Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's wrong with track and field!

How many of you would want to watch a lady softball game or a lady basketball game prior to the real deal that being a major league game or an NBA game, I wouldn't!

I don't really care to watch 10.95 100's prior to 9.95 100's in other words I'm not a fan of female track but as ya know we are stuck with it. I would love to just watch the best out there which the women are not. There are a ton of high school boys who would smoke Marion Jones.

Give the ladies their own meet.

Re: What's wrong with track and field!

Gawd, this message doesn't even merit a reply, but I know it will get 10 million. Oh well, let me be the first: This is the single stupidest post I have yet seen on this board. I'll stick my neck out and guess that the overwhelming majority of us love women's track. (I love women's basketball and other women's sports, as well.) If you don't like the women's events, go to the concession stand and get yourself some nachos. I'm not gonna let anyone deprive me of the chance to watch all the magnificent ladies out there, especially my Lady Longhorns at the U. of Texas.
    "Run fast and keep turning left."

Comment

I think it actually ties for first place as the most stupid post. Equal with "Bad things and good things" on the other board, which I actually printed out to reply to, but decided not to waste my time.

Comment

sounds like some one is unhappy with annika...

sure there are tons hs who can beat marion now...

she's pregnant...

but there's less than 1% of hs 100 meter runners who could really beat her...

the real story is about the competition, the struggle to excel, and gender plays no part in it...

surely Radcliffe's 2:15 speaks for itself...

how many american men approach than standard..

a dozen??

oh well...the world is filled with all sorts

Comment

If times make a meet more exciting than the competition, the California high school championships wouldn't sell out every year. Likewise, the NCAA would also be a "substandard" meet.

I do agree that meets are too long, but that has as much to do with poor management as men & women together. The Ohio high school finals, boys and girls together, are done in about 2 hours and 15 minutes, the perfect amount of time for a sporting event.

Comment

Another flame..its always about blacks,women,gays with Brutal..a total flame...just do us a favor...ban him now

Comment

Wild guess - Brutal and OldMan are one and the same. If not, they should be - same sort of input.

Comment

Gee, this isn't exactly what I had in mind when I made a plea for more women's material awhile back!

Comment

LOL @ Julie.

Brutal you can't be serious. It's not about the times, it's about the compitetion. I find the most boring races are what I would call runaways, where one person, male or female, just smokes the field.

Comment

Julie...at least you can see the rest of us aren't misogynists and stood up for the ladies!

Comment

Anyone here old enough to remember how boring track meets were when it was only us guys out there? We even bored ourselves. No one who was a competitor, coach or spectator would want to return to the bad old days of all-male track and field. Ugh! BRUTAL really is brutally stupid.

Comment

The CA HS champs sell out every year because the parents of the kids show up. Add the fans and parents together, not enough seats. But set up a big invitational, international stars, now you're talking problems in filling the stands. People have been driven away by bad presentation, lack of participation, and 'stars' that most people can't relate to - read 'arrogant' sprinters that have no conception of how poorly their act plays in Peoria, no matter how much the media plays it up. There is a lot more for potential competitors - the kids - to do these days. Look at Britain. The numbers of kids getting into the sport were dropping off by the mid 80's, despite the hey day of Coe, Ovett, Cram and Elliot. What did they have for the national jr. XC champs this year in GB, less than 100 runners? It used to be close to 1,000 up until around 1980 or so. The stands in Europe don't fill like they once did. Time to stop warbling about what's wrong, and make suggestions so that we are talking about what could be right with our favorite sport.

Comment

Brutal's remarks aren't necessarily stupid. Noone has offered an explanation why all the most popular sports are male only. Also, his critics contradict themselves when they say it's about competition and then cite women, like Radcliffe, who dominate in runaways. High performance is important.

Comment

Sorry, Brutal's remarks ARE stupid. Competitive track meets (at all levels) with both genders ADD to the fan base and encourage youth interest in the sport. I agree that there are a world of ways to improve the public presentation of running sports and field events,and more innovation is desparately needed. But retreating to the stone ages of gender separation is counter productive.

One example was staged here in Santa Barbara, CA, until our national economic woes caused the event to run out of sponsorship funds. World class through high school vaulters of both sexes competed on run-ways and pits built over the beach sand in a two day event. It put enthusiastic crowds into up close/personal contact with athletes and generated great interest from track buffs, local kids and casual beach tourists. It was a lot more fun than an old male only track meet. And the star of the show was a certain Ms. Dragila.

I say that what is wrong with track and field has a lot more to do with cranky throw-backs like Brutal than with female competitors!

Comment

>Noone has offered an explanation why all the
                              >most popular sports are male only.

Well, since you asked . . . it's still a sexist society in America, even though it's less so than in the past. Outside our borders it's usually worse, too. Women do a disproportionate amount of domestic work (I will supply documentation upon request) which leaves them with a lot less time to sit on the couch, drink beer, and watch sports.

Sports history reveals that antifeminists who argued that women should not participate in sports were largely concerned with gender roles and the power balance involved in them. One aspect of athletics is learning to compete in a competitive capitalist society, and the white males of yesteryear did not want women (or African-Americans) to learn those lessons (and many still don't want them to now).

I wouldn't necissarily say that ALL the most popular sports are male-only. Horse racing and auto racing are pretty popular, and they are overwhelmingly but not exclusively male (and that's usually a product of access rather than ability). You could argue that women's tennis is more popular right now than men's tennis.

And what's the headline on everyone's sports section this morning?

Comment

Working...
                              X