X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2011 WC: w800—

Originally posted by lapsus
    Three Russians in the final for once. I would say that team tactics are their only chance to beat Semenya. I'm still not 100% sure her speed endurance is back to the level where she can really unleash her kick off 1:56 pace by the Russians. If she doesn't, Jepkosgei can get a surprise gold in a great time :mrgreen:
    Three Russians made the final in 2005 but they didn't employ team tactics. They just spent all race running into each other.
    http://twitter.com/Trackside2011

Comment

Originally posted by feltdog70
      Originally posted by Grazerism
      If the Semenya story stays the way it is, I can imagine droves of 800 women moving up to the 1500... I mean, why bother?
      Heck yeah!! If she hits a 1:55 again like in 2009, I would encourage the other women to do the same. I just wish that the Kenyan lady (can't recall her name) that ran 1:54-1:55 a few years ago was still in or near top form. We could have possibly seen the 20+ year old 800m world record lowered a bit (1:53).
      Pamela Jelimo.

Comment

Semenya's last 200 was near 28 seconds flat. It seems to me that she will win easily. Savinova, however, looked very good in handling Busienei and Montano. I think Sinclair is a longshot to medal.
        Cheers,
        Alan Shank
        Woodland, CA, USA

Comment

Originally posted by toyracer
          Maybe I'm cynical but...I believe that Semenya has been playing possum all this time, to avoid the attention of the press etc. I believe she is going to uncork a performance in the final that will, once again, blow away the rest of the field.

I sincerely hope that I am incorrect.

Call me cynical too as that is what I said.

Sensed it all year that she was trying to stay below the radar. Then there were the rumours from her teamates that she was overweight and out of shape..... :roll: :roll:

Comment

Originally posted by toyracer
            Maybe I'm cynical but...
            No more than I am.

Comment

Others were saying it too. My disgust with this whole situation is abundantly clear.

Comment

Nobody is more aghast at this situation than I, but allow me to suggest we've flogged the subject to death and nobody is bringing anything new to the discussion.

At the risk of micro-managing, at this point it would be nice to channel our energies towards discussing the race itself: you know, the one for silver and bronze. :?

Comment

Vessey for the upset. I bet she's pumped after watching the w1500. She's already knocked out Meadows and I thought she had a good shot at a medal.

Comment

only if we get the good-tactician Vessey again; too often in her career she has been the don't-have-a-clue Vessey.

Comment

i still see semenya possibly not winning. sinclair didn't look good, nor montano. but savinova and jepkosgei might still win this.

Comment

the only way Semenya won't win is if the cover tomorrow......

Comment

I am pleased that others think what I didn't want to say until now...that Semenya has been sandbagging through the season...I agree that she will win handily and as far as who will get 2nd and 3rd...one of the Russion girls and Sinclair.

Comment

Meadows tactics were hardly of the highest order. She wants to run positively on all occasions but her self confidence leads her astray a little. Berlin was a surprise but in Daegu she followed a speed in the first quarter and half of the race when she may have found it wiser to hang back a bit.Admiittedly hind sight.

I assume her small stature effects the tactical thinking of Meadows and her coach.

In any case there is a fine line in the 800/1500m as far as tactics, pushing and a slice of luck are concerned.

Comment

will the russkies run as a team? will the good speeds in the semis turn into a slow first lap and a burn up in the last 150m? a drama of pushing and elbows likely.

Hoping for Sinclair medal, but Savinova is my bet..... for silver.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                                only if we get the good-tactician Vessey again; too often in her career she has been the don't-have-a-clue Vessey.
                                Yes, but this year the ratio of the to is significantly different.

As for Sinclair, I was a little surprised to she that she has the slowest PR in the Final, not usually a characteristic of someone picked by some as a favorite.

We will have to see how Caster recovers, she might not have the recovery she might have had in the past (it is my vague sense that the higher testosterone levels she probably had before would lead to better recovery -- one reason for Jones to have gone that route, but I am guessing wildly on this score).

Comment

Working...
                                X