Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And the TFN cover goes to....

Re: And the TFN cover goes to....

Good choice. Lots of surprises at the WCs, with Jenny probably the most surprising. Also best reaction to a surprise win. I was kind of hoping for the stunned look right after the finish, but I'll take this.

Comment

her run in the semis foretold good things

Comment

Originally posted by mcgato
        Good choice. Lots of surprises at the WCs, with Jenny probably the most surprising. Also best reaction to a surprise win. I was kind of hoping for the stunned look right after the finish, but I'll take this.
        What TV cameras can do and what still photogs can do are two different things. If you're a photog at the finish, you see the field sweep off the final curve. Rodriguez is leading on the rail. Simpson swings wide, and with 90 meters to go is in lane 3; shortly thereafter, England is outside her in 4.

You've only got one choice; you turn your camera to landscape mode (if you didn't have it that way the whole time anyway), not portrait. So the shot you get of the actual finish is wide, and by necessity because of the number of people in the fray, not tightly focused. No cover material there.

A few seconds later, however.......

Comment

Originally posted by gh
          you turn your camera to landscape mode (if you didn't have it that way the whole time anyway), not portrait. So the shot you get of the actual finish is wide, and by necessity because of the number of people in the fray, not tightly focused. No cover material there.
          Are these not 10+MP high-speed cameras? Even in a wide shot, you should me able to enlarge the image, crop it, and have a quality picture of a single finisher, no?

Comment

Are these not 10+MP high-speed cameras? Even in a wide shot, you should me able to enlarge the image, crop it, and have a quality picture of a single finisher, no?[/quote]

It could be possibly cropped for a smaller picture inside the magazine.....But not large enough for a quality Cover.....

Comment

Originally posted by leatherlung2
              It could be possibly cropped for a smaller picture inside the magazine.....But not large enough for a quality Cover.....
              Really! I have taken group shots with my 8MP, enlarged one person into an 8x10 and it's looked good to me, but then, again, I am not a magazine publisher . . .

Comment

not being something has never stopped you from wading in with both feet before; why stop now? The world isn't completely filled with morons, you know.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                  not being something has never stopped you from wading in with both feet before; why stop now? The world isn't completely filled with morons, you know.
                  I was kinda hoping the "?" at the end of my question would indicate the interrogative nature of my post, but hey, if insulting me floats your boat, go for it! 8-)

Comment

I'll stop the day you quit painting us as clueless morons.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                      I'll stop the day you quit painting us as clueless morons.
                      October 4, 2011. Marlow hereby proclaims,

"T&FN is not a myriad of morons!! Any post that could be construed as impugning the professionalism of any or all employees is hereby declared a misperception on either the party of the first (aka, my bad!) or the party of the second (aka, he didn't mean what I thought he meant!). Any such characterization is immediately declared 'null and void'."

There, that should just about do it!

Comment

Originally posted by gh

What TV cameras can do and what still photogs can do are two different things. If you're a photog at the finish, you see the field sweep off the final curve. Rodriguez is leading on the rail. Simpson swings wide, and with 90 meters to go is in lane 3; shortly thereafter, England is outside her in 4.

You've only got one choice; you turn your camera to landscape mode (if you didn't have it that way the whole time anyway), not portrait. So the shot you get of the actual finish is wide, and by necessity because of the number of people in the fray, not tightly focused. No cover material there.

Its not just the nature of the camera. Its the number of cameras as well. All the photogs are competing for the one great shot. The TV producer is choosing from a bunch of cameras, all coached to record different angles.

BTW, the camera technologies are actually converging to point where still-camera now do better video than traditional TV cameras. For instance, by Canon 5D is a still camera but is used to shoot movies, commercials & sitcoms.

Comment

Consider also the number of frames per second that a TV image gets compared to the best motor-driven stills camera.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                            Consider also the number of frames per second that a TV image gets compared to the best motor-driven stills camera.
                            [At the risk of re-excoriation] The nature of what a camera 'is' is rapidly changing. The high-end 'still' cameras now take hi-res video, and as the MPs increase, one frame of the video will indeed be able to blown up as a high-res (i.e. cover-quality) 8x10.

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
                              high-res (i.e. cover-quality) 8x10.
                              From this:

To a cover crop

For science journals, figures are usually printed 300 dots per inch (dpi). Anything more is not really useful so I assume that it close to what TFN uses. The cover would need to be 2400 x 3000 pixels minimum. That means the original would need to be 6400 x 3700. That is equivalent to a camera with a minimum capture matrix of 24 megapixels.

I have no idea if high end cameras are up to that resolution.

Comment

Working...
                              X