Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could Kaki break the 1000m world record?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could Kaki break the 1000m world record?

Just what it says. Could Abubaker Kaki break Ngeny's 2:11:96 1000m WR?

Re: Could Kaki break the 1000m world record?

Originally posted by Deerfoot
    Just what it says. Could Abubaker Kaki break Ngeny's 2:11:96 1000m WR?
    With such a big improvement over 1500m like the one he had last summer I wouldn't bet either with or against him. He has the speed of a 400/800 metres runner and the endurance of a 1500 one, so, maybe. However, I would like to see Rudisha trying to take down the one belonging to Jonny Gray (600m).

For the ones who haven't heard about it yet, polish rising 800 metres star Adam Kszczot (I hope I haven't mispelled something writing this surname) will have a go at the indoor one at Russian Winter.

Comment

I don't know if Rudisha's rabbit is fast enough to take down Gray's record.

Comment

Originally posted by JumboElliott
        I don't know if Rudisha's rabbit is fast enough to take down Gray's record.
        Rudisha. 45.50 at 400 meters .
        http://atletaandres.blogspot.com/

Comment

How cool would it be to have a big invitational meet with the best 400 and 800 guys going after the 600 record and then in the next meet the 800 and 1500 guys going after 1000! You wouldn't need rabbits as the shorter distance guys would know they'd have to get out!

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
            How cool would it be to have a big invitational meet with the best 400 and 800 guys going after the 600 record and then in the next meet the 800 and 1500 guys going after 1000! You wouldn't need rabbits as the shorter distance guys would know they'd have to get out!
            Good idea, marlow -- I would really enjoy seeing both attempts in the same meet.

Comment

Originally posted by Master Po
              Good idea, marlow -- I would really enjoy seeing both attempts in the same meet.
              Yikes, those poor 800 guys would get mighty tired going for TWO WRs in one meet!

Comment

He'll need to be a better athlete than Coe was in 1981 to do it. Coe was a 1:41 / 3:31 guy that year (although he probably could have gone sub-3:30). Kaki's 800 pb has only improved by 4/10ths since 2008 and there may be little room for improvement. Let's see how he progresses as a 1500 runner. Monaco where he ran 3:31 is a fast track and has thrown up some times recently that athletes have not got near subsequently.

My gut feel at this stage is that he's never going to be an athlete quite of the calibre of Ngeny, Coe or Cram (who's 2:12.88 was run in a gale in Gateshead). I suspect he lacks the speed of Coe and the strength of Ngeny and Cram. 2:12.5 at best.

Comment

Could Abubaker Kaki break Ngeny's 2:11:96 1000m WR?
                  I doubt it. He's had a couple of serious attempts at it and has barely got within 2 secs. He is either going to have to up his speed to the 1:41 range while maintaining his 3:31 1500 ability or else keep 1:43 flat 800 form and improve his endurance to something like 3:28. I don't see either scenarios materializing.

Comment

John G wrote:
                    He'll need to be a better athlete than Coe was in 1981 to do it. Coe was a 1:41 / 3:31 guy that year (although he probably could have gone sub-3:30). Kaki's 800 pb has only improved by 4/10ths since 2008 and there may be little room for improvement. Let's see how he progresses as a 1500 runner. Monaco where he ran 3:31 is a fast track and has thrown up some times recently that athletes have not got near subsequently.

My gut feel at this stage is that he's never going to be an athlete quite of the calibre of Ngeny, Coe or Cram (who's 2:12.88 was run in a gale in Gateshead). I suspect he lacks the speed of Coe and the strength of Ngeny and Cram. 2:12.5 at best.
                    I concur. Coe was certainly capable of 3:29 at least in 81 when you consider his 3:31 was solo and with a 52 opening 400m. He actually set the 1000m WR 4 days after that 1500. If he hadn't the experience of that suicidal 1500 in his legs, the 1000m would probably have been faster.

Kaki isn't as fast as Coe was in 81 and his endurance isn't as good either.

Comment

not if this turns out ugly he won't

http://gulfnews.com/sport/athletics/kak ... t_in_Japan

Comment

Seb Coe.

Lap 400. 51.14
                        Lap 800. 1:44.56..!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvMxL3ia8TM
                        http://atletaandres.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                          not if this turns out ugly he won't

http://gulfnews.com/sport/athletics/kak ... t_in_Japan
                          Sure doesn't look good if you pull out of a meet because you are supposed to take a drug test and don't want to.

Comment

Note that it said it was related to Daegu, leading me to posit two possibilities.

1. The story is slightly confused and he's not actually there for a test in the sense of giving anything; it's a test as in the confirmation test on a B sample and he has the right to be there w/ his lawyers.

2. His blood profile was hinky enough in Daegu that they want to compare how it looks now.

Sorry,I can't think of any good-scenario possibilities. If it's just a random bit of testing, they'll come to you (and not give you this kind of warning).

Comment

If it is anything to go by, the three fastest ever over 1000m (Ngeny-Coe-Cram) were all sub 3:30 runners over 1500m - and Ngeny wasn't that particularly fast over 800 as far as his PB is concerned at least. So I wonder whether 1500m faculty could be weighing even more despite the event looking closer to the 800m.

Comment

Working...
                              X