Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Blake will beat Bolt in London...

I've already broken that down for you, Ref, and I'm not going over the same stuff again. As I've said, 0.02 secs between 60-80m is effectively the same speed - Gay recovering from a loss of momentum between 40-55 which lends more credit to it - and the last 0.03 secs (80-100m) was down to Gay's letting up over the last four strides. If he had run through the line, he would have at least run as fast as Bolt in this section and around 9.68, maybe 9.67 secs, overall.

You wanna stick to some mere statistics because you can comprehend nothing else as it seems? Fine with me, as with Mr Preston who moves in the same wavelength as you.

Comment

Gay? How does Gay come into this? His time is done....
      :wink:
      Why the need to compare Carl Lewis with Bolt? They are both great athletes, at different times. Surely, we can enjoy what both have achieved, without feeling the need to race them against each other. One dominated the decade from the mid-1980s to the mid-1990s, while the other is dominating the decade from the mid-noughties to the mid-teens, or whatever they're calling these decades....

Lewis won nine Olympic golds and one Olympic silver, and won eight WC golds, one WC silver, and one WC bronze. So far, Bolt has won three Olympic golds, five WC golds, and two WC silvers. Obviously, he's got more to win, especially over the next two years.
      My heart is still in the Caribbean....

Comment

Originally posted by preston
        Lsabre/dunedine always makes these incredibly baseless arguments and defends them to the end with illogic. I've had enough of it and have put him on my foe list. With a little luck, I will never have to read another one of his posts as long as no one "quotes" him.
        Thanks, preston - wasn't aware of that feature (essentially an "ignore"); but I've added lightsabre now.
        It's the defending-the-indefensible that's annoying, rather than the baselessness of the original arguments. The current thread is just about the worst I've seen from him, including his days of notoriety on the AW boards. He seems to be quite happy saying that someone is slower by 0.02s; but at the same time saying they're just as fast. When people reach that level it's best to move on - hence the foe-ing!

Comment

Actually, let me tell you something more about that 0.02 secs between 60-80m, because you can't even make out much of the mere statistics you're hanging so desperately on.

That differential is only down to the fact that Bolt has got a better momentum at 60m, in full flying over the previous 20m, compared to Gay who is regaining momentum after coming off balance between 40 to 55m.

Yet, Bolt's gain of 0.06 in the previous 20m is down by two thirds to 0.02 secs. Which means, despite the apparent 0.02 in his favour over the fourth 20-meter, that Gay is actually starting gaining on him during this segment. That's the only way that this translates.

But you can't help but come out much of a muchness all the time pal...

Comment

Originally posted by jjimbojames
            Originally posted by dunedine
            Biological age matters more than chronological age and can differ wide from athlete to athlete. Bolt has been performing at top level since very much his 17, setting 19.93 secs over 200m in 2004, which means that his system may have already reached its physical prime and far more debted racing- and training-wise by his 22 than Blake's is right now. Which, in turn, may account for his (Bolt) continual injury problems and fragility over the last two years.
            Gay has been performing at a good level since 2004 also (10.06/20.07) and is nearing 30. In line with your thinking above, and in the context of how hard it's going to be just to get through the US Trials next year, it's going to be a tough ask for Tyson. One-off races, he'll be right up there, but having had to peak for the OTs and then go again in London - I'm not so sure his body can handle too much more. I certainly don't expect him to go for more than one individual title
            I agree....

If anyone's arguing that Bolt will be below his best because of the mileage he's clocked, then the same is true of Gay, who is even older.

dunedine can quote all the graphs and stats he wants - the main threat to Bolt in the future will not come from older sprinters such as Gay, but from younger sprinters such as Blake....
            My heart is still in the Caribbean....

Comment

Actually, Shivfan, I'm not the one who goes so much about stats over here if you haven't noticed. Further, Gay is as much of a main threat to Bolt as Blake is, it's a matter of tweaking his training regime properly so that he can more likely evade the same pitfalls. He needs to clear up whatever injury issues before he moves on to the next stage and I think he has got that on board now.

His age is a relative parameter because he is more of a late developer and actually Bolt was faster (19.93) the first season he started rising on the global scene, and mind you that Bolt also ran 20.13 the previous season. Further, Gay has had a few 'half-seasons' due to injuries.

Therefore, Bolt's performance age at top level stretches longer despite the younger of his age. Now, whether he has reached or will reach his prime remains to be seen and the same goes for Gay as well.

Comment

Originally posted by dunedine
                As for Bolt's scoliosis, what I pointed out was that if it affected him in certain ways over the last two years it would have affected him the same way beforehand, which it didn't. That is a permanent situation, unless sorted out to a degree, and not like pulling a hamstring which can heal up and happen again sometime.
                The degree of spine curvature can and will change for the worse and/ or better... with no cause/ effect relationship known to science. Scoliosis is a crap shoot to predict. My family has been through the ringer with scoliosis.

Comment

By the way, forgot to tell you Merry Christmas Shivfan!

Comment

Bolt obviously back in serious training mode...

http://www.tmz.com/2011/12/30/usain-bol ... v2eM9TeBfY
                    There are no strings on me

Comment

I believe both will improve their career bests for both the 100m and 200m in 2012.

Comment

Working...
                      X