X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blake will beat Bolt in London...

...says Maurice Greene.
    8-)
    "If everybody competes like they did this year, I'd say Yohan Blake is going to win," Greene told BBC Radio 5 live. "He's the world champion so his confidence is getting higher and higher all the time. Remember they train together and the way it sounds to me, he [Blake] seems to be the dominant person in the 100m in their training group. So everyday they are training together, his confidence is getting bigger and bigger. When they come to the Games, if Usain is still having those problems, Blake's confidence level will be through the roof and he's going to be hard to handle. Usain has trouble in close races. If you think about the close races he's had, he's lost [them]."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/athletics/16109229.stm
    My heart is still in the Caribbean....

Re: Blake will beat Bolt in London...

If you listen to the end of the audio that accompanies that article, you'll hear Greene say that if Bolt runs as fast as he did in China, he'll win.

Given what he ran in Berlin, Is there any reason to think Bolt won't run as fast as he did in China?

Comment

Blake's 9.82 is a long way off from Bolt's 9.58.

Comment

I hope there's lots of Blake hype leading up to London, cuz that's probably exactly what Bolt needs to hear to ensure his victory.

Comment

Why do so many people assume that Bolt is going to run 9.58 again when he hasn't come anywhere close to that in the years since?

Comment

Originally posted by notorious
            Blake's 9.82 is a long way off from Bolt's 9.58.
            And his previous PR was a long way from 19.26. He smoked the field in the 100 and I still think that Blake's presence in that race was part of the reason that there was so much pressure the Bolt false started. He was very concerned about his start, which had been both poor and not very reliable. He had run down a lot of guys like Powell just before the end. He knew, probably, that if he gave a big or maybe not even that big a lead to Blake he was not going to have a very easy time of running him down. Not sure I think that Blake is the favorite, but a healthy Gay looks to be third favorite in my book...

Comment

Originally posted by JumboElliott
              Why do so many people assume that Bolt is going to run 9.58 again when he hasn't come anywhere close to that in the years since?
              Good assumption because his coach stated that he is still capable of running that time. I will believe his coach since he is the one that conditions him. If u read the articles on how his coach has been setting his programs after 2009 then u will understand what is going on. For your info his coach has set back his training program to 2008 levels. His coach strategy was to ease Bolt back from injury. Don't act surprise when u see bolt running faster next yr because he is injury free. Don't be surprise if he blaze a 9.68 or so @ the jamaican trials next june and then blast the world record to 9.48-9.52 (if the conditions are right and he is injury free) in London. You gonna say the Freak has return when u see him next yr. Get this, Bolt runs according to his competition, so the jamaican trials will demand a very fast time to win and Bolt is not gonna let Blake beat him in either sprints.

Comment

Originally posted by chuku69
                Don't be surprise if he blaze a 9.68 or so @ the jamaican trials next june and then blast the world record to 9.48-9.52
                I refuse to be surprised by him again, so yes, I am trying to wrap my brain around those possibilities. Before 2008, I was not cognitively capable of those sorts of ideations.

Comment

Don't believe the hype.

Comment

I think that Yohan Blake has shown enough to shape a major threat to Usain Bolt in London, as should be Tyson Gay if he can get there in one piece.

Blake ran 9.82 secs in still conditions twice, the readings at 0.0 and 0.1m/secs, while his winning 9.92 in Daegu was into a -1.4m/sec headwind. He's definitely set to jump into the 9.7s with only a bit of tailwind on his back and he's on an upturn and will have another winter behind him.

I really hope that Gay is going to enjoy a first injury-free season since 2007, he was up to something spectacular that we didn't get to see in 2011 - but fingers crossed, he's going to deliver next year.

Comment

As an outsider looking in I get this impression.......

Bolt is lazy, Blake is not. With Blake there Bolt now has to keep up and he will (if healthy). Blake being in the same camp the best thing that could happen to Bolt.

I do see Blake a legit threat in the 100 right now, not in the 200m after rounds.

Comment

Leighton Levy of the Jamaica Gleaner begs to differ....

"Remember now that at his best, Bolt is a 9.58/19.9 sprinter, the 19.19 run after seven rounds of competition. He was also just shy of 23 years old. Note also that Bolt at 25 is nearing his physical prime. It is a time when even if he wasnt an athlete his body would be nearing it’s peak in terms of strength levels. Going into London when he will be a month or so shy of his 26th birthday, Bolt’s natural strength levels will be augmented by his gym and endurance work so once he remains healthy and trains like he is supposed to, he should be faster than ever before. That itself is a scary thought even for Blake, whose 19.26 was a one-off race run on fresh legs and on an abundance of confidence coming off a successful world championships and back to back runs that resulted in the seventh fastest time in history (even adjusted for wind and altitude). By comparison Blake is only just learning the challenges of top-level competition, he also has mechanical adjustments that he will be working on this off season; adjustments that he will still be getting used to once the Olympics roll around next summer. Knowing Mills, Blake is going to do serious damage in 2012 and I am sure that Gay and Powell will have their work cut out if they plan to keep him behind them, but as far as Bolt is concerned that may not be the case. His injuries (hamstrings and toe) that interrupted his training last season are now behind him. If ever he was getting bored Blake, Dix and LeMaitre as well as a returning Tyson Gay will surely get him excited once more as contrary to what Greene believes, Bolt relishes a challenge."

http://gleanerblogs.com/sports/?p=997
                        My heart is still in the Caribbean....

Comment

However, Shivfan, the above estimation draws heavily on statistics and statistics can be very relevant and not apply in many cases. Biological age matters more than chronological age and can differ wide from athlete to athlete.

Bolt has been performing at top level since very much his 17, setting 19.93 secs over 200m in 2004, which means that his system may have already reached its physical prime and far more debted racing- and training-wise by his 22 than Blake's is right now. Which, in turn, may account for his (Bolt) continual injury problems and fragility over the last two years.

If he can go on a lengthy injury-free run and build on, Tyson Gay can definitely be up there with them and he's got the strongest second 50m in the world and mentality of steel - if they're neck-and-neck at 60m he's definitely not the one to break.

Asafa Powell, though very talented, hasn't banished his own 'deamons' yet, performing when it matters that is, and I'm not convinced he'll ever do...

Comment

Cripes, another 7 months of OTT discussions to come about two outstanding 100m guys, but I am betting that, as so often, the unexpected happens ,just like Berlin and 9.58/19.19.

How about,one of them is injured or recovering and is not absolutely at top form ,or Tyson/Safa go bananas and we cannot believe it, and, finally, the conditions aredamp August weather with a headwind or illegal tail wind and the idea of a below 9.58 is regarded afterwards as an unlikely exaggeration; one of the above is what I would put money on.

Comment

Originally posted by shivfan
                              Leighton Levy of the Jamaica Gleaner begs to differ....

"Remember now that at his best, Bolt is a 9.58/19.9 sprinter, the 19.19 run after seven rounds of competition. "

http://gleanerblogs.com/sports/?p=997
                              Plenty or sprint wr's have been set in multi-round competitions. They are tough if you have to go all out to make to the next one but if you're in wr shape it's not a challenge, e.g.Bolt didn't break 20s to reach the final in Berlin.

Comment

Working...
                              X