X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Where is the next Bayi?

Originally posted by TN1965
    Originally posted by jeremyp
    A bold front runner wins when he's an unknown. Once he does it he's a sitting duck in major races and championships. Bayi's early laps were amazing; amazing in the sense that he finished still strong. Thn we had El-G who pushed hard the last 700. Frankly I think the latter strategy has the runner in more control.
    When Hicham did that in Athens, it looked brilliant. When Webb did the same next year, it looked foolish. It all depends on the end result...
    It depends on whether you have what it takes to pull it off. Webb went out stupidly fast. Hicham was the master of the steady gear shift. Yet in reality Webb never would have been able to physically do a Hicham. Or psychologically either.

Comment

Originally posted by TN1965
      Originally posted by jeremyp
      A bold front runner wins when he's an unknown. Once he does it he's a sitting duck in major races and championships. Bayi's early laps were amazing; amazing in the sense that he finished still strong. Thn we had El-G who pushed hard the last 700. Frankly I think the latter strategy has the runner in more control.
      When Hicham did that in Athens, it looked brilliant. When Webb did the same next year, it looked foolish. It all depends on the end result...
      It depends on whether you have what it takes to pull it off. Webb went out stupidly fast. Hicham was the master of the steady gear shift. Yet in reality Webb never would have been able to physically do a Hicham. Or psychologically either.

Comment

Originally posted by Deerfoot
        I don't know if this is relevant, but a few recent championship 800m races have been won by front running, including Rudisha's world championship victory last year.
        Apples and Pears. Numerous great 800 runners have done it. Coe, Kipketer, as well. There's so much more distance to hold on to in a 1500, and it has to require not just the physical attributes but incredible psychological discipline.

Comment

Three very great guys and injuries that compromised their prime..

Bayi - malaria
          Walker - calf sheath constriction (same as moorcroft)
          Dixon - wine, women and song and ...

Going into March of Olympic year 1976 we have ....
          http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/ ... /index.htm

They talked of their training, of their afflictions. Walker's tendons are balanced by Bayi's malaria, which had sent him sweating and voiceless to bed in Africa 10 days earlier. Bayi's coach for this trip, a gracious man named Erasto Zambi, formally apologized to Walker for the cancellation of the trip to New Zealand. "We know you have refused invitations to race in South Africa. We understand you are just one individual, a good man. I am sorry we couldn't go, but it is our stand. We couldn't."

"I know," said Walker softly.
          Then Walker, running his last race in New Zealand before the American rendezvous, a splendid 3:35.6 for 1,500 meters, a race which in better conditions would have approached Bayi's record of 3:32.2, strained already sore Achilles' tendons.
          Before dinner I tried to take a run. It lasted seven minutes. The leg was hurting." The injury, a chronic one, strained two weeks earlier, is an unusual tendinitis deep in Dixon's left shin. "I've just been resting it, taking a holiday really. It's been a chance to take Debbie away. I haven't prepared. I'll just be running on my strength, I guess."
          Of course Ryan, Coe, Ovett, Cram, etc had their share of injuries.
          It would seem that El G was the rare ultra-talented miler to avoid serious injury.

Comment

Working...
          X