• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bowerman Winners

Originally posted by jazzcyclist
    Originally posted by gh
    Based on the latest release from the USTFCCCA, Reid didn't make the cut. The three finalists are Duncan, Beard and Sutej.
    That's because Reid didn't make it as far as "the electorate." If she were one of the three, I still say she'd probably win.
    Who determines who makes it to the electorate and why do you think they eliminated Reid?
    To answer your first question with a hoary old line: I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you. :mrgreen:

I would guess the screening panel eliminated Reid for two primary reasons.

1. They're hung up on marks, so Šutej's setting of CRs indoors and out counted a ton. (on my personal scale I couldn't vote for anybody who didn't win an NCAA outdoor title)

2. They didn't actually see Reid run in Des Moines and see how she handled two pretty good fields in a first-ever double.

(Having said that, the "being there" problem is an important one. I sometimes think that the only people who should vote on any things like this--at any level--should uniformly have seen all or none of the people/performances in question: in-person viewings can really skew your opinion. As it does mine in the Reid case.)

Re: ¶NCAA w200—Kimberlyn Duncan (LSU) 22.24 (WL)

TIZ ALL...

Beard, a graduate of Texas A&M, had a banner 2011 season capped by NCAA indoor and outdoor titles in the 400 meters. Beard also anchored her team’s 4×400 meter relays to two national championships, becoming only the third woman ever to win indoor and outdoor Division I titles in the 400 meters and 4×400 meter relay in the same season. Her 4×400 relay split of 49.13 seconds was the fastest ever recorded in NCAA meet history.

Comment

Originally posted by 26mi235
      On the other hand, 2nd was 22.34 while the next best relay leg was about 51; so from the competition end of things that 49 WON the meet, which the 22 did not.
      This bit of trivia is about as relevant to the discussion as what color spikes the runners were wearing, and a man with your math background knows exactly what I'm talking about. Furthermore, you're confusing the men's race with the women's race. The Texas A&M had to win the race to win the meet, but their women didn't. So even if the team title was relevant to the discussion, which it isn't (lest Makusha be denied the men's award since FSU didn't win the meet), 49.13r did not win the meet. Come on 26. Is that the best you got?
      Kimberlyn Duncan was deserving as well, but I'm really happy to see Jessica Beard win the Bowerman... And although as jazzy insisted her 49.13 or 49.14 split didn't win the NCAA outdoor meet, her anchor leg that came from behind to pass Oregon DID win the meet... Had Jessica run a somewhat less spectacular 51.01 split, which I think still would have been the second fastest split in the final, A&M finishes behind Oregon in the race, and the Ducks would have been the team champions instead of the Aggies... And even with an incredible 49.30, she wouldn't have won the NCAA 4x4 Championship for her teammates, as she wouldn't have passed Auburn's Kai Selvon... Anyway, huge props to Jessica for winning the award and for an outstanding collegiate career.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
        low-altitude meet record
        How about low-altitude collegiate record and #3 of all-times behind only Dawn Sowell. If Duncan doesn't win the Bowerman Award, it will be the biggest injustice since Jim Brown didn't win the Heisman Trophy.
        She was robbed!
        :x

LSU! LSU! LSU!

Comment

Would you rather she had that or that LSU beats Alabama for the second time this season?

Of course, you can want both but that was not the question.

Comment

Sheila Reid deserved it over both of them. It's a crime that she wasn't even a finalist.

Comment

Originally posted by 26mi235
              Would you rather she had that or that LSU beats Alabama for the second time this season?

Of course, you can want both but that was not the question.

Kim Duncan can work on the next Bowerman. J Beard deserved the award.

Comment

Originally posted by JumboElliott
                Sheila Reid deserved it over both of them. It's a crime that she wasn't even a finalist.

You are joking, right? What Track & Field NCAA Championship that S Reid help her team win?
                How could any of those ladies win the Bowerman over Beard?

Comment

She anchored the distance medley relay national championship and finished second in the 3000m indoors, and then won 1500 and 5000m at the outdoor championships. That double had never been accomplished before.

Given that this is an individual award, the result of the team is highly irrelevant, so please make a counterargument.

Comment

She anchored the distance medley relay national championship and finished second in the 3000m indoors, and then won 1500 and 5000m at the outdoor championships. That double had never been accomplished before.

Given that this is an individual award, the result of the team is highly irrelevant, so please make a counterargument.
                    I am with you Jumbo. Jessica Beard was great, but to me, Sheila Reid deserved it. She was the best! This is not a team award, it is supposed to be awarded to the top athlete, not top athlete of top team. A never done before double to me is more impressive than an individual championship and a relay win (as you are only 25% of the relay team). If Beard had won the 200, I probably might feel different.

Also, what about the competition? Was it stiffer in the 400 this year, or in the 1,500; 3,000 and 5,000? I just wonder if the fact that Reid is a Canadian had anything to do with this? Do you think if it was Hasay winning that double that things are different? Not necessarily winning it but at least being in line for winning it?

Comment

Bowerman Winners

Couldn't agree more with Makusha and Beard selections. Makusha had one of the greatest individual meets ever at NCAA and while Beard wasn't quite as stunning as Makusha, I'm glad her wonderful collegiate career was recognized.

Comment

Originally posted by odelltrclan

I am with you Jumbo. Jessica Beard was great. To me, Sheila Reid deserved it, she was the best. This is not a team award, it is supposed to be awarded to the top athlete, not top athlete of top team. A never done before double to me is more impressive than a relay leg as you are only 25% of the relay team.

Also, what about the competition? Was it stiffer in the 400 this year, or in the 1,500 an 5,000 and 3,000? I just wonder if the fact that Reid is a Canadian had anything to do with this? Do you think if it was Hasay winning that double that things are different?
                        I don't know if you can pin it on Sheila being Canadian because Tina Šutej definitely isn't American. The problem is that voters obviously placed a higher emphasis on personal bests than they did on winning championships.

To answer your question though, if Hasay had won just one of the two, 1500 or 5000, she would have probably won. I think Sheila was hurt by a few things

1) She's a distance runner.
                        2) She's from a small school that had only one other female scorer in Des Moines.
                        3) She's from Canada (less of a factor than the others as I noted earlier).
                        4) She wasn't setting records.

None of those should matter. The fact that she completed a never before won double and did so in scintillating fashion is what should really matter.

Comment

4) She wasn't setting records.

None of those should matter. The fact that she completed a never before won double and did so in scintillating fashion is what should really matter.
                          Not to mention the fact that there are fewer opportunities for records in the distances. You would likely need to plan a peak for a race where you can have a rabbit, which very well could mess up being in peak form for conference championships and NCAA's. Championship races are tactical and rarely would you find an accomplice to sacrifice themselves for you to achieve a fast time.

Comment

Originally posted by odelltrclan
                            Not to mention the fact that there are fewer opportunities for records in the distances. You would likely need to plan a peak for a race where you can have a rabbit, which very well could mess up being in peak form for conference championships and NCAA's.
                            I think Jenny Barringer thrashing most of the women's distance records a few years ago destroys this argument.

Comment

Re: Bowerman Winners

Originally posted by bruce3404
                              and while Beard wasn't quite as stunning as Makusha, I'm glad her wonderful collegiate career was recognized.
                              Lifetime achievement award? :?

Comment

Working...
                              X