Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daegu women's 200 splits

had to close the original WC thread on the event because the yahoo coefficient was getting out of control.

As I recall there was some discussion on who was faster when.

This helps:
    Veronica Campbell-Brown (11.03/11.19);
    Carmelita Jeter (11.16/11.21);
    Allyson Felix (US) (11.31/11.11)

We also know—and god only knows why—the split for the last 53m (not sure what the Korean biomechanics team was up to):

VCB 6.20
    Jeter 6.25
    Felix 5.93

So though Felix was moving the fastest in both the last half and last quarter of the race, it was clearly a case of too little, too late. That opening 100 (compared to an 11.16 in Berlin two years ago) absolutely killed her.

Re: Daegu women's 200 splits

Felix's first 100m in Daegu may have been 0.15 slower than her opening 100m in Berlin. But her second half in Daegu was 0.25 slower than her second 100m in Berlin. So - by her own lofty standards - her overall race in Daegu was below-par.

Comment

This is off but is an approximation of the pace for the first 100m, next 50m and final 50m, taking off 0.20 seconds for reaction time. There is an Error from this that is small for Felix who was not changing speed much and largest for Jeter who sped up to a faster rate at 150 and then slowed.

Distance 100 150.0 200.0= Total, ..Error
      VC-B. 5.415 5.325 5.880 = 22.234, 0.014
      Jeter 5.480 5.295 5.931 = 22.386, 0.016
      Felix. 5.555 5.513 5.599 = 22.422, 0.002

Comment

Are those splits definitely accurate? I don't think I've ever seen a world class sprinter in a major 200 run the 2nd, flying 100 down a straight slower than the first 100, from blocks, round a bend.

Comment

happens all the time with negative wind readings

Comment

Athens '97 (-0.7)
            Block 11.16/11.16
            3. Ottey 11.14/11.26

Edmonton '03 (-0.8)
            Ferguson 11.1/11.5
            Jenkins 11.3/11.6
            Mothersill 11.3/11.6

Comment

Originally posted by Jon
              Felix's first 100m in Daegu may have been 0.15 slower than her opening 100m in Berlin. But her second half in Daegu was 0.25 slower than her second 100m in Berlin. So - by her own lofty standards - her overall race in Daegu was below-par.
              Duh!

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                had to close the original WC thread on the event because the yahoo coefficient was getting out of control.

As I recall there was some discussion on who was faster when.

This helps:

We also know—and god only knows why—the split for the last 53m (not sure what the Korean biomechanics team was up to):

VCB 6.20
                Jeter 6.25
                Felix 5.93

So though Felix was moving the fastest in both the last half and last quarter of the race, it was clearly a case of too little, too late. That opening 100 (compared to an 11.16 in Berlin two years ago) absolutely killed her.

Can someone explain to me how Allison has times in the last 100 meters of her 200 meter race that often rival her season best times in open 100. How does that work?

Comment

Originally posted by fasttrack85
                  Can someone explain to me how Allison has times in the last 100 meters of her 200 meter race that often rival her season best times in open 100. How does that work?

Keeping in mind that 2nd 100 split has a running start, most sprinters at the world class level, especially strength-oriented athletes like Felix, will run significantly faster splits than top open 100m times. Michael Johnson, for instance, split 9.20 coming home in Atlanta.
                  There are no strings on me

Comment

and the second 100 is on the straight, first one is on a curve

Comment

Originally posted by gh

VCB 6.20
                      Jeter 6.25
                      Felix 5.93
                      These splits look off to me. If we are to believe them, the times for the 100-147m part of the race would have been VCB 4.99, Jeter 4.96, Felix 5.08. Did Felix really lose that much ground in the first half of the straight and then make up 2.5 meters in the last 50?
                      Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Allyson has never been a proficient curve runner, that could also explain that in part.

Comment

Felix was faster the last 50 and had the best time for the last 100, but she had a relatively poor mark for the 50m split from 100 to 150, since she was only slightly better for the last 100 and her last 50 was much superior.

Comment

Go with me on this one, there is very little data to support this, its just a hunch.

Ato Boldon talked about hitting a 'sweet spot' when transitioning from the curve the straight in a 200m. Even at the pedestrian pace I ran a 200m in, if you get it right, there is what feels like a sling shot effect that gives you that momentum in the first 50m of the straight.

Whether or not pro athletes train for this I don't know, but VCB is very good at this point in the race. If you look at her best 200s, she always puts distance between her and the rest of the field at this point, her NYC race in 2010 is a great example, whereas Felix never seems to get that same result and its her final 50m that gets her through.

Comment

Originally posted by Speedster
                              Go with me on this one, there is very little data to support this, its just a hunch.

Ato Boldon talked about hitting a 'sweet spot' when transitioning from the curve the straight in a 200m. Even at the pedestrian pace I ran a 200m in, if you get it right, there is what feels like a sling shot effect that gives you that momentum in the first 50m of the straight.

Whether or not pro athletes train for this I don't know, but VCB is very good at this point in the race. If you look at her best 200s, she always puts distance between her and the rest of the field at this point, her NYC race in 2010 is a great example, whereas Felix never seems to get that same result and its her final 50m that gets her through.

Depends how fast you are going. Depends on the surface, depends on the wind, depends on the shape of the track - some turns are tighter than others.

Also depends on your lane and who you have inside or outside. A lot of things influence the first 60 ms, which then infleuce the next. When I ran 200's it was about setting up to come off the turn, driving into that 100 - 150 with balance and rhythm.

Felix may have been a little flat, which impacts her first 100, but doesn't always impact the second 100. Especially if you recognize whats happening and adjust. She's a patient runner, who's in touch with her form. But some days your the rooster, otrhers you're the feather duster.

No one goes faster the last 50 than the middle 50, iunless they've loafed through the other part of the race. Of all the events, the 200 is about managing fatigue to reach an optimal time. There was less tolerance for mistakes in a 200, than a 400 for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X