This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: T&FN Forum Favourite Athletes: THE RESULTS 106th-103rd

Have I missed Mary Peters or is she still in the running (and jumping and throwing).

Comment

I used to enjoy arriving at The Palace early to watch the athletes in the warm up area. Melinte's coach used to give her a pre-race massage. Nothing unusual in that, but he focussed primarily on her breasts. Quite a bizarre sight, him stood facing her, making vigorous circular movements.

I must stress this is not a Gruber-esque anecdote.

Comment

Originally posted by John G
        I used to enjoy arriving at The Palace early to watch the athletes in the warm up area. Melinte's coach used to give her a pre-race massage. Nothing unusual in that, but he focussed primarily on her breasts. Quite a bizarre sight, him stood facing her, making vigorous circular movements.

:shock: :lol: :lol:
        i deserve extra credit

Comment

Originally posted by mump boy
          Flumpy has expressed my reasons for voting for Mesnil and Melinte
          i don't understand what you mean. My Romy isn't a bigamist!!! :shock:

Comment

Originally posted by John G

Rember how she would lie on her back, get her legs high in the air and move onto her upper back (with her elbows on the floor and hands holding her lower back for balance) and shake her legs loose before a race? I've not described that very well :? but you get the picture!

I too loved Doina. Loved her gypsy gold, loved her badly dyed hair,(it seemed that to be a great Romanian runner you had to have a bad dye job...see Puice too) loved her running style (which Szabo gratefully copied) and loved her sprint finish. She always came across as having an air of superiority about her. She was the Joan Collins of the track..only the trashy version

I used to love the Romanian kit in the 80's as well; those awful pale blue brushed cotton/towelling gym knickers and yellow vest. So wrong but so right.

Comment

Originally posted by maroon
              every time i see people like kallur and blanka and the powells i have to go back to my list to check -- why weren't they in my top 20?

anyway, love, love, love kallur. hated that she got robbed by michelle perry at the wc. hated even more that he hasn't regained that form. maybe she will do a brigitte foster hylton and win a gold medal when everybody is counting her out. (bfh is high on my list as well -- that berlin win was one of the most satisfying to see)

perry, oth, was a fine athlete, but i never really warmed up to her.
              I had a bit of a frosty experience with Perry. I was hunting for autographs at the Sheffield Grand Prix in 2007 (I normally don't bother but I was sitting right by where the athletes leave the track and being 16 at the time, I felt I was on the cusp of being able to do this age-wise and after the 100m hurdles finished, she was signing autographs on the other side of the exit to the mixed-zone and this annoying kid next to me kept shouting 'Perry, Perry - come here, Perry.' She obviously thought it was me who was heckling her and she gave me a rather nasty before snapping she'll sign my programme in a minute. ops:
              http://twitter.com/Trackside2011

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriella

I too loved Doina. Loved her gypsy gold, loved her badly dyed hair,(it seemed that to be a great Romanian runner you had to have a bad dye job...see Puice too) loved her running style (which Szabo gratefully copied) and loved her sprint finish. She always came across as having an air of superiority about her. She was the Joan Collins of the track..only the trashy version

I used to love the Romanian kit in the 80's as well; those awful pale blue brushed cotton/towelling gym knickers and yellow vest. So wrong but so right.
                all of this ^ x 10

just looking back and Hassiba Boulmerka only got 1 vote, i don't know i didn't vote for her Barcelona 1500 is one of my favourite races of all time
                i deserve extra credit

Comment

I wonder, do you think gh will let us start a thread on our least favourite athletes? I have plenty

I loved Boulmerka too, but again, I did not include her. I think I should have spent more time on my nominations :?

We shouldn't under estimate what a big deal it was for women to compete in athletics in certain countries. Thank God for Boulmerka, Shouua and Nawal El Moutawakel, they really were pioneers.

Boulmerka had a rather..unusual face, but when I saw her back in 92 glammed up with lots of make-up and a chanel-type suit, she looked like any other rich Arab you might see walking around Paris. She was a million miles away from the tiger we'd see on the track. However much I enjoyed her winning in both Tokyo and Barcelona, for some reason my two biggest memories of her are the 95 Worlds where she raced Holmes to the line in the SF and her failure to finish in Atlanta. It's funny how certain things stick in the mind.

Comment

Ahhhhhhhhhhh, can't believe I forgot Sally Pearson on my list.

No room on my list for for Bob Mathias, S. Kallur, El G or John Powell.

Vlasic out already? I had her as my number 14
                    I felt so bad for her as she had three losses in 2007-08 at the worst possible times. 2007 she lost her first Golden leauge meet to be out of the jackpot. Then she lost the LAST Golden Meet of '08 to miss out on that jackpot too! And, of course, losing the Gold Medal was an enormous disappointment.

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriella
                      I wonder, do you think gh will let us start a thread on our least favourite athletes? I have plenty

I loved Boulmerka too, but again, I did not include her. I think I should have spent more time on my nominations :?

We shouldn't under estimate what a big deal it was for women to compete in athletics in certain countries. Thank God for Boulmerka, Shouua and Nawal El Moutawakel, they really were pioneers.

Boulmerka had a rather..unusual face, but when I saw her back in 92 glammed up with lots of make-up and a chanel-type suit, she looked like any other rich Arab you might see walking around Paris. She was a million miles away from the tiger we'd see on the track. However much I enjoyed her winning in both Tokyo and Barcelona, for some reason my two biggest memories of her are the 95 Worlds where she raced Holmes to the line in the SF and her failure to finish in Atlanta. It's funny how certain things stick in the mind.
                      Was it 96 she veered off the track, then start running again and then gave up ?, in my head it was 97 :?
                      i deserve extra credit

Comment

Originally posted by mump boy
                        i'm pleased that Calvin Smith got votes, he always seemed like a gentleman and was overshadowed by the more attention seeking sprinters of the time
                        I was one of the Calvin Smith voters. I liked him a lot because neither looked or acted like the Incredible Hulk. I also like that he ran a lot of 200's, which is so often a complete afterthought for the 100 meter stars.

Comment

I am surprised Hicham didn't get more votes. He was my #3 on my list.

Calvin Smith was one of my picks (#16).

Comment

Originally posted by Tuariki
                            Jacko was #17 on my list.

And even though he was only 16, had never competed in a senior international, and had only the 30th best senior performance of the year, when this "Favourite Athlete" list was started by mump boy in December, Jacko got my vote not because he is a fellow kiwi and that I competed with his Dad many years ago, but because he rekindled an interest in TnF that had sort of gone into a relative comatose state.

I don't think there has ever been a youth athlete who has ever generated such excitement or who has ever been so dominant over his fellow competitors. Not even the teenage Usain Bolt. I mean has any field eventer in history ever beaten the silver medallist in a major internatinal championship by more than the 19.65% that Jacko did last year at the youth world's?

And what will Jacko do this year? My predictions.

6.00kg -- 24.00
                            7.26kg -- 21.30
                            1.75kg -- 65.00
                            Jacko also 17 on my list. Glad he chose SP over rugby!

Comment

I have not noticed Mary Peters on the list so far but Mump will no doubt put me right on that. She is one of mine, for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by 72
                                I have not noticed Mary Peters on the list so far but Mump will no doubt put me right on that. She is one of mine, for sure.
                                you're right Gold Medal MAry hasn't appeared yet

i'll post more in an hour
                                i deserve extra credit

Comment

Working...
                                X