Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cuban T&F / Coolest Coach Ever [see photo]

Anyone know who is the man ID'ed as Leonel Suárez's coach on the Universal broadcast?
    My Cuban friend told me his last name is Gavino.

Re: Cuban multi/ Leonel Suárez's coach [?]

While I don't know for a fact it's his personal coach, the Cuban combined events coach is
    Gabino Arzola.

Comment

Originally posted by cladthin
      While I don't know for a fact it's his personal coach, the Cuban combined events coach is
      Gabino Arzola.
      Arzola does not seem to be the coach. The coach is quite the dude... long, thick salt/ pepper hair, a sleeveless shirt with the collar popped and mod' sunglasses.

Comment

as one wag asked in the stands, "is that Suárez's hairdresser?"

Comment

is there a photo of this dandy?

Comment

Screen grab posted here:
            Cuban Coach

Comment

Re: Leonel Suárez's coach = coolest ever [see photo]

Swag!

Comment

what's his name???

Comment

I like his "I don't care what you think of me" look!

Comment

Thats some country they're running down there :lol:

Comment

hey, for such a small and poor country, it's amazing what they have... some of the world's best throwers, jumpers, hurdlers, decathletes, pole vaulters, not to mention volleyball, boxing, baseball, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by uakari
                        pole vaulters
                        That is truly one of the biggest revelations of the meet. Whoda thunk Cuba would have a man and a women in the Top 5?

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
                          pole vaulters
                          That is truly one of the biggest revelations of the meet. Whoda thunk Cuba would have a man and a women in the Top 5?
                          What's scary is that the are doing it with minimal equipment. Word was Borges only had 3 poles and from 5.75 and up he was borrowing poles. All their vaulters are very well coached.

Comment

yes, years ago there was a documentary on tv, and i caught only a little bit, about the cuban sports machine. and you see young teenage girls training by dragging a tire tied to a rope around the waist. that's what they have to do, with no money and equipment and the latest scientific advancements that we have in north america and europe... it's simply amazing what they have accomplished.

i must say, since i don't follow PV, that i feel like i went to sleep and woke up, and overnight cuba and brazil are world powers. when did that happen? i remember the days when hintnaus went to represent brazil and all hell broke lose...

so if having a dandy coach is what it takes, all the more power to them.

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
                              Whoda thunk Cuba would have a man and a women in the [pole vault] Top 5?
                              Originally posted by Cooter Brown
                              What's scary is that the are doing it with minimal equipment. Word was Borges only had 3 poles and from 5.75 and up he was borrowing poles. All their vaulters are very well coached.
                              yes, years ago there was a documentary... about the cuban sports machine... with no money and equipment and the latest scientific advancements that we have... it's simply amazing what they have accomplished. so if having a dandy coach is what it takes, all the more power to them.
                              Is it logical that since Fiedel Castro has enormous wealth (supposedly) and he is a former athlete and avid sports fan wouldn't their high-end athletes have access to high-end facilities and support staff? The lack of poles would say no. How many millions does it take to produce what the Cubans have and are in athletics?

Comment

Working...
                              X