• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• J2thaD
    replied
    Re: The mishandling of Asafa Powell

Originally posted by shivfan
    Well, Powell did clock the fastest time of the year over 100m, and as long as he has performances like that, meet directors will continue to invite him....

It seems he has a problem in meets that involve doing the rounds, i.e. World Champs and Olympics. But in the one-offs, he's usually up there with the best. And these DL meets are one-offs.
    Some circuit meets have two rounds. Powell's problem seems to be that he mentally folds, or simply quits when somebody on his level is in the race with him and pulls near him. I know he is supposed to be injured, but he did the same thing against Blake the other day. If you aren't fit enough to run all the way through hard, then don't run. If I was a meet organizer I would make Powell sign a contract stating his fitness, and stating that he will run 100% through the line if he enters the race. Powell doesn't deserve to get paid what they pay him when he repeatedly does not run through the line.

Michael Johnson was right when he said that Powell is very talented, but isn't a competitor. I never saw, Carl Lewis, Maurice Green, Linford Christie, Dwayne Chambers, Frankie Fredericks' etc. give up, and throttle down in any race that they weren't winning the way that Powell does all the time.

Leave a comment:

replied

Originally posted by shivfan
    It seems he has a problem in meets that involve doing the rounds, i.e. World Champs and Olympics. But in the one-offs, he's usually up there with the best. And these DL meets are one-offs.
    shivfan, whereas I agree on the WC's and Olympics, I disagree to an extent on the rounds. Powell has run considerably fast when he's had a heat on the same afternoon as an invitational final.

Leave a comment:

• ATK
    replied

Originally posted by toyracer
    Originally posted by Marlow
    Powell is his own worst enemy. He knew his groin injury going into Daegu was problematic, yet he gave interviews that portrayed an athlete at the top of his game, EXPECTING to win. Then he pulls out with that same injury that he had all along? His credibility is now in the dumper, and the questions about his ability to compete in global championships resume. It will be very hard to take him seriously in the run-up to London.

He needs someone who can advise him how to NOT keep stepping on the mines in the field.
    You do realize that the "99%" and "uninjured" articles that were printed just before Daegu were actually based on an interview two months prior, just after he ran the 9.78, right?
    Exactly people are blind to this fact. MVP said it, those interviews we from months ago. They were released to add to the hype surrounding the world champs.

Leave a comment:

• toyracer
    replied

Originally posted by Marlow
    Powell is his own worst enemy. He knew his groin injury going into Daegu was problematic, yet he gave interviews that portrayed an athlete at the top of his game, EXPECTING to win. Then he pulls out with that same injury that he had all along? His credibility is now in the dumper, and the questions about his ability to compete in global championships resume. It will be very hard to take him seriously in the run-up to London.

He needs someone who can advise him how to NOT keep stepping on the mines in the field.
    You do realize that the "99%" and "uninjured" articles that were printed just before Daegu were actually based on an interview two months prior, just after he ran the 9.78, right?

Leave a comment:

• Marlow
    replied

Leave a comment:

• dukehjsteve
    replied

Powell= Ducker = Chicken = Cow Pasture Performer

Leave a comment:

• shivfan
    replied

Well, Powell did clock the fastest time of the year over 100m, and as long as he has performances like that, meet directors will continue to invite him....

Leave a comment:

started a topic The mishandling of Asafa Powell

The mishandling of Asafa Powell

This Jamaica Gleaner blog, which is linked on the Track & Field News front page, discusses Asafa Powell's setbacks, how his handlers/managers "mishandled" the Powell Daegu situation, as well as Powell's potential ahead.

This time the damage could be far more severe for an athlete whose image has already taken too many hits. Meet promoters might start thinking twice about inviting Powell to meets fearing their reputations being compromised by an unreliable athlete, who it could be perceived feigns injuries. I mean, if his handlers continue to hide the truth, as was the case this time, who knows when people will stop believing the athlete and, more importantly, stop believing in him in instances when people really need to understand the difference between when he is really hurt and when the spotlight begins to make him nauseous.
    Agreements/disagreements on this author's points? Thoughts on Powell's future?
Working...
X