Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hardee -elbow surgery

It sure looked like he blew his elbow out in Daegu and it turns out he did. He is now recovering from UCL reconstruction(AKA Tommy John surgery). He plans to star throwing competitively in April. Full recovery from successful surgery is usually about 1 year.

Re: Hardee -elbow surgery

Ashton Eaton's gold chances are looking a little brighter it appears, though they were somewhat bright already. Anyone know how does this kind of surgery affect other field events?

Comment

It shows that you have to stay smart when competing. He already had a very good mark and his place were not going to be in jeopardy.

ops:

Comment

dead wrong!

García was in second flite, so Hardee had no idea what he might do. What he did know was that the Cuban had a far better PR than his in the javelin, and that García was also going to eat him up in the 1500.

He had no choice but to go balls to the wall, put as much distance between them as possible. Or in the case of the javelin, minimize the damage. As it turned out García would have best throw of day, but only slightly better than Hardee, so he was safe when the 1500 began.

But on the third throw he decidedly was not.

Comment

gh is correct, except, of course, he means Suárez, not García, and Suárez was last in the order in the first flight. If Suárez had matched his PB on his last throw in the javelin, then his score would have increased by 128 points. As it happened, Hardee defeated Suárez by 106.

Comment

ooops.... all those danged Cubans look alike ops:

Comment

but eaton saide the cubans were the bst partyiers out there..

i woulnd't give eaton the gold yet, i'd give suarez a fighting chance too

if teh duck fans are rooting for a Hardee Injury, what sort of real fans are they

Comment

Originally posted by az2004
                if the duck fans are rooting for a Hardee Injury, what sort of real fans are they
                Are they rooting for his injury? Where did you hear that?

Comment

It sounds like Hardee's surgery was Sept 17. The Decathlon Javelin will be August 9 next year.

Washington Nationals pitcher Steven Strasburg (about four-and-a-half years younger than Hardee) underwent the same surgery on Sept 3 last year. His first minor league game this year was August 7, and his first major league game on Sept 6.

Seems like Hardee is on a pretty tight schedule.

On the plus side there have been circumstances when major league pitchers came back from the surgery and were throwing with greater veolocity than ever before.

Comment

Originally posted by az2004
                    but eaton saide the cubans were the bst partyiers out there..

i woulnd't give eaton the gold yet, i'd give suarez a fighting chance too

if teh duck fans are rooting for a Hardee Injury, what sort of real fans are they
                    I'd like to see Hardee lose while scoring 8950. How is that?

Comment

Originally posted by dj
                      It sounds like Hardee's surgery was Sept 17. The Decathlon Javelin will be August 9 next year.
                      I would think he'd have to get back for the OT and that's in June, right?

Comment

Originally posted by dj

Washington Nationals pitcher Steven Strasburg (about four-and-a-half years younger than Hardee) underwent the same surgery on Sept 3 last year. His first minor league game this year was August 7, and his first major league game on Sept 6.

Seems like Hardee is on a pretty tight schedule.

On the plus side there have been circumstances when major league pitchers came back from the surgery and were throwing with greater veolocity than ever before.
                        Also, the pitchers have to throw 100 'real' pitches plus warm ups... and then do it again later in the week.

Comment

Originally posted by Cooter Brown
                          I would think he'd have to get back for the OT and that's in June, right?
                          Good point.

One question I have is the impact of Tommy John surgery on training for PV, SP and DT. If there is no impact, then Hardee might well be able to throw the jav lefthanded and still make the US team (I'm not kidding). If there is an impact, he's in trouble. Anyone know the answer?

Here are the numbers: Hardee normally throws high 60s in the JT. Let's say he can throw 40m lefthanded. If he performs in other events as he did in Gotzis last May, but throws the jav 40m, he scores 8343. That should make the US team.

Comment

Couldn't he just throw 40m 'easy' with his right hand, even though his elbow is not 'fully healed'.

Comment

UCL surgery rehab was quoted as 18 mo (based on how long it took, you guessed it, Tommy John to recover) It is now more often thought to be closer to 12 months and if everything goes very smoothly as short as 9 months.
                              However that is for pitchers returning to games. They can begin to practice throwing as early as 5 to 6 months. So presumably, less than full effort JT could begin around then.

I have no idea how long before he can try other throws or the PV.

Comment

Working...
                              X