Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ¶Brussels m10K (non-DL)—Bekele 26:43.16 WL, Rupp AR 26:4

Originally posted by John G
    It was great to see Bekele win but somehow seeing him run like a mortal was a little sad. Sprinting down the home straight he just didn't look like his old self - short strides, slightly uneven running style with much more arm action. I felt like watching Geb in 2004. I don't think Jeilan and Mo need to lose sleep.
    It seems to me you are comparing Bekele when not fully fit to Mo/Jeylan fully fit. I think it is absolutely amazing that Bekele was able to come back and run 26:43. Yes, his finish was not like pre-2010 Bekele, but if he is able to train properly for London, I think he will be very difficult to beat. He may decide he has to run a longer kick, as he has done several times in the 5K, but he is perfectly capable of doing that. He has shown the ability to run any kind of race, with or without pacemaking. If I were Jeylan or Mo, I would lose sleep after seeing what Bekele just did.

Also, what about Lucas Rotich? He's 21, and finished just 10th in his heat at the Kenyan NC in Nairobi, 12th at Pre in 27:12.
    Cheers,
    Alan Shank
    Woodland, CA, USA

Comment

Originally posted by SQUACKEE
      Originally posted by gh
      I don't "question" anybody. I do, however, dispassionately attempt to analyze everybody. Being smitten with an athlete is wonderful—one of the best things the sport offers—but it also means you tend to start wearing goggles.
      If Bek can train, which was my entire point, and goes to London healthy, he will win. Then we will see who is wearing goggles. Analyze this- Bek runs Worlds and has to drop out due to lack of conditioning, 2 weeks later he runs 26:43,I have analyzed this and have concluded that Bek is still the best.

I am not smitten with Bek, I do have sympathy for great runners who get injured and then are dismissed. My dream is all the top 10k guys get to the London final healthy.

There is a runner I AM smitten with and that is Lagat, Bernie I love you!
      I am a huge fan of Bekele, but don't tell me he is a lock for the gold. Mo Farah has proven he will have to be beaten (yes I understand he was nipped for gold this year by one of the fastest finishes of all time) and Bekele has not had someone who posed this much of a challenge in quite some time, if ever, and Mo will get better next year. Bekele has been able to win by finishing fast off a fast pace. There are other guys that are doing that now and Bekele is aging. I seriously doubt he will ever sniff 26:17 again. He also must remain injury free through London and that may not be so easy for him now at his age.

The men's 10,000 should be one of the most exciting races of 2012 in London for many reasons.

Comment

I remember in 1965 when Kip Keino broke the world record in New Zealand for the 5,000. I think he ran about 13:24. Rupp just ran back-to-back 13:24's. Of course the world record pace is even more amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
          I don't "question" anybody. I do, however, dispassionately attempt to analyze everybody. Being smitten with an athlete is wonderful—one of the best things the sport offers—but it also means you tend to start wearing goggles.
          If Bek can train, which was my entire point, and goes to London healthy, he will win. Then we will see who is wearing goggles. Analyze this- Bek runs Worlds and has to drop out due to lack of conditioning, 2 weeks later he runs 26:43,I have analyzed this and have concluded that Bek is still the best.

I am not smitten with Bek, I do have sympathy for great runners who get injured and then are dismissed. My dream is all the top 10k guys get to the London final healthy.

There is a runner I AM smitten with and that is Lagat, Bernie I love you!
          let's see which of us remembers to bump this a year from now1

Comment

Originally posted by odelltrclan
            I am a huge fan of Bekele, but don't tell me he is a lock for the gold. Mo Farah has proven he will have to be beaten (yes I understand he was nipped for gold this year by one of the fastest finishes of all time) and Bekele has not had someone who posed this much of a challenge in quite some time, if ever, and Mo will get better next year. Bekele has been able to win by finishing fast off a fast pace. There are other guys that are doing that now and Bekele is aging. I seriously doubt he will ever sniff 26:17 again. He also must remain injury free through London and that may not be so easy for him now at his age.

The men's 10,000 should be one of the most exciting races of 2012 in London for many reasons.

A big factor for Bekele will be, as has always been the case, whether or not Ethiopia has two other guys of top ability who can support him with the team running dynamic that has succeeded in pulling them away from the majority of the field in championship races.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
              let's see which of us remembers to bump this a year from now1
              Which one? Probably they guy who gets it right! :P What's on the line, bragging rights. :twisted:

I have Bek and you have the rest of the best and the best of the rest. 8-)

I call that a bargain, the best I ever had!
              phsstt!

Comment

[quote=Alan Shank]
                Originally posted by "John G":2lmuivmc
                It was great to see Bekele win but somehow seeing him run like a mortal was a little sad. Sprinting down the home straight he just didn't look like his old self - short strides, slightly uneven running style with much more arm action. I felt like watching Geb in 2004. I don't think Jeilan and Mo need to lose sleep.
                It seems to me you are comparing Bekele when not fully fit to Mo/Jeylan fully fit. I think it is absolutely amazing that Bekele was able to come back and run 26:43. Yes, his finish was not like pre-2010 Bekele, but if he is able to train properly for London, I think he will be very difficult to beat. He may decide he has to run a longer kick, as he has done several times in the 5K, but he is perfectly capable of doing that. He has shown the ability to run any kind of race, with or without pacemaking. If I were Jeylan or Mo, I would lose sleep after seeing what Bekele just did.

Also, what about Lucas Rotich? He's 21, and finished just 10th in his heat at the Kenyan NC in Nairobi, 12th at Pre in 27:12.
                Cheers,
                Alan Shank
                Woodland, CA, USA[/quote:2lmuivmc]

Absolutely - I realise I was watching a less than fully fit Bek. I also agree that he will utilise a longer run for home next year because his kick is unlikley to ever return to it's former level.

I'd never compare a Mo or Jeilan to a fully fit Bekele. I just don't think we'll ever see a fully fit version again. I can't recall any runner who was able to dominate for 7 years, take a year or two off with serious injury and then come back at the same level.

Thanks for info on Rotich. Reminded me of the emergence of Kemboi against Geb in Brussels in 2003.

Comment

Originally posted by John G
                  I can't recall any runner who was able to dominate for 7 years, take a year or two off with serious injury and then come back at the same level.
                  Do you recall one who came back after 1-2 years with a serious injury and running the fastest time of the year?
                  phsstt!

Comment

Well, since there are only 2-4 fast 10,000 per year, it is not quite the same, especially since a couple of those are early in the year before the runners are in peak form.

Comment

[quote="26mi235"]Well, since there are only 2-4 fast 10,000 per year, it is not quite the same, especially since a couple of those are early in the year before the runners are in peak form.[/quote]
                      Yeah, like Bek was! :lol:
                      phsstt!

Comment

in the brussels 10k no one seems to even be mentioning geoffrey kirui who has a birthdate of 1993 and ran 26:55, he still has another year as a junior.

Comment

Originally posted by 26mi235
                          Well, since there are only 2-4 fast 10,000 per year, it is not quite the same, especially since a couple of those are early in the year before the runners are in peak form.[/quote]
                          Yeah, like Bek was! :lol:
                          Yes, but you are already including Bek's not being in peak form but not necessarily the rest of the contenders.

Bek will have to do this in a championship race, not one where he can sit and kick at the end. Because there are more suitors for that top spot, it will be harder to control the race. My guess is that someone goes from further out and it will be interesting to see if it can be maintained through to the finish or if several of those distanced early have enough to reel the leaders back in.

Comment

Because there are more suitors for that top spot, it will be harder to control the race.
                            But, in general, championship races are the easiest things in the world to predict: the pace for the first 60%-70% will be very modest, with a gradual increase from there on, and an all-out last 800/600m. Everyone knows this and everyone is (or should be) prepared for it.

What would truly interest me would be some deviation from this predictable scenario: something along the lines of Halberg, Ngugi, etc., or another Bedford-style from-the-gun blast.

Comment

Originally posted by doug5321
                              in the brussels 10k no one seems to even be mentioning geoffrey kirui who has a birthdate of 1993 and ran 26:55, he still has another year as a junior.
                              As Kuha said on the Aman thread

<<For the millionth time, none of us should get excited about these so-called "17-yr old" athletes on the basis of reputed age. The only thing that matters is their actual performances, which are impressive enough for any 25 yr. old.>>

Comment

Originally posted by kuha
                                Because there are more suitors for that top spot, it will be harder to control the race.
                                But, in general, championship races are the easiest things in the world to predict: the pace for the first 60%-70% will be very modest, with a gradual increase from there on, and an all-out last 800/600m. Everyone knows this and everyone is (or should be) prepared for it.

What would truly interest me would be some deviation from this predictable scenario: something along the lines of Halberg, Ngugi, etc., or another Bedford-style from-the-gun blast.
                                Maybe Bitan Karoki could surprise the field with his big surge in the middle... if he can survive the Kenyan trial first.

But then again, Jeilan handled him easily at the African Games, so he may not have much of an impact after all.

Comment

Working...
                                X