Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frequent automatic logouts???

Anybody have any advice as to how I can avoid the unbelievably frequent automatic logouts on this site that I've experienced over the past week or so?... If I log in and don't complete my post in 5 to 10 minutes (and sometimes less), I lose everything I've written when I hit preview or submit and I'm sent back to the login screen... This never used to happen on this site before, and it isn't currently happening on any other sites I post on... In the past week I've probably lost about 10 posts because of this, and it's frustrating, especially since it never happened here before and doesn't happen anywhere else... I know I can click on the "log me in automatically" button to stay logged in, but I never had to do that before and never had the problem of being logged out after just a few minutes on this site... Does anyone know if anything changed here lately?

Re: Frequent automatic logouts???

It never happened to me.
    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
    by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

This is happening to me all the time. It's pretty infuriating.

Comment

Sometimes I have to re-login after going online but nothing like getting logged off while online.

Comment

It happens with an Opera browser (my fav) occasionally. Not with Firefox.. I don't know about IE I never use it.

As an aside the new Firefox wasn't cool for me. It was slow at times and no status bar. I dumped it and went back to 3.6.23.

Comment

I have had this problem before, but it hasn't been super bad lately. It does log me out once every few days even though I have it set to keep me logged in all the time.

I recommend composing long posts in TextEdit or Word then pasting them into the site.

Comment

I assume any auto logouts have to do with a cookie/browser history dump. I've never had it happen here in the middle of a session. Other sites, particularly one site that uses vBulletin software, do have a bad habit of timing out while composing(though the back button there does recover the post).

As a general rule, I always copy any extended posts before submitting just in case, particularly when blogging.
              There are no strings on me

Comment

a Mac vs. PC thing? None of my Macs have ever stayed logged on for more than 20 minutes or so of inactivity. PC at my friend's house appeaars to stay on forever, which was a new phenomenon for me this weekend.

Comment

Very likely. This ONLY started after I switched to a MAC.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                    None of my Macs have ever stayed logged on for more than 20 minutes or so of inactivity.
                    I use MAC's and I always click the "Log me on automatically each visit" option when i sign in. I rarely have to log in, possibly once a month? And have never logged out while writing a post.

Comment

My PC knows better than to log me out and never does. :twisted:

Comment

All these responses are very curious.

When I take my MacBook home each day and back to work in the morning, I've left it on the whole time. It goes to sleep, but I don't log out and the site doesn't kick me out. I can go days at a time.

????

Comment

DJ - For me it's been virtually the opposite position. Having got a new computer early this year, I couldn't log on for about 7 months. After using a new e-mail address specifically to access this ite I was able to re-register with a slightly adjusted ID

Comment

Originally posted by richh1948
                            DJ - For me it's been virtually the opposite position. Having got a new computer early this year, I couldn't log on for about 7 months. After using a new e-mail address specifically to access this ite I was able to re-register with a slightly adjusted ID
                            That explains why you haven't been around to catch all my slip-ups!

Comment

Back a month or two ago when there were site problems I had to login each time. Otherwise I never do and have not had any 'timeout' issues. I virtually always use Firefox (and might go back one version). My biggest problem with Firefox is that it continually takes more memory the longer I am visiting sites, even if they tabs are closed.

Comment

Working...
                              X