Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T&FN announces Athletes Of The Year

finally, somebody who got it right! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Rudisha & Cheryuiyot: Kenyans win both for first time ever.

More details in releases on front page.

(disclaimer: "we" didn't actually get it right. Neither of those was my No. 1 choice)

Re: T&FN announces Athletes Of The Year

Originally posted by gh

(disclaimer: "we" didn't actually get it right. Neither of those was my No. 1 choice)
    Congrats some wise people obviously voted in your poll
    i deserve extra credit

Comment

Originally posted by gh

Who did you vote for Gaz?

Comment

Originally posted by mump boy
        Originally posted by gh

Congrats some wise people obviously voted in your poll
        agree w mump, especially regarding Cheruiyot. (Great photo of her in eTN, too.)

Comment

I agree for the most part with a few exceptions:
          - Valerie Adams got votes as low as 8th on some ballots. Give me a break. She could have arguably finished 1st.
          - Liu Xiang ranks 4th and Robles 1st?
          - Jenn Suhr first in PV?
          - Storl should be higher than Hoffa, maybe Cantwell. Armstrong is still a good #1 choice there.

Comment

Originally posted by Flumpy
            Originally posted by gh

I (predictably?) went for the undefeated field eventers, Harting and Adams.

Comment

Armstrong in shot a mild suprise, but no one dominated the complete season.
              Watts in lj fits same picture.
              Surprised at Suhr in wpv, and noted that among US Athlete of year, she was only 7th.
              An Ethiopian sneaked in at #10 to spoil a Kenyan sweep in men's marathon.
              Taylor first American to rate #1 in tj since when?
              Rupp first American to rank in 10k since when?

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce Kritzler
                You can easily find the answers to questions like that by going to the Rankings archive and viewing the by-nation data for the event(s) you want.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                  You can easily find the answers to questions like that by going to the Rankings archive and viewing the by-nation data for the event(s) you want.
                  That would be cheating. Need to run it around my brain for a couple of days.

Comment

Comment

Armstrong in shot a mild suprise, but no one dominated the complete season.
                      Surprise? How? He won the Diamond League SP, had the year's longest throw, had a winning record against Storl, the only man to beat him at Daegu. He had a winning record against everybody else except for a tie with Cantwell.

Can you defend Cantwell as No. 1? I sure can't. Dylan IS numero uno this year.

I agree with you on Suhr. Too high.

Comment

For a couple of years I've played around with a points-based rankings system, mostly to see if it would work. My system rewards similar things as TFN's rankings--placing high in major competition with an emphasis on winning, plus consistency in marks--but is slightly different, in that it penalizes ducking and a light competition schedule. So it's not the same, but almost the same.

The events where my #1 is not TFN's #1...
                        Men
                        AOY - I have Mutai, TFN has Rudisha
                        Steeple - I have Kipruto, TFN has Kemboi
                        10k - I have Farah, TFN has Jeylian
                        110H - I have Richardson, TFN has Robles
                        TJ - I have Idowu, TFN has Taylor
                        SP - I have Hoffa, TFN has Armstrong
                        JT - I have Thorky, TFN has De Zordo

Women
                        200m - I have Jeter, TFN has VCB
                        Stpl - I have Chemos, TFN has Zaripova
                        400H - I have Spencer, TFN has Demus

In some of these disagreements, I'm thinking I'd like to tinker with the system to get results more like what TFN has. In the rest it's a matter of a difference in what's valued, most notably in the 10k. Nowhere would I say I thought the rankings committee didn't adhere to its time-honored criteria, and that includes the women's pole vault.

In what my system calls the ten most important wPV competitions of the year, the wins were spread out between five athletes. Murer had only one win, Suhr had two. Suhr won the 2nd most-important competition (DL final), had a 3-1 record against Murer, and was vastly superior to everyone on depth of marks. Worlds are big, but it's not everything.

The only issue I have with the TFN rankings is that when athletes have financial (or egotistical) reasons to improve their ranking, the ranking criteria end up causing behavior we'd rather not have: ducking and light competitive schedules. It's better to avoid the best competition (or worse, sit and do nothing) than run and lose. It's only a real problem in the sprints and distance--everyone else will take every paycheck they can get, win or lose--but then again, those are the glamour events...

Comment

Originally posted by Mighty Favog
                          For a couple of years I've played around with a points-based rankings system, mostly to see if it would work. My system rewards similar things as TFN's rankings--placing high in major competition with an emphasis on winning, plus consistency in marks--but is slightly different, in that it penalizes ducking and a light competition schedule. So it's not the same, but almost the same.

The events where my #1 is not TFN's #1...
                          Men
                          AOY - I have Mutai, TFN has Rudisha
                          Steeple - I have Kipruto, TFN has Kemboi
                          10k - I have Farah, TFN has Jeylian
                          110H - I have Richardson, TFN has Robles
                          TJ - I have Idowu, TFN has Taylor
                          SP - I have Hoffa, TFN has Armstrong
                          JT - I have Thorky, TFN has De Zordo

Women
                          200m - I have Jeter, TFN has VCB
                          Stpl - I have Chemos, TFN has Zaripova
                          400H - I have Spencer, TFN has Demus

In some of these disagreements, I'm thinking I'd like to tinker with the system to get results more like what TFN has. In the rest it's a matter of a difference in what's valued, most notably in the 10k. Nowhere would I say I thought the rankings committee didn't adhere to its time-honored criteria, and that includes the women's pole vault.

In what my system calls the ten most important wPV competitions of the year, the wins were spread out between five athletes. Murer had only one win, Suhr had two. Suhr won the 2nd most-important competition (DL final), had a 3-1 record against Murer, and was vastly superior to everyone on depth of marks. Worlds are big, but it's not everything.

The only issue I have with the TFN rankings is that when athletes have financial (or egotistical) reasons to improve their ranking, the ranking criteria end up causing behavior we'd rather not have: ducking and light competitive schedules. It's better to avoid the best competition (or worse, sit and do nothing) than run and lose. It's only a real problem in the sprints and distance--everyone else will take every paycheck they can get, win or lose--but then again, those are the glamour events...
                          I'd definitely have Chemos over Zaripova you can't be world ranked No1 with 3 races however high the quality, I'd also maybe have Farah over Jaylien but Hoffa, Richardson and Jeter makes no sense at all :?
                          i deserve extra credit

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                            Originally posted by Flumpy
                            Originally posted by gh

I (predictably?) went for the undefeated field eventers, Harting and Adams.
                            Both my #3's I think.

They had fantastic undefeated seasons but the distances weren't quite far enough for me to place them any higher. Also Val threw far less than I thought she had and good deal of those were in NZ with no competish.

Comment

I don't understand Usain coming 2nd at all. He even got 6 1st place votes. :?

I think I put him 5th.

Comment

Working...
                              X