Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

¶Brussels m10K (non-DL)—Bekele 26:43.16 WL, Rupp AR 26:48.00

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Re: ¶Brussels m10K (non-DL)—Bekele 26:43.16 WL, Rupp AR 26:4

    I was so impressed I started a thread entitled "Zurich starts with a "B", really? Which was meant to indicate that it took Zurich's status as #1 this year. But seemingly no one got the joke.

    Comment


    • #17
      Re: ¶Brussels m10000 (non-DL)—Bekele 26:43.18 WL, Rupp AR

      Originally posted by gh
      26:43:16 for Bekele, 26:48.00 for Rupp (22.74 off his old PR)

      Sincere congrats to Rupp *AND* his coach Albert Salazar.

      Maybe now a little respect will come their way--especially for Salazar--from the peanut gallery.
      .

      Comment


      • #18
        Re: ¶Brussels m10K (non-DL)—Bekele 26:43.16 WL, Rupp AR 26:4

        Got the Zurich "B" deal and I would say Zurich needs to follow Brussels every other year

        Comment


        • #19
          Re: ¶Brussels m10K (non-DL)—Bekele 26:43.16 WL, Rupp AR 26:4

          It was great to see Bekele win but somehow seeing him run like a mortal was a little sad. Sprinting down the home straight he just didn't look like his old self - short strides, slightly uneven running style with much more arm action. I felt like watching Geb in 2004. I don't think Jeilan and Mo need to lose sleep.

          Comment


          • #20
            Re: ¶Brussels m10K (non-DL)—Bekele 26:43.16 WL, Rupp AR 26:4

            It's still his fifth best performance at the distance, his fastest time since 2008 and a better mark than anybody else has recorded since 2006. It's also a big improvement on dropping out of the race while off the pace which he did in Daegu only a couple of weeks ago. Gebrselassie was able to break 26.30 at the age of 30 so there's plenty of hope Bekele can continue his comeback next season.

            Comment


            • #21
              Re: ¶Brussels m10K (non-DL)—Bekele 26:43.16 WL, Rupp AR 26:4

              Originally posted by Giant Panda
              It's still his fifth best performance at the distance, his fastest time since 2008 and a better mark than anybody else has recorded since 2006. It's also a big improvement on dropping out of the race while off the pace which he did in Daegu only a couple of weeks ago. Gebrselassie was able to break 26.30 at the age of 30 so there's plenty of hope Bekele can continue his comeback next season.
              If Bek is truely fit next year, the other finalist at 10,000 in London should be very worried!

              Which one of them will come in second behind Bek. How quickly people forget, didn't he run 26:17 and isn't he still "young" in distance runners terms?
              phsstt!

              Comment


              • #22
                Re: ¶Brussels m10K (non-DL)—Bekele 26:43.16 WL, Rupp AR 26:4

                Years at the top are often a better indicator of how long an athlete has left than age. Bek has had 8: 2003 - 2009 + now 2011. Geb also had 8: 1993-2000. It's the kick that goes first and I don't fancy his chances in a sub-53 second last lap next year in London.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Re: ¶Brussels m10K (non-DL)—Bekele 26:43.16 WL, Rupp AR 26:4

                  There's also a big difference between running a race with professional rabbits for the first half and you don't have to worry whether the guy in front of you might actually be able to beat you. The ability to run with pressure when the pressure gets greater (as you get older) is something big he now has to face. Is that what knocked him out of Daegu? We're only talking a matter of a few weeks between the two races.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Re: ¶Brussels m10K (non-DL)—Bekele 26:43.16 WL, Rupp AR 26:4

                    Originally posted by gh
                    There's also a big difference between running a race with professional rabbits for the first half and you don't have to worry whether the guy in front of you might actually be able to beat you. The ability to run with pressure when the pressure gets greater (as you get older) is something big he now has to face. Is that what knocked him out of Daegu? We're only talking a matter of a few weeks between the two races.
                    Now we are questioning the greatest 10,000 runner/racer who ever lived, who has never been beaten in 10,000 championship races, i.e. competive and pressure filled, except this time, coming off of an injury.

                    As a distance runner, you are your training. Bek hasnt been able to train like he used to. They asked Jim Ryun, shortly after he quite running, what he could run a mile in, I think he said 6 minutes.

                    You are your time, Bek is 26:17 when fit. I repeat 26:17. thats fast, really fast.

                    Some day Bek will be beatable when he his training is perfect. That day is not now and it's not next year. Watch!
                    phsstt!

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Re: ¶Brussels m10K (non-DL)—Bekele 26:43.16 WL, Rupp AR 26:4

                      Originally posted by gh
                      There's also a big difference between running a race with professional rabbits for the first half and you don't have to worry whether the guy in front of you might actually be able to beat you. The ability to run with pressure when the pressure gets greater (as you get older) is something big he now has to face. Is that what knocked him out of Daegu? We're only talking a matter of a few weeks between the two races.

                      That is assuming the WC still meant something to KB.

                      It is hard to believe a guy with a kick as lethal as Bekele's would worry about anyone else.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Re: ¶Brussels m10K (non-DL)—Bekele 26:43.16 WL, Rupp AR 26:4

                        Originally posted by John G
                        Years at the top are often a better indicator of how long an athlete has left than age. Bek has had 8: 2003 - 2009 + now 2011. Geb also had 8: 1993-2000. It's the kick that goes first and I don't fancy his chances in a sub-53 second last lap next year in London.
                        I think Bekele knows better than trying to outkick Mo and Jeilan in the last 400m. After all, he has run faster than anyone else and "sit and kick" is not the only way that he could beat other runners.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Re: ¶Brussels m10K (non-DL)—Bekele 26:43.16 WL, Rupp AR 26:4

                          Universal Shits.com now has what they consider video of the race on their site (the first and last lap).

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Re: ¶Brussels m10K (non-DL)—Bekele 26:43.16 WL, Rupp AR 26:4

                            Originally posted by SQUACKEE
                            ....
                            Now we are questioning the greatest 10,000 runner/racer who ever lived, who has never been beaten in 10,000 championship races, i.e. competive and pressure filled, except this time, coming off of an injury....
                            I don't "question" anybody. I do, however, dispassionately attempt to analyze everybody. Being smitten with an athlete is wonderful—one of the best things the sport offers—but it also means you tend to start wearing goggles.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Re: ¶Brussels m10K (non-DL)—Bekele 26:43.16 WL, Rupp AR 26:4

                              Just saw the last few laps on Youtube--a really superb race. Sincerely (to me) surprising comeback by Bekele, and a genuinely superb performance by Rupp. I have to think that Rupp is capable of 26:30 and will be very competitive in major races in the coming years. He's very impressive.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Re: ¶Brussels m10K (non-DL)—Bekele 26:43.16 WL, Rupp AR 26:4

                                Originally posted by gh
                                I don't "question" anybody. I do, however, dispassionately attempt to analyze everybody. Being smitten with an athlete is wonderful—one of the best things the sport offers—but it also means you tend to start wearing goggles.
                                If Bek can train, which was my entire point, and goes to London healthy, he will win. Then we will see who is wearing goggles. Analyze this- Bek runs Worlds and has to drop out due to lack of conditioning, 2 weeks later he runs 26:43,I have analyzed this and have concluded that Bek is still the best.

                                I am not smitten with Bek, I do have sympathy for great runners who get injured and then are dismissed. My dream is all the top 10k guys get to the London final healthy.

                                There is a runner I AM smitten with and that is Lagat, Bernie I love you!
                                phsstt!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X