• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • deanouk
    • Nov 2006
    • London, UK

Re: Rudisha vs Kipketer et al

Just noticed another similarity between Kipketer and Rudisha.

Rudisha's defeat in Milan to the teenager (lol!) on Sunday was the end of his 26 run of wins in 800m finals from 2009 Worlds to Sept 2011.

Looking back at Kipketer's races, I noticed that between Monaco in Sept 95 and Zurich 98, he had a run of 28 wins in 800m finals.

So Rudisha was 2 short. I wonder if he'll ever get the chance to put together 29 wins in a row in the future?

Comment

• Half Miler
      • Oct 2005
      • infinite loupe

He'll get the chance, certainly, but he probably won't do it.

Comment

• kuha
        • Oct 2005
        • 3rd row, on the finish line

Originally posted by deanouk
        Looking back at Kipketer's races, I noticed that between Monaco in Sept 95 and Zurich 98, he had a run of 28 wins in 800m finals.
        I'm a huge fan of Rudisha, but I have to think that Kipketer's competition was distinctly superior to the fields of the last couple years.

Comment

• Jul 2009
          • Floor 13.

Dean, thank you for your really fantastic analysis above. Anecdotal evidences tend to support this "mid-400" theory. For me, it will be interesting to see how Rudisha's future fares in correlation to this.
          Fire Impossible.

Comment

• deanouk
            • Nov 2006
            • London, UK

Dean, thank you for your really fantastic analysis above. Anecdotal evidences tend to support this "mid-400" theory. For me, it will be interesting to see how Rudisha's future fares in correlation to this.
            Thanks. Yes, it will be interesting to see if Rudisha maintains the same level of dominance next year, or whether someone else will make the necessary breakthrough needed to challenge him at the top!?

Btw, did you get to look at the Coe video of his WR? What do you think about the so called "official splits"? To me they are way out!

Comment

• Jul 2009
              • Floor 13.

Dean, two views, and 51"05 on my unscientific stopwatch (which could be 51"0 or 51"1). I agree, it seems "off" of the official splits provided.

BTW, I just ran into an article on the subjects of this thread published on the IAAF site last year. It is an interesting gathering of Juantorena, Coe, Kipketer and Rudisha who discuss different aspects of running the 800m: http://www.iaaf.org/news/kind=100/newsid=58767.html
              Fire Impossible.

Comment

Working...
              X