Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kenya pre-picks Oly team - What if USA did?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kenya pre-picks Oly team - What if USA did?

I see that

Originally posted by IAAF
    Kenya Announces That All Gold Medallists From Daegu Along With Patrick Makau Are Automatically Named To London 2012 Team In a surprise announcement, AK selects Olympic team members way in advance. Team so far includes David Rudisha, Asbel Kiprop, Ezekiel Kemboi (steeple), Abel Kirui and Patrick Makau (marathon). The women have Vivian Cheruiyot (10k/5k double) and Edna Kiplagat (marathon).
    May I please have the following USA men pre-picked?

Men
    100 - Gay (!), Dix
    200 - ditto
    400 - no one - they gotta earn it!
    800 - Symmonds
    1500 - Centrowitz
    St - no one
    5000 - Lagat
    10000 - Rupp
    110H Oliver and Richardson
    400H - NONE!
    Mar - Hall
    HJ - Williams
    PV - Walker!
    LJ - Phillips
    TJ - Taylor & Claye
    SP - WTFK
    DT - none
    HT - Kibwe
    JT - Bro Breaux!
    Dec - Hardee & Eaton

Is this too much to ask?

Re: Kenya pre-picks Oly team - What if USA did?

Why no Merritt in the 400?

Comment

Gay's physical condition is (way) too much in question for such a move.

Comment

Originally posted by ATK
        Why no Merritt in the 400?
        Because the event was so down this year, everyone has to reprove themselves. JW is in the same boat now.

Originally posted by gh
        Gay's physical condition is (way) too much in question for such a move.
        a, there would be the standard 'must show fitness' clause to be confirmed to the team.
        b. he, of all people, needs to be 'protected'. If he had been able to shut it down after his 9.79 mark this year, show up in Daegu in one piece, he 'probably' would have medaled.

And I just realized, if the USATF would just show some sense and let ME pre-pick some of the team, I'd get off their backs on the Oly Trials issue of not picking the right team. :twisted:

Comment

Women:
          (Attn: USATF - I am being VERY reasonable here, so since you are currently rudderless, I suggest you take this verbatim and act on it immediately. It's only in your best interest - you can't afford another legal battle to fritter away the few $$$ you have left. I have retained the legal counsel of "Blud, Swett & Teers".)

100 - Jeter
          200 - Felix, Jeter
          400 - Felix, JRR (farewell gift)
          800 - Montano
          1500 - Simpson, Uceny
          St - Delilah (just so we can keep the love alive)
          5000 - none
          10000 - Flanagan
          100H (with all due respect to Lolo) - Wells, Carruthers, Harper
          400H - Demus
          Mar - none
          HJ - Lowe, Barrett
          PV - Suhr
          LJ - Reese
          TJ - this event has been cancelled
          SP - C-W, Carter
          DT - SBT, just cuz
          HT - none
          JT - Patterson
          Hep - Fountain

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
            Is this too much to ask?
            Just this morning I was wondering about this -- thought about posting the question myself.

Short answer to your question, Marlow: Yes. It is too much to ask. Part of the reason is the nature of the list you posted -- your methodology doesn't follow the Kenyan version, which -- with the exception of the WR marathon -- simply named Daegu gold medalists.

I'm not in favor of USA doing this -- for all its hazards, I'd rather see our athletes make it in an actual competition; otherwise, as we've often discussed (but not agreed on), the selection methodology is subject to many other considerations, as your suggested list illustrates.

Following the Kenyan methodology, USA would have:

110H Jason Richardson
            HJ Jesse Williams
            LJ Dwight Phillips
            TJ Christian Taylor
            Dec Trey Hardee
            100 Carmelita Jeter
            400H Lashinda Demus
            1500 Jenny Simpson
            LJ Brittney Reese

What do you think about naming that list, as of today?

Comment

Originally posted by Master Po
              110H Jason Richardson
              HJ Jesse Williams
              LJ Dwight Phillips
              TJ Christian Taylor
              Dec Trey Hardee
              100 Carmelita Jeter
              400H Lashinda Demus
              1500 Jenny Simpson
              LJ Brittney Reese
              What do you think about naming that list, as of today?
              OK, you twisted my arm.

Make it so. [aka, "Engage."]

Comment

I finally have to admit Marlow's idea makes a lot of sense.

The devil however, is in the details: the proof of fitness.

I'd suggest the simple means of proving fitness would be having those named to the team compete with the other hopefuls. Conduct the meet in such a way that it in some ways replicates what the Olympic situation will be like. Hold the meet a few weeks ahead of the Games. Then the first three finishers in each event--which should include all the pre-selects who have just proved their fitness--would be sent to London, providing they've met the qualifying standard.

Such a meet might even be good enough to draw spectators and sell TV rights.

Comment

without getting into the merits of such a meet, the devil is in the details, and in this case the devil is the same as it was in '08; USOC's demand that the team be named as of the end of the Trials.

Comment

Had to re-read it a few times--maybe I'm just slow today-- but I think dj's post was subtle tongue-in-cheek. The "meet" sounds like the OT (or USATF for WC years.) Quite good dead-pan post.

Comment

Originally posted by DrJay
                      Had to re-read it a few times--maybe I'm just slow today-- but I think dj's post was subtle tongue-in-cheek. The "meet" sounds like the OT (or USATF for WC years.) Quite good dead-pan post.
                      y'think? :roll: (my eyes are rolling at him, not you :wink: )
                      He thinks he's Mr. Smarty Pants, but it* IS broken and DOES need to be fixed!
                      Pre-selecting some athletes (let's start with medalists at the last global championships who show fitness** between May and the Trials) makes ENORMOUS sense if you actually want your best PROVEN athletes on the team. The next step is to take defending National Champions.

* USA team selection
                      ** the Trial qualifying mark, which is set to net the top X (18? 24? 30?) USA athletes

Comment

Just one question, Marlow -- who the heck is JRR? JR Rider?

Comment

Originally posted by gm
                          Just one question, Marlow -- who the heck is JRR? JR Rider?
                          That's SRR's twin sister, Jandra (married Ross's twin brother!). She's in all of Sandra's races, but is completely overshadowed by her sister, which is probably why you've never heard of her. Her 400 PR is only .001 (good photo-reader!) slower than SRR, and she's several years younger (Guinness world record for longest delivery), so she has more upside.

Comment

A lousy idea for any country

1. This is a sport where an athletes form can vary significantly from one season to another: Alonso Edward, Renny Quow, Daniel Bailey etc can attest to this. Therefore selection must be based on current form,

2. Some runners will loose motivation if they are not required to maintain their form prior to the Olympics.

3. Some runners will hide injuries and go to the Olympics at the expense of a fitter athlete

4. Runners will cry foul if exluded at the expense of another runner whose form is iffy. Do you remember Jon Drummond versus Carl Lewis in 1996 ? I can see Monzavous vs Tyson Gay in 2012 if your proposal is ever used.

Comment

Originally posted by kamikaze7
                              A lousy idea for any country
                              A know it's anti-American to suggest this proposal, but to paraphrase Winston Churchill:
                              Pre-selection is the worst form of picking a team, except for the fact that's it's better than all the other forms.
                              "Three-past-the-post" picks the best 3 THAT day - unfortunately the Olympics are NOT that day. If you want 3 with the best chance on the day of the Olympics, you have to pick the best ones OVERALL. Pre-selection is fair because the athletes had to have already performed superbly on the BIGGEST stage (the Trials are NOT the biggest stage).

The obvious problem with pre-selection is that they probably won't compete at the Trials, which then dilutes the meet, but do we want the best TRIALS we can have or the best TEAM we can have? I believe there will still be tremendous interest in the Trials because of all the spots that would still be open.

Comment

Working...
                              X