replied
    Re: ¶Brussels m10K (non-DL)—Bekele 26:43.16 WL, Rupp AR 26:4

bump

Leave a comment:

• nevetsllim
    replied

Originally posted by IanS_Liv
    I'm not particularly implying anything sinister, I just find the turn around in such a short time puzzling. It's just that I've always understood that it's your endurance work in the winter that gives you the form and strength to run so hard for so long in the summer, with tapering and speedwork to give you your edge. Maybe he had time to do catch up on the latter aspect and Daegu was too early?

I am a little sceptical about the long distances though, in general terms.
    Surely it's not that much different to Paula's comebacks in 2004 and 2008?

The pace was fluctuating quite a lot in the world 10,000m final in Daegu and while I didn't see the Brussels 10,000m, I'm guessing it was a bit more steady given that race had pacemakers in. I've always thought this will find you out if you're not in tip-top shape (Paula pretty much said the same thing after dropping out of the Athens 10,000m where halfway was reached in a fairly modest time but in an uneven pace).

Leave a comment:

• Davidokun
    replied

Originally posted by Dave
    So who ran the last 5000 in 12:57? Bekele, Farah, or Rupp?
    Bekele to win the world championship in 2003

Leave a comment:

• kuha
    replied

Originally posted by pickle47
    12:57 for the last 5k is a pretty effective tactic. Only employed once and got the desired result.
    Yes. However, as a "case study" of one, this is clearly the exception that proves the general rule. Interestingly, this data point "proves" both that a 12:57 last half will win, and that a 12:58 last half won't! A rather daunting "lesson" for today''s athletes.

Leave a comment:

replied

Rupp-like breakthroughs (from 27-minutes to sub-26'50 and lower), including Rupp:

Sammy Kipketer (28'16"2A to 26'49"38); Josphat Bett (28'18"0A to 26'48"99); Imane Merga (27'33"53 to 26'48"35); Assefa Mezgebu (27'18"28 to 26'49"90); Mo Farah (27'14"07 to 26'46"57); Lucas Rotich (27'12"24 to 26'43"98); Galen Rupp (27'10"74 to 26'48"00); Salah Hissou (27'09"30 to 26'38"08); Moses Mosop (27'08"96 to 26'49"55); Boniface Kiprop (27'04"00 to 26'39"77); Moses Masai (27'03"20 to 26'49"20)

(All-time Athletics)

Leave a comment:

• Half Miler
    replied

Originally posted by Conor Dary
    By the way Rupp is the first American to break 4:20 per mile for 10k, ie 13 flat for 3. A time when I was growing up was still a big deal.
    Yes! I remember the T&FN cover of Paul Geis breaking 13 for the 3-mile, sometime in the '70s.

Makes Bekele's feat of back-to-back 13:08 5ks seem even more impossible.

Leave a comment:

• Dave
    replied

So who ran the last 5000 in 12:57? Bekele, Farah, or Rupp?

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied

By the way Rupp is the first American to break 4:20 per mile for 10k, ie 13 flat for 3. A time when I was growing up was still a big deal.

Leave a comment:

• IanS_Liv
    replied

I'm not particularly implying anything sinister, I just find the turn around in such a short time puzzling. It's just that I've always understood that it's your endurance work in the winter that gives you the form and strength to run so hard for so long in the summer, with tapering and speedwork to give you your edge. Maybe he had time to do catch up on the latter aspect and Daegu was too early?

I am a little sceptical about the long distances though, in general terms.

Leave a comment:

• Brian
    replied

Also, we need to remember these guys are professional athletes. Pride and country do of course matter, but I'm sure Bekele had thousands of more reasons to hang tough through the discomfort at Brussels. When we're talking livelihood and taking care of your family, these things matter a lot.

Leave a comment:

• Brian
    replied

[quote=Alan Shank]
    Originally posted by "IanS_Liv":9ji2j30y
    I'm sorry. I just don't see how a guy goes from dropping out of a race at 27:30 pace, trailing behind at that, to running 26:43 less than 3 weeks later, especially given it was his second race in two years.
    The difference in conditions between Daegu and Brussels, combined with another three weeks of training, including the "race practice" in the WC 10K, explain the difference in outcome. Or are you implying something else?
    Cheers,
    Alan Shank
    Woodland, CA, USA[/quote:9ji2j30y]

When someone is injured--or coming off a long layoff from injury--inconsistency is pretty much a given for a while.

Leave a comment:

• SQUACKEE
    replied

[quote=Alan Shank]
    Originally posted by "IanS_Liv":l97zad1x
    I'm sorry. I just don't see how a guy goes from dropping out of a race at 27:30 pace, trailing behind at that, to running 26:43 less than 3 weeks later, especially given it was his second race in two years.
    The difference in conditions between Daegu and Brussels, combined with another three weeks of training, including the "race practice" in the WC 10K, explain the difference in outcome. Or are you implying something else?
    Cheers,
    Alan Shank
    Woodland, CA, USA[/quote:l97zad1x]
    If he is implying something sinister, you must explain to me why Bek wouldnt do what he did for the worlds, why would he wait for brussels?

Leave a comment:

• Alan Shank
    replied

Originally posted by IanS_Liv
    Cheers,
    Alan Shank
    Woodland, CA, USA

Leave a comment:

• 26mi235
    replied

They may not be as good, but they will be comparable. I think that if a rested Mo Farah is in that race he keeps up with/ahead of Bekele and wins the race. Rupp trailed off at the last 400 or so meters, just where the difference between Rupp and Mo becomes apparent.

Leave a comment:

• nevetsllim
    replied

Originally posted by SQUACKEE
    Originally posted by nevetsllim
    Bekele didn't look at his absolute best but I'm sure he'll be better next year. His form looked reminiscent of his post-Mombasa track form in the early part of 2007. So many people were writing him off and saying he might never be the same athlete but after a few unconvincing victories in May/June, I saw him blast to an almost solo 7:26 3000m in the rain in Sheffield.
    Look out, you are in danger of being accused of smittenity! :P
    Don't get me wrong I don't think he'll ever get back to his peak but I think he can still challenge for global titles especially at 10,000m. He's still not that old and while Bekele has been injured for two years, Gebrselassie still enjoyed a very good season in 2003 despite missing nearly all of the 2001-02 track seasons through injury. Geb still came back to win silver behind a close-to-peak Bekele in Paris before his second fastest time ever in Brussels. I don't think Bekele will be facing anyone as good as he was in 2003-05 next year.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X