Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Favor-Hamilton racing again

Originally posted by vip
    Favor-Hamilton was denied $$$ and acclaim because of Jacobs, so she probably and rightly harbors some resentment about the unfair aspect of her professional career.

I always wondered how much more decorated Ashford would've been if she didn't compete in "that era."
    I don’t think that Ashford would win many more major titles, as she won almost every time she was not injured.
    Ashford won the double in 79 & 81.
    She was injured in 1983
    She won 1984
    Injured in 1987
    So, the only added medal was maybe gold in 1988.

She would probably broke a few more WRs but I doubt if she would reach 10.76 without Gohr.

But if she didn’t compete at that era we wouldn’t have the wonderful day in Zurich (the best T&F moment for me) when Ashford left the blocks so slowly (relatively of course) only to catch Gohr after 70 meters and then win by almost a meter with the 10.76.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Mdu3fQXBUE

Comment

Originally posted by ExCoastRanger
      Suzy Favor-Hamilton was much more than merely a "fine collegiate athlete." She is one of the winningest collegians ever, and ranked top-10 amongst the world's best 1,500m runners four times (5th in '97, 7th in '00, 6th in '01, 4th in '02).
      The Big Ten Athlete of the Year (not track, all sports) is the Jesse Owens Award. It has only been won twice by T&F athletes in its 30 years (Spivey and Sunder Nix) and only by one guy from Wisconsin (Ron Dayne, the year he won the Heisman).

The Big Ten Woman's Athlete of the year is the Suzy Favor Hamilton Award after she won it three straight times and the Honda Award for top collegiate athlete of the year.

slightly dated with a couple errors from Wikipedia
      High school competition

U.S. Junior record in the 1500 m
      Three times held the U.S. Junior title in the 1500 m
      Twice the Pan American Juniors gold medalist (1984, 1986)
      Won 11 state high school titles
      Named one of the 100 High School Athletes of the Century by Scholastic Sports Magazine

Collegiate

At the University of Wisconsin–Madison, Favor won nine NCAA individual titles which, while now tied by Sally Kipyego, still stands as the most in NCAA history. Favor's other collegiate accomplishments include:

NCAA Championships record holder in the 800 m and 1500 m
      Two NCAA Cross-Country Championships runner-up awards
      NCAA Top Six Award
      NCAA Woman of the Year
      23 Big Ten Conference championships
      Four [actually only 3] Big Ten Athlete of the Year Awards, which is now called the "Suzy Favor Award"
      Big Ten Athlete of the Decade for the 1990s
      World University Games silver medalist
      Jumbo Elliot Award
      Honda-Broderick Cup Award
      Babe Zaharias Award
      14 All-American awards

[edit] Professional

After graduating, Favor-Hamilton competed extensively, with the following results:

Competed three times for the U.S. in the Olympic Games, 1992, 1996 and 2000
      Competed seven times in the U.S. National Championships
      Held the U.S. record for the 1000 m
      Held the U.S. indoor record for the 800 m
      Won the bronze medal at the 1998 Goodwill Games
      Finished 5th at the 2002 World Cross-Country Championships (short course), the best-ever finish by a U.S. woman
      Five sub-four minute 1500 m, which are five of the nine fastest times ever run by an American
      Only U.S. woman to have the fastest seasonal 1500 m time in the world. In 2000, she was ranked number one in the world based on time, at 3:57.40.
      Named USA Track and Field Distance Runner of the Year, 2000
      Ranked number one in the U.S. in 1989, 1990, 2000, 2001 and 2002

Comment

Four consecutive Wisconsin high school state championships (1600) followed by four consecutive NCAA championships (1500), freshman through senior years in both cases. Steve Prefontaine won two Oregon state high school 2M titles, his junior and senior seasons, and four consecutive NCAA 5000 titles. Seilala Sua apparently won three consecutive Florida state discus titles, sophomore through senior, and four consecutive NCAA discus titles. Angela Williams won California high school 100 titles her junior and senior seasons, then four consecutive NCAA 100s. Marty Liquori won three consecutive NCAA 1500s, sophomore through senior, but freshmen weren't eligible for the NCAAs his first year at Villanova. I don't know what he did as a high schooler in New Jersey. My TFNs don't go back that far. If there's somebody else in American track & field who achieved four and four, or close, I don't know who it is. Possibly somebody from NCAA Division II. Jenny Barringer Simpson won three Florida state high school XC titles, and three NCAA steeplechase titles, losing a shoe on the first lap of the other NCAA steeple in 2007 and surrendering 80 meters, stopping to fix it, in a race which included and was won by Anna Willard Pierce.

Comment

Or, I should have said, Prefontaine won four consecutive NCAA 3M/5000 titles. 1972 was a 5000. 1970, 1971, and 1973 were 3Ms.

Comment

Good luck to Suzy who I found to be exceedingly gracious and polite in meets in which I officiated.

Comment

she had emotional problems

brother commits suicide..

main rival a drug cheat

what a bunch of losers, those oregon folk are

so full of themselves, don't even realize how patethic they are...

Comment

Originally posted by Halfmiler2
                Good luck to Suzy who I found to be exceedingly gracious and polite in meets in which I officiated.
                Great interview here. She touches on her brothers suicide. She comes across as a genuine fan of track and field as well as one of its stars.

http://www.flotrack.org/coverage/238557 ... mpic-Games

Comment

Working...
                X