X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• malmo
    replied
    Re: Olympic Trials 1500

>I don't need any tinhorn poster to let me know who Oletimer isn't, thank you
    >very much. The post stands on its own. Unlike Oletimer's claims.

You're very welcome, kind Sir. Just because you're out of the loop, it doesn't mean Oletimer is too.

Leave a comment:

• malmo
    replied

>Your points are strong enough to
    >stand on their own, but when you post that you have beaten most of those
    >runners in the past and then refuse to state your identity you run the risk of
    >of sounding like a bullshitter. It lacks legitimacy to reference your career
    >in an argument but not let others know who you are so they can evaluate those
    >statement for themselves.

>That, and I am now curious as to who you are.

Steve, I do not question Oletimer's legitimacy - not even for a second - nor should you. In the internet version of the campfire game "Telephone", on the first call you've already changed Oletimer's quote from "I have run against and beaten many of those to whom posters compare these kids" to "(I)have beaten most of those runners in the past." By the time a few more of the local gruelbrains here get ahold of the quote it will soon become a GabeJennings-like "I own El Guerrouj."

Curiosity is a good thing. Generally. Don't let it keep you up at night.

Leave a comment:

• Retouch Man
    replied

I don't need any tinhorn poster to let me know who Oletimer isn't, thank you very much. The post stands on its own. Unlike Oletimer's claims.

Leave a comment:

• steve
    replied

Would you reveal your true identity? Malmo and I guess some
    >others
    >know you are, some of us don't :-)
    I really do not want to as it
    >would likely change the issue and I don't want to change it.

Your points are strong enough to stand on their own, but when you post that you have beaten most of those runners in the past and then refuse to state your identity you run the risk of of sounding like a bullshitter. It lacks legitimacy to reference your career in an argument but not let others know who you are so they can evaluate those statement for themselves.

That, and I am now curious as to who you are.

Leave a comment:

• malmo
    replied

>I doubt it.

>I also doubt
    >emulating Scott, Liquori, some of Ryun's work, Spivey, etc. would hurt anyone.
    >And you aren't one of these guys.

Greenhorn, I assure you Oletimer is neither Scott, Ryun, Liquori or Spivey. He ran before those guys (well maybe not before Ryun and Liquori).

Leave a comment:

• Retouch Man
    replied

I have run against and beaten many of those to whom posters compare
    >these kids.

I doubt it.

But if you feel it helps add legitimacy to your posts, go ahead and say so. After all, it is the internet.

I also doubt emulating Scott, Liquori, some of Ryun's work, Spivey, etc. would hurt anyone. And you aren't one of these guys.

Leave a comment:

• Oletimer
    replied

><I have run against and beaten many of those to whom you compare these
    >kids>

Would you reveal your true identity? Malmo and I guess some others
    >know you are, some of us don't :-)
    I really do not want to as it would likely change the issue and I don't want to change it.

Leave a comment:

• Pego
    replied

<I have run against and beaten many of those to whom you compare these kids>

Would you reveal your true identity? Malmo and I guess some others know you are, some of us don't :-)

Leave a comment:

• Oletimer
    replied

>Oletimer - I'm not sure what you're asking. Do you want my personal opinion
    >about US milers? If so, lemme know and I'll spew forth probably more than you
    >want to read.
    Spew forth all that you want. Most people don't like being criticised as part of a "batch" or "crop". Do they all have something in common that you'd like to change? If these guys are lucky to stay healthy long enough to figure out what works for them, they will be good. Some have gone through 4 coaches in 4 years. Most have adjusted their training when they figure out how the body reacts. Some are pushing the miles up as their form allows. Stember, Lunn,Robison, and Berryhill train differently and none like whatever Brooks did and you know it. I don't know what Webb and Gruber are doing.
    What are you going to say that is universal to these guys.
    As far as comparing these guys to the old time runners, I don't. Without going into detail, I have run against and beaten many of those to whom posters compare these kids. I can't imagine the current runners doing some of the stupid workouts of yesteryear. One might survive, but I don't know which one.
    You are looking at the best that this nation can produce and they are universal in working as hard as possible.

Leave a comment:

• malmo
    replied

>e.g., Scott and Spivey had very different programs, both had careers >that any current U.S. miler should envy. Make sense, malmo?

Bad example, Sieg. Actually Scott and Spivey were more similar than not. But I get what you were trying to say, and it's the oldest and most hackneyed argument in the book. Saying that there is a full spectrum of methods that work is not the same as choosing an anomaly as an example and promoting those ideas as a valid alternative to the proven methods that work for 95 percent of the athletes.

Basically Dan's article tacitly said as much. The glaring contrasts in the piece were the opinions of those with the credentials vs the one without.

The most rational plan is to mimic what works for the best, try those methods, review and adjust as needed. Each athlete will eventually find his own training niche and personal sweet spot that way.

Leave a comment:

• malmo
    replied

>What is Atkinson doing today?

Last I heard he was a high-priced personal trainer SLASH raconteur in Redondo Beach. A pretty good gig, I might add.

Leave a comment:

• 15mph
    replied

What is Atkinson doing today?

He was a ray of hope until Falcon and Holman arrived on the scene.

You know, US milers weren't that bad back then.

Irrelevant Though of the Day:
    I remember the story of Roger Bannister telling Joe Falcon to give up drinking Coke. Falcon took that advice and posted a 3:49 mile. Bannister thought drinking Coke was a mistake for distance runners. I don't know what research this was based on.

Leave a comment:

• malmo
    replied

>I think Dan interviewed Johnson because he has a HUGE say in how USATF
    >development funds are spent as director of USATF's High Performance Program and
    >in the USATF coaching education curriculum. That makes his views reasonable
    >fodder for discussion. I think Johnson's done good work with the relay program,
    >but that his methods in the middle distances work with only a small percentage
    >of athletes (see Jeff Atkinson, Patti Sue Plumer). That said, my personal take
    >is that there are many paths to success. All involve a lot of hard work and
    >intelligent rest; the athlete has to find the formula that works for him or
    >her.

e.g., Scott and Spivey had very different programs, both had careers
    >that any current U.S. miler should envy. Make sense, malmo?

Anyone who has ever spent just five minutes with Atkinson could only come up with one conclusion - Jeff would make it in spite of any program put to him. He was a scrappy kid who simply willed himself to be better. If he wanted to be a ping pong player he'd have been a damn good one.

Leave a comment:

• sl
    replied

I think Dan interviewed Johnson because he has a HUGE say in how USATF development funds are spent as director of USATF's High Performance Program and in the USATF coaching education curriculum. That makes his views reasonable fodder for discussion. I think Johnson's done good work with the relay program, but that his methods in the middle distances work with only a small percentage of athletes (see Jeff Atkinson, Patti Sue Plumer). That said, my personal take is that there are many paths to success. All involve a lot of hard work and intelligent rest; the athlete has to find the formula that works for him or her.

e.g., Scott and Spivey had very different programs, both had careers that any current U.S. miler should envy. Make sense, malmo?

>Easy there buddy. I thought
    >the article was fine, and, as we've become accustomed to on the internet, not
    >what it was said to be. I'm still not sure why you interviewed Brooks Johnson?
    >That seemed rather odd to me.

Leave a comment:

• Retouch Man
    replied

He said the same thing about NZ in an interview a few years ago. You can probably find it on google.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X