, in that order ..

    congrats to Val, Nadia and Jill

    Leave a comment:


  • tupeke
    replied
    Re: ¶2011 WC: wSP—Adams defends w/ WL

    Originally posted by bushop
    Anyone know what is in the photo Adams pulled out and was pointing at after the 21m throw?
    On the piece of paper was a picture of her new coach, Jean Pierre Egger. I believe she took it with her in the comp to provide some inspiration. She moved to Switzerland to train with him after splitting with former coach Didier Poppe (coach of Jacko Gill).

    Leave a comment:


  • 26mi235
    replied
    Re: ¶2011 WC: wSP—Adams 21.24 (69-8 1/4)

    Very good throwing here.

    Leave a comment:


  • Ely
    replied
    Re: 2011 WC: wSP—

    Originally posted by Powell

    I'm actually very excited about today's final. With all 13 women having thrown over 19 meters this year, this could be the best women's SP competition in ages.
    It'll be interesting to see whether Nadine Kleinert can continue her streak. She's made the top 8 in every single major championship (OG, WC and EC) since 1997. If she can do it in Daegu, this will be her 15th in a row :shock:

    and she did!!
    what an exciting competion!! Italian commentators ignore it but it was great
    1 Valerie Adams NZL 21.24 (CR)
    2 Nadzeya Ostapchuk BLR 20.05
    3 Jillian Camarena-Williams USA 20.02
    4 Lijiao Gong CHN 19.97
    5 Yevgeniya Kolodko RUS 19.78 (PB)
    6 Ling Li CHN 19.71
    7 Anna Avdeeva RUS 19.54 (SB)
    8 Nadine Kleinert GER 19.26 (SB)

    Leave a comment:


  • Ely
    replied
    Re: ¶2011 WC: wSP—Adams defends w/ WL

    Originally posted by gh
    Vili had foul called, but asked for measure to be entered into system as basis for a possible appeal. That was indeed 20.91, which then got assigned to Gong.
    gh, do you think that was a real foul?
    and does anyone know if Nadine Kleinert had some injury? I missed her last throw. :?

    Leave a comment:


  • NormZylstra
    replied
    Re: ¶2011 WC: wSP—Adams defends w/ WL

    Originally posted by AS
    VALERIE!!!! Equals CR! 21.24!!!
    She's well on her way to T&F News Athlete of the Year... or not?
    Anyone know what is in the photo Adams pulled out and was pointing at after the 21m throw?

    Leave a comment:


  • bruce3404
    replied
    Re: ¶2011 WC: wSP—Adams defends w/ WL

    Originally posted by gh
    Originally posted by meskind
    It looked like Valerie threw that 20.91 right before Gong and they called a foul on her. She seemed to protest after the fact and they measured and put it on the board as Gong, but then took it down. It didn't look like a foul at the time and Valerie walked out of the ring confident that it would be measured only to turn around and see a red flag up. Glad it didn't change the final standings as the best thrower won.
    Vili had foul called, but asked for measure to be entered into system as basis for a possible appeal. That was indeed 20.91, which then got assigned to Gong.
    And then to further confuse things for those of us in the stands, the announcer reported that the throw was Gong's. But Gong had clearly fouled on her throw which wasn't anything close to 20.91.

    Leave a comment:


  • gh
    replied
    Re: ¶2011 WC: wSP—Adams defends w/ WL

    Originally posted by meskind
    It looked like Valerie threw that 20.91 right before Gong and they called a foul on her. She seemed to protest after the fact and they measured and put it on the board as Gong, but then took it down. It didn't look like a foul at the time and Valerie walked out of the ring confident that it would be measured only to turn around and see a red flag up. Glad it didn't change the final standings as the best thrower won.
    Vili had foul called, but asked for measure to be entered into system as basis for a possible appeal. That was indeed 20.91, which then got assigned to Gong.

    Leave a comment:


  • Powell
    replied
    Re: 2011 WC: wSP—

    Originally posted by Powell
    It'll be interesting to see whether Nadine Kleinert can continue her streak. She's made the top 8 in every single major championship (OG, WC and EC) since 1997. If she can do it in Daegu, this will be her 15th in a row :shock:
    And she made it! Threw a season's best, too. Only 8th place, but the standard was the best we've seen in a long time.

    Leave a comment:


  • meskind
    replied
    Re: ¶2011 WC: wSP—Adams defends w/ WL

    It looked like Valerie threw that 20.91 right before Gong and they called a foul on her. She seemed to protest after the fact and they measured and put it on the board as Gong, but then took it down. It didn't look like a foul at the time and Valerie walked out of the ring confident that it would be measured only to turn around and see a red flag up. Glad it didn't change the final standings as the best thrower won.

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X