X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: ¶2011 WC: w800—Savinova catches Semenya

[quote=Master Po]
    Originally posted by Dutra
    Originally posted by Master Po":2nyb6xoc]As is often the case on the Science of Sport blog, another interesting article on this event and Semenya:

[url="http://www.sportsscientists.com/
    http://www.sportsscientists.com/[/url]

I assume many posters here read this blog, but I find it some of the most informative and thought-provoking reflection on and analysis of athletics.
    Nothing like chastising others for speculating by speculating.

As others have mentioned...if she needed anything to correct a wrong back in '09, those results should have been eliminated.
    Dutra,
    I didn't intend to be chastising others for speculating, and then speculating myself. Regrets for posting that link. I think it's time for me to steer clear of watching, reading about, or even thinking about Semenya, if I can do that. Too bad -- this is truly one of my favorite events in all of T & F. The more I look at Semenya, and read the discussions (with posters and other writers whose ideas I really pay attention to -- don't anyone get me wrong on this), and think about the Semenya case, the less I understand. I watch Semenya run this race -- or any of Semenya's races -- and I truly don't know who or what I'm looking at, or how to interpret it. Looking at, reading about, thinking about Semenya is like a giant weird Rorschach (sp?) test.[/quote:2nyb6xoc]

Master Po...I was referring to the article and not you as far as the chastising for speculating and then speculating for paragraphs on end.

Comment

Originally posted by Master Po
      I didn't intend to be chastising others for speculating, and then speculating myself. Regrets for posting that link. I think it's time for me to steer clear of watching, reading about, or even thinking about Semenya, if I can do that. Too bad -- this is truly one of my favorite events in all of T & F. The more I look at Semenya, and read the discussions (with posters and other writers whose ideas I really pay attention to -- don't anyone get me wrong on this), and think about the Semenya case, the less I understand. I watch Semenya run this race -- or any of Semenya's races -- and I truly don't know who or what I'm looking at, or how to interpret it. Looking at, reading about, thinking about Semenya is like a giant weird Rorschach (sp?) test.
      Very well said. I TRY to pretend the event doesn't exist, but obviously can't quite do it. The weirdness of all this has simply killed this event for me, however, and it casts a shadow over the whole sport.

Comment

Originally posted by kevinsdad
        Originally posted by SQUACKEE
        If she indeed gave it everything she had, she sure wasnt breathing very hard after the race. She may have been tying up but didnt seem to respond at all to being passed. It all looks rather strange to these eyes.
        I've never in my life seen a race where a runner showed so little extra effort or reaction during what should have been a desperate stretch drive.
        If she was so insistent on coming 2nd why would she bother going into the lead in the first place.

With 50m to go she looked as if she had it sown up. There was no indication she was going to get overtaken. When Savinova comes past she presumably didn't respond because she had nothing left. If she had wanted to be beaten she would have just stayed in 2nd the whole way round.

Comment

Originally posted by kuha

Very well said. I TRY to pretend the event doesn't exist, but obviously can't quite do it. The weirdness of all this has simply killed this event for me, however, and it casts a shadow over the whole sport.
          It's currently my favourite event BY FAR!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Flumpy
            If she was so insistent on coming 2nd why would she bother going into the lead in the first place.

With 50m to go she looked as if she had it sown up. There was no indication she was going to get overtaken. When Savinova comes past she presumably didn't respond because she had nothing left. If she had wanted to be beaten she would have just stayed in 2nd the whole way round.
            Great question and I dont have a answer, it's all very strange. A mystery. :?
            phsstt!

Comment

As long as CS is permitted to race as a woman, the entire event is meaningless.
              "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
              by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Originally posted by Pego
                Agreed. And yet I couldn't help but watch it.

Comment

Pego, in my opinion, I see Semenya's racing as a positive for her competitors insofar as they can break down their own self-imposing limitations ("I don't think it's possible to win") each time they line up to battle her. In stretching themselves beyond their natural comfort zones and testing their mettle against Semenya, they force themselves to improve.

The more they collectively improve, the better the event becomes.
                  Fire Impossible.

Comment

Originally posted by 3
                    Pego, in my opinion, I see Semenya's racing as a positive for her competitors insofar as they can break down their own self-imposing limitations ("I don't think it's possible to win") each time they line up to battle her. In stretching themselves beyond their natural comfort zones and testing their mettle against Semenya, they force themselves to improve.

Good idea. Let's find some 14 min kid in South Africa that can help Vivian Cheruyiot out over 5000m and I'm sure there's some marginal 7 foot high jumper somewhere who can "inspire" the women in that event as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Pego

Yep.

Comment

Originally posted by 3

Good idea. Let's find some 14 min kid in South Africa that can help Vivian Cheruyiot out over 5000m and I'm sure there's some marginal 7 foot high jumper somewhere who can "inspire" the women in that event as well.
                        Sarcasm isn't the best way to jump into a discussion, especially if your intention is to disagree with an opinion.

There's no need to "find" someone to aid Cheruyiot or the high jump women. Semenya, in the 800m, is already cleared to contest this event as a woman. The runners competing against her know they face a formidable opposition in the person of Caster Semenya, but they also know that she's not unbeatable. Semenya may have that 1'52 day in her, and when she does, she'll pull some 1'56-1'57 types to 1'54-1'56 along with her.

I hold my own opinion, but I'm being fair to the rights granted her.
                        Fire Impossible.

Comment

Originally posted by 3
                          Originally posted by 3

Sarcasm isn't the best way to jump into a discussion, especially if your intention is to disagree with an opinion.

There's no need to "find" someone to aid Cheruyiot or the high jump women. Semenya, in the 800m, is already cleared to contest this event as a woman. The runners competing against her know they face a formidable opposition in the person of Caster Semenya, but they also know that she's not unbeatable. Semenya may have that 1'52 day in her, and when she does, she'll pull some 1'56-1'57 types to 1'54-1'56 along with her.

I hold my own opinion, but I'm being fair to the rights granted her.
                          stating the obvious...that's she's cleared to run....really matters little within the discussion.

Comment

Au contraire! Stating the obvious --- that Semenya is cleared to compete --- is germane to this discussion insofar as the other women chasing her have a live rabbit to tag along with the entirety of their race. Semenya can be of great benefit to her competitors if they look at it that way.
                            Fire Impossible.

Comment

How many of the women's marathon WR's were paced by men?

Comment

Excellent question, Daisy. Another one that belongs here is: how often were these men (male rabbits) considered the eventual winners of the women's race?

Comment

Working...
                                X