Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Down Year For Zurich?

Was it just me, or did this years Zurich not seem to be a great one. It was obviously an excellent meet by comparison to many Diamond League stops, but by Zurich standards it definitely seemed to be a bit down. I suppose travel from Asia and proximity in time may have something to do with it, but nonetheless after watching the Universal feed after getting home from work I got that, good but not great feeling. And there have been many many Zurich's that have ben GREAT.

Re: A Down Year For Zurich?

Really?

I thought it was a fabulous meet.

Nothing 'down' about it at all.

Comment

I was watching the meet on Swiss television and even the announcers recognized that the crowd wasn't as great as it usually is. In that regard, it was a down year and I think that the break might have been a bit too short. That might not be an issue when you don't have to travel back from Asia, but in some cases athletes didn't even get a chance to practice since Daegu.

Comment

The piece on Suhr on the Home Page indicated that the meet was held in 'Western New York' weather, meaning at the start of the vault it was cool, rainy and windy. Now maybe it was weather that was more of a detriment to vaulters than other events. While the vaulting heights were not too bad, many had commented on this being the deepest field, so the results were not that good for that group. Certainly the time in the m100 was very good and the w200 was not bad compared with the WCs (but without rounds). Robles did run 13.01, the DT almost hit 70 (although we had almost 72 at the WCs).

Comment

The distance races weren't meant to be fast. The organisers paid Cheruiyot a double appearance fee rather than a standard fee and a time bonus figuring she'd be too zapped to chase a mark.
          Fire Impossible.

Comment

Yes it lacked its normal sparkle for me also. Shouldn't expect too much after such a short gap and long travel after Daegu, I suppose!

Comment

I'd say yes, also. And I think its a terrible shame that the program has been shortened so much--and that a men's 5000 isn't a routine part of the program, the way it used to be.

Comment

Definitely a "down" year for Zurich. I've been to several Zurich meets over the years and watched this one on television. I think this year's meet was too close to the World Championships.

Comment

Working...
                X