Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Carmelita Jeter starts her day

From a recent interview:

What media site or blog starts your day?

I visit http://www.Trackandfieldnews.com website so I can know what’s going on in the track world
    http://rollingout.com/sports/sports-new ... man-alive/

What a wise woman!

Re: How Carmelita Jeter starts her day

[now that I have her attention . . . 8-) ]

Dear Carmelita,

Please run a 10.48 in the London final so what can put to rest the WR controversy.
    Thank you.

A loyal fan,
    Marlow

Comment

If she wants to know what's going on in the track world, all she has to do is read the front page headline section. And I suspect that's all she does do. No need to bother with the blathering of wackos on the Message Boards.

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman
        blathering of wackos on the Message Boards.
        Oh . . . dang! :wink:

Comment

Waayyy off topic, but I just watched the video of Evelyn Ashford winning the Zurich 100 in 1984 that was linked in the SFH thread. Ashford looks positively waif-like next to Jeter! I have come to expect that world class sprinters will all look like they spend three hours in the weight room every day. Ashford somehow managed to be light, fast, and able to hold her top speed longer than her competition...without becoming super-muscular.

Comment

Carl Lewis was the same way. Plus he could jump further.

Comment

Originally posted by pickle47
              Waayyy off topic, but I just watched the video of Evelyn Ashford winning the Zurich 100 in 1984 that was linked in the SFH thread. Ashford looks positively waif-like next to Jeter! I have come to expect that world class sprinters will all look like they spend three hours in the weight room every day. Ashford somehow managed to be light, fast, and able to hold her top speed longer than her competition...without becoming super-muscular.

allyson felix is another top woman sprinter that looks like small and frail like she has never done a weight workout, i am sure she has though. also muna lee.

Comment

Originally posted by pickle47
                Ashford looks positively waif-like next to Jeter! I have come to expect that world class sprinters will all look like they spend three hours in the weight room every day. Ashford somehow managed to be light, fast, and able to hold her top speed longer than her competition...without becoming super-muscular.
                I wasn't aware Jeter was in that 84 race to be compared to Ashford? :twisted:

I thought in Daegu, at the start of the women's 100m, Jeter didn't look nearly as big and muscular as people make out she is. In a shot by herself she looks very big, but when she's actually standing next to other women she isnt massively bigger, she's just very conditioned. Maybe this year she trimmed down. Either way, it's getting that balance between muscle, strength and power that's the key and can sometimes be difficult.

I dont beleive there's a prescribed definition of how a sprinter should look either. Ashford, Jeter, Ottey, Perec, Jackson, Krabbe, Privalova, VCB...do any of those women have the same physiques? They're all different and it really proves there's a broad spectrum of shapes; top heavy, bottom heavy, waif-like, muscular, tall, small, broad shouldered, narrow shouldered etc etc. It's no more fascinating that Ashford was great at that height and weight than it is that Grace Jackson was either.

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriella
                  I dont beleive there's a prescribed definition of how a sprinter should look either. Ashford, Jeter, Ottey, Perec, Jackson, Krabbe, Privalova, VCB...do any of those women have the same physiques? They're all different and it really proves there's a broad spectrum of shapes; top heavy, bottom heavy, waif-like, muscular, tall, small, broad shouldered, narrow shouldered etc etc. It's no more fascinating that Ashford was great at that height and weight than it is that Grace Jackson was either.
                  Agreed.

Comment

Jeter had slimmed down a lot by the time of the Worlds - I saw TV coverage of an indoor meeting earlier in the season and she was about as bulky as any female sprinter I've seen

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
                      [now that I have her attention . . . 8-) ]

Dear Carmelita,

Please run a 10.48 in the London final so what can put to rest the WR controversy.
                      Thank you.

A loyal fan,
                      Marlow
                      I'd rather she run 10.60 and get the debate steaming to a fever-pitch on the functionality of the wind gauge during Flo's 10.49 heat and Echols' 10.83 heat. Maybe the IAAF will seriously consider running the video through some modern equipment to determine, once and for all, if both of those heats were indeed wind-aided. In which case, Flo's 10.70 semi and 10.61 final will retroactively become WRs, the 10.61 of which I believe only Carmelita (her mid-race acceleration) and Shelly (her fast start, if she doesn't get caught sleeping) may be capable of breaking.

Comment

That would put the IAAF in the uncomfortable position of telling a major sponsor, "we think you lied when you told us your equipment was good."

And the chances of that are.....

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                          That would put the IAAF in the uncomfortable position of telling a major sponsor, "we think you lied when you told us your equipment was good."
                          Not at all. It would simply be an acknowledgement that this particular piece of equipment is no longer considered reliable. The IAAF has already done that, in effect, by prohibiting its use in major international competition and for world records.

But going back to CookyMonzta's point, I don't know how any video analysis of those races could determine what the wind was.

Comment

... It would simply be an acknowledgement that this particular piece of equipment is no longer considered reliable. The IAAF has already done that, in effect, by prohibiting its use in major international competition and for world records. ...
                            I wasn't aware such was the case: if so, then the IAAF should be taking the initiative to rectify such an obvious mistake.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                              ... It would simply be an acknowledgement that this particular piece of equipment is no longer considered reliable. The IAAF has already done that, in effect, by prohibiting its use in major international competition and for world records. ...
                              I wasn't aware such was the case: if so, then the IAAF should be taking the initiative to rectify such an obvious mistake.
                              But wouldn't they then have to annul her 200 record as well, and Mike Powell's LJ record too, and maybe both triple jump records?

Comment

Working...
                              X