Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DO YOU HAVE THIS FORUM BOOKMARKED?

As you may have noticed, our front page is currently unavailable.This is a glitc (totally unrelated to our hack-attack) which popped up last night (Thursday). Our boffins are optimistic we'll have solved it at some point early today. If not, we apologize. For now at least, we're also optimistic that the forums here will stay in play.

And if you're not reading this during the downtime because you normally access the forums through the front page, note that they run on separate modules, so if need be you can bookmark here and come on in directly. (the advertising department will hate my saying that, because it is much to the company's benefit if you stop at the front page on the way in, so we'd love it if you do that too!)

Re: DO YOU HAVE THIS FORUM BOOKMARKED?

Originally posted by gh
    (the advertising department will hate my saying that, because it is much to the company's benefit if you stop at the front page on the way in, so we'd love it if you do that too!)
    Ahh! Kind of the reverse of being forced to exit the Seaworld shows through the gift shops!

Comment

front page is back up. phew. (as is a whole new collection of Headlines)

Comment

Originally posted by gh
        front page is back up. phew. (as is a whole new collection of Headlines)
        One of them hits a new low point for clueless (and insulting) journalism:

London will be protected by a consignment of 13,500 military personnel during the Olympic Games next year ….our current troop deployment in Afghanistan, where there are about 9500 British troops. That’s an awful lot of troops actually. More troops than it takes top go to war and lay waste to a near medieval nation.
        But there you have it, the Olympics, now officially worse than war.

Comment

Originally posted by DrJay
          Originally posted by gh
          (the advertising department will hate my saying that, because it is much to the company's benefit if you stop at the front page on the way in, so we'd love it if you do that too!)
          Ahh! Kind of the reverse of being forced to exit the Seaworld shows through the gift shops!
          It's not just SeaWorld. Many museums all over the world do that--you can't get out without going through the gift shop. One of the most commercial I've ever seen is the Vatican. You have to pass many souvenir counters before you can get to the Sistine Chapel. IIRC, they get you on the way in and on the way out as well.

Comment

yes, when we toured the Vatican, the bus parked outside this door and the driver said "this way" which took you through a gift shot, and to get back to the bus, you had to go through again.

Combine that with 127,000 slide/coin/artifacts dealers in the plaza outside the Sistine Chapel and I knew what Jesus would do if he were there.

(I'm may be a practicing atheist, but the corruption of the Christian ideal was most off-putting)

Comment

The guys in the area imediately surrounding the Vatican are just street vendors peddling their wares, in this case arguably exploiting religious sentiment. But the profits from the sale of stuff that's being sold within the Vatican's walls are presumably going to the Church itself. I don't find that off-putting, even if the revenue from tourists exceeds what it costs to maintain the Vatican.

Comment

I guess I was just distressed because I couldn't find anybody selling indulgences!

Comment

Working...
                X