This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zürich DL w200—

1 SIMPSON Sherone 2 FRASER-PRYCE Shelly-Ann 3 STEWART Kerron 4 FELIX Allyson 5 SOLOMON Shalonda 6 JETER Carmelita 7 KNIGHT Bianca 8 FERGUSON-MCKENZIE Debbie

Re: Zürich DL w200—

Jeter (22"27) powers home down the stretch to zip past an obviously-tired Felix, who finishes 2nd.
    Fire Impossible.

Comment

SAF third in her less-favoured event in 22.59....
      My heart is still in the Caribbean....

Comment

Jeter 1st in her least favorite event. Way to go JET !

Comment

Jeter will probably rank 2nd in this event for 2011. Who would have thought that at the beginning of the season?

Comment

I think Allyson wasn't overly enthusiastic to be in this meet. It's quite a comedown from a busy two weeks in Daegu. Her heart and her head were back home in LA. I bet she took the first flight out of Zurich.

Comment

Originally posted by vip
              I think Allyson wasn't overly enthusiastic to be in this meet. It's quite a comedown from a busy two weeks in Daegu. Her heart and her head were back home in LA. I bet she took the first flight out of Zurich.
              Exactly. Let Jeter win her little 200m meets here and there but Allyson and hopefully VCB will be back to light a hot scorching torch under her ass to take back their 200m rivalry and let her have the 100m.

Comment

Originally posted by "Cam9412
                Exactly. Let Jeter win her little 200m meets here and there but Allyson and hopefully VCB will be back to light a hot scorching torch under her ass to take back their 200m rivalry and let her have the 100m.
                When I read comments like this I always wonder if the poster would say this type of thing to the athlete's face. Can't you find a more respectful way of voicing your opinion?

If I were a coach I would counsel my athletes to NEVER read a message board.

Comment

Nice to see SAFP running the 200m on the circuit and executing the curve so well too.

Comment

Congrats Jeter!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Cam9412
                      Originally posted by vip

You have to keep in my mind that this is Jeter 1st time taking the 200 serious on a world stage. I think with more experience, she will be up there with Veronica & Allyson. And you never know who else might step up to the plate between now & the Olympics. This is the sport of track & field...anything is possible for anyone who put their heart, mind & soul into it.

Comment

Originally posted by vip
                        If I am VCB I am worried, very worried. VCB has been working at this discipline for a long time, working on the curve and her endurance for finishing the event.

Jeter comes in this year, treating it as her secondary event and not on anybody's radar. Despite not being very efficient or smooth on the curve she is close enough to VCB that her speed has her catching until she runs out of gas, something she should be most vulnerable to of the top three when doubling.

Next year she will be smoother in the curve by London (look at her now compared to earlier races) and she will be able to better finish off the last 30 meters. She is already faster than VCB and she has better starting mechanics on a consistent basis. She is working on these things very diligently with her coaches and in races. VCB has possibly inadequate coaching and is using high-level races to improve her performance. A lot of people insinuate (or worse, if you wander over to LetsRun) that Jeter is doing everything because she is on drugs, but go look at her racing and objectively look at her mechanics and how she appears to be working on her conditioning. This time she did not tap out by the 100 final, she tapped out in the last 30m of the 200 final.

Comment

Originally posted by 26mi235
                          Originally posted by vip
                          If I am VCB I am worried, very worried. VCB has been working at this discipline for a long time, working on the curve and her endurance for finishing the event.

Jeter comes in this year, treating it as her secondary event and not on anybody's radar. Despite not being very efficient or smooth on the curve she is close enough to VCB that her speed has her catching until she runs out of gas, something she should be most vulnerable to of the top three when doubling.

Next year she will be smoother in the curve by London (look at her now compared to earlier races) and she will be able to better finish off the last 30 meters. She is already faster than VCB and she has better starting mechanics on a consistent basis. She is working on these things very diligently with her coaches and in races. VCB has possibly inadequate coaching and is using high-level races to improve her performance. A lot of people insinuate (or worse, if you wander over to LetsRun) that Jeter is doing everything because she is on drugs, but go look at her racing and objectively look at her mechanics and how she appears to be working on her conditioning. This time she did not tap out by the 100 final, she tapped out in the last 30m of the 200 final.
                          Personally, I don't think that Jeter is doing anything different (outside of training stuff) than any of the other top level ladies. She's only been with John Smith for the past 3-4 years, and prior to that, she was running in the range of 11.1-11.0 seconds (not consistently though). She will be in the mix with VCB and Felix next year. And although Felix is my favorite female runner, unless she (AF) works on her SPEED, she will finish BEHIND Jeter and VCB in the 200 again next year.

Comment

26mi235 - lol such joke on this here board. first smoke said something like jeter will come off curve first in daegu 200m now you "if i am vcb i would be very worried". you got real good jokes in other words, worried my ass
                            stil waiting on smoke to explain away his i know jeter will come off curve first

Comment

Originally posted by Alucard
                              26mi235 - lol such joke on this here board. first smoke said something like jeter will come off curve first in daegu 200m now you "if i am vcb i would be very worried". you got real good jokes in other words, worried my ass
                              stil waiting on smoke to explain away his i know jeter will come off curve first
                              Well, then you did not read my mild assertion. She has done pretty well this year in her first season of running 200s. She is better now than she was at the beginning of the season. She will likely continue to improve her ability to run the turn. I think Smoke's comment likely came more from the speed that she has than from applying that speed in the turn. We saw the speed advantage after they exited the turn until Jeter ran out of gas. If she continues to get better running the turn she will be closer to VCB coming out of the turn and since she only has one season, with only a moderate number of races at 200, I think she has scope for learning.

This learning might have a second advantage as well. It is possible that she will learn how to run the turn more efficiently and thus will have a bit more left for the finishing straight. In addition, I said I think she has scope for continuing to improve her speed endurance in the 200 (she already has good speed endurance in the 100, as does VCB but she does not yet have VCB's speed endurance in the 200).

If she puts together 1) better turn mechanics and efficiency; 2) lasts better on the straight because of better turn efficiency; and 3) better speed endurance from conditioning to cover that extra territory she can be picking up somewhere more than a tenth and possibly several tenths. If she does this, then she has the potential to walk VCB down by the middle of the straight and then have enough endurance to survive a bit of comeback from VCB at the very end.

If I recall correctly (not well versed here) She started high-level training only about the end of 2006 and was a surprise third (in a relatively modest time for a medal) in 2007. Sometime during 2009 she switched to her current coach, I think, not 3-4 years ago.
                              In contrast, VCB will likely make no progress in turn effectiveness other than reliability in doing so, as getting it exactly right is not something she can do, even though she probably does it as well and maybe better than anyone else. Thus, she cannot count on any improvement here.

Comment

Working...
                              X