Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exercises/Drills to help in horizontal jumps

I'm a high school senior and am walking onto a major university track team next year and compete in the triple and long jump. I'm looking for strength exercises or drills that can help improve my speed and leaping ability. I was wondering if anybody knew any good plyometric drills or good lifting exercises. Also, are there any opinions out there about plyometric training shoes, the ones that make you stand on your toes all the time? Just looking for a little from any strength coaches out there or people that know anything about the subject. Thanks for your help!

Re: Exercises/Drills to help in horizontal jumps

my favorite was 1-legged bound-hops (knee and heel comes up) up stadium steps.

Comment

I'm a high jumper and i think shoes like strength shoes are pretty good, i used them in high school and little bit in college, i'm thinking of going back to them. the first week you use them, you'll be really sore, be careful.

Comment

I found the shoes would make me hyper-extend my knees if I did not keep them flexed or bent. I made my knees sore. I noticed quite a difference in my jumping ability after I wore them for about a month though.

Comment

Just use your imagination to create as many drills as you can manufacture that recreate take off, flight, or landing positions and reinforce strength and flexibility needs with minimal impact. So, instead of jumping off the board for technique over and over, spend lots of time with stairs (but not short stadium steps, lengthen out by running, bounding or hopping the benches on a diagonal path to the top, emphasize stretching, reaching and well coordinated arm and knee lift as well as push off explosion), run, skip, bound or hop hills and sand dunes (sand dunes are really killers!), put a bunch of high jump or pole vault pads together and practice long and triple technique on the soft surface, do tons of bounding and skipping on grass surfaces, find a trampoline and use it, vary your routine and have fun. And lift wts. in a controlled, supervised environment. If you get joint pains, do more lifting farther into the season.

Comment

Working...
          X