Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ¶Brussels m10K (non-DL)—Bekele 26:43.16 WL, Rupp AR 26:4

Originally posted by pickle47
    12:57 for the last 5k is a pretty effective tactic. Only employed once and got the desired result.
    Yes. However, as a "case study" of one, this is clearly the exception that proves the general rule. Interestingly, this data point "proves" both that a 12:57 last half will win, and that a 12:58 last half won't! A rather daunting "lesson" for today''s athletes.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave
      So who ran the last 5000 in 12:57? Bekele, Farah, or Rupp?
      Bekele to win the world championship in 2003

Comment

Originally posted by IanS_Liv
        I'm not particularly implying anything sinister, I just find the turn around in such a short time puzzling. It's just that I've always understood that it's your endurance work in the winter that gives you the form and strength to run so hard for so long in the summer, with tapering and speedwork to give you your edge. Maybe he had time to do catch up on the latter aspect and Daegu was too early?

I am a little sceptical about the long distances though, in general terms.
        Surely it's not that much different to Paula's comebacks in 2004 and 2008?

The pace was fluctuating quite a lot in the world 10,000m final in Daegu and while I didn't see the Brussels 10,000m, I'm guessing it was a bit more steady given that race had pacemakers in. I've always thought this will find you out if you're not in tip-top shape (Paula pretty much said the same thing after dropping out of the Athens 10,000m where halfway was reached in a fairly modest time but in an uneven pace).
        http://twitter.com/Trackside2011

Comment

bump

Comment

Working...
          X