Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kenya pre-picks Oly team - What if USA did?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kenya pre-picks Oly team - What if USA did?

Originally posted by DrJay
    Had to re-read it a few times--maybe I'm just slow today-- but I think dj's post was subtle tongue-in-cheek. The "meet" sounds like the OT (or USATF for WC years.) Quite good dead-pan post.
    Thats the way I read it also.

Comment

kamikaze is correct.
      Marlow' s arguments are full of holes( aren't I brave?) and I am not repeating the good sense talked by Kamikaze; we have tried various forms of pre-selection in the UK years ago; always seemed to cause fierce arguments; as for "fitness", no sir, too many possibilities of athletes playing silly buggers re lack of form; athletes are not the most objectively honest about themselves and their condition when selection issues come up.

With vastly less elite quality athletes than the USA, we have tried in the UK all systems over the last 50 years except the first 3 at OT and they all have had supporters and opponents with some great rows involving athletes, officials and media.

The current rules for UK athletes for selection for the London OG are "political", committee- led and complex and still people are chosen who do not truly meet their own rules with special rights given to the Chief National Coach for dispensations; with athletes performing till the last hours before the legal time runs out and then shouting about they should be selected even if they were NBG at the required meet and time.

Also quoting Churchill, "the system( referring to parliamentary Government) is poor but show me something better". That applies to the USA system of first 3 past the post on the allotted days.

Comment

Originally posted by 72
        as for "fitness", no sir, too many possibilities of athletes playing silly buggers re lack of form; athletes are not the most objectively honest about themselves and their condition when selection issues come up.
        Here's a wild thought, but since anyone pre-selected would already be world-elite to begin with, wouldn't it be in their best interests to be fully fit at the Olympics? So, if they have achieved a 'show-fitness' mark, maybe we could, oh I don't know, TRUST them to know what they're doing, since they've done it before?

Comment

we tried preselected athletes as I recall a long time ago;it did not find favour generally and was scrapped.

As for trusting athletes, blimey, I dont do trusting sentimentality about athletes, whose ambitions, egos and general all round high competitiveness is not something that I would trust as far as objective selection for the National Team is concerned.

Comment

Originally posted by 72
            we tried preselected athletes as I recall a long time ago;it did not find favour generally and was scrapped.
            The USA has not done it for 50 years at least, so it's worth a shot now. If we don't like it, scrap it for the next Olympiad.

Originally posted by 72
            As for trusting athletes, blimey, I dont do trusting sentimentality about athletes, whose ambitions, egos and general all round high competitiveness is not something that I would trust as far as objective selection for the National Team is concerned.
            It is precisely because they DO have "ambitions, egos and general all round high competitiveness" that I DO trust them to be in the best shape possible for the Games. It's in their own best interest!

Comment

No way would I pre-pick Brad Walker. He hasn't been up to par for years now. But I'd be OK with pre-picking Jenn Suhr. At this point, she's our only serious medal contender in the men's or women's PV.

Comment

Originally posted by polevaultpower
                No way would I pre-pick Brad Walker. He hasn't been up to par for years now.
                Except for the fact that he's our only serious threat right now. Sure he could no-height (as usual this year), but he could also pop a big one, which right now our other top jumpers can't. He's a high-risk/high-reward guy and we can certainly afford to 'waste' one of the spots on him, since whoever the other two are (top 2 at the OT) most probably have no shot at a medal anyway. If we were flush with 5.80-5.90 jumpers, I'd agree with you, but we're NOT!

Here's the sad reality of USA mPVing this year

5.84 19-2 Brad Walker
                5.72 18-9¼ Derek Miles
                Scott Roth
                Jeremy Scott
                5.65 18-6½ Jack Whitt
                5.63i 18-5½ Mark Hollis
                5.55 18-2½ Nick Mossberg
                5.52 18-1¼ Jacob Pauli
                5.51i 18-1 Jason Colwick
                Paul Litchfield

Comment

I'd say the method currently used worked very well this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce Kritzler
                    Agree -- One good piece of evidence for this is Centrowitz. Would anyone have "pre-picked" him for the WC team? I acknowledge it's only one piece of evidence, but it is a good one.

Comment

Oliver would have been a shoo-in. He got 4th in Daegu. Well, 5th, but for the DQ. That is to say, he disappointed. I think many pre-selected athletes would be ones we'd expect to medal.

It would be instructive for someone without an encyclopedic knowledge of who won every event at the OG and WC to go back, review the pre-OG/WC season and Annual edition, pick the ones they'd give a pass for the next year, then see how that pick really did the next year. Might take a bit of time to do it.

Comment

[quote=Master Po]
                        Originally posted by "Bruce Kritzler":a5lm0btq
                        Agree -- One good piece of evidence for this is Centrowitz. Would anyone have "pre-picked" him for the WC team? I acknowledge it's only one piece of evidence, but it is a good one.[/quote:a5lm0btq]
                        You missed the point. He would NOT have been pre-picked, but as the Trials winner, he CERTAINLY would have been on the team! Not every event would have a pre-picked athlete, and certainly there wouldn't be more than one per event (my initial post notwithstanding), so that leaves two spots open for the New Stars.

Comment

excellent mental exercise. will it happen ?

this year's pre selected on the us team, wild cards based on the 2009 world titles
                          men's 400 m - merritt - SILVER
                          men's 400 h - clement - eliminated in semis
                          men's LJ - phillips - GOLD !
                          men's SP - cantwell - 4th
                          men's deca - hardee - GOLD
                          so 3/5 men won a medal, two of them repeated their gold medal performence

women's 200 m - felix - BRONZE
                          women's 400 m - richards-ross - 7th
                          women's LJ - reese - GOLD
                          so 2/3 women won a medal, one of them gold.
                          overall 5/8 won a medal and three of them gold, not a bad return.

even though it totally makes sense to guaraentee a spot (barring injury) to this year's nine individual world champions the us had in deagu, it will not happen for next year's olympic games.

Comment

Working...
                          X