Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Baby-faced destroyer" returns

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • "Baby-faced destroyer" returns

    Did anybody else notice that Tirunesh Dibaba won the New Year's Eve 10K in Madrid in 31:30 over Geleta Burka, same time? According to Athletics International, she says she's fully recovered from her injuries, training well and looking forward to defending her Olympic titles. Yes!!!!!

    I'm sure Vivian Cheruiyot will have something to say about it.

    Here's hoping those two, Defar and Masai are all in great shape and "ready to rumble" in London.
    Cheers, and Happy New Year,
    Alan Shank
    Woodland, CA, USA

  • #2
    Re: "Baby-faced destroyer" returns

    Originally posted by Alan Shank
    Did anybody else notice that Tirunesh Dibaba won the New Year's Eve 10K in Madrid in 31:30 over Geleta Burka, same time? According to Athletics International, she says she's fully recovered from her injuries, training well and looking forward to defending her Olympic titles. Yes!!!!!

    I'm sure Vivian Cheruiyot will have something to say about it.

    Here's hoping those two, Defar and Masai are all in great shape and "ready to rumble" in London.
    Cheers, and Happy New Year,
    Alan Shank
    Woodland, CA, USA

    Couldn't agree more! All four of these exceptional ladies have given me many thrills watching their championship races.

    Latest T&FN/Rankings issue lists Vivacious Vivian as being 5'1" and 86 lbs. (that's as in weight, not money, for you, Alan. :] ). Always mind-boggling for me to see how tough these petite women are once they get on the track.

    [Simply commenting on the visually striking contrast between body size and competitive heart.]
    .

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: "Baby-faced destroyer" returns

      Originally posted by Alan Shank
      Did anybody else notice that Tirunesh Dibaba won the New Year's Eve 10K in Madrid in 31:30 over Geleta Burka, same time? According to Athletics International, she says she's fully recovered from her injuries, training well and looking forward to defending her Olympic titles. Yes!!!!!

      I'm sure Vivian Cheruiyot will have something to say about it.
      I say if Tiru is back to her absolute best, Cheruiyot will actually have very little to say. She's still nearly 10 secs slower at 5000, and doesn't have Dibaba's finishing speed, either.

      Of course there's also a possibility Tiru will only "sort of" come back to shape, like Bekele did last year, and will be beatable.
      Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: "Baby-faced destroyer" returns

        woohoo!! im really happy to read this!!

        31:30 on the road at this time of year is nothing to shabby at all - hopefully her year is a healthy one, because once she is fully fit and sharpens up her speed work, cheriyot will find it very difficult to live with dibaba!

        Its not just that shes capable of a 57 second last lap off the back of a 14:30 pace, or a 58 on the back of a 30:20 pace, even if its a slow race where theres a whole bunch of runners in contention at 4k, shes not afraid to go all out and clock 2:36 for the last 1k like in beijing.

        it doesnt matter any which way the race is run, i cant see anyone coming past her down the back straight, and especialy not round the top bend or down the home stretch. Cheriyot (or anyone elses) only hope is dibaba being bunched, or having 2 or 3 athletes to come past with 300m to go, and from her championship performances in the past, she always seems to make sure shes got a clear road ahead at the bell, before unleashing that amazing 400m sprint!

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: "Baby-faced destroyer" returns

          Originally posted by Powell

          I say if Tiru is back to her absolute best, Cheruiyot will actually have very little to say. She's still nearly 10 secs slower at 5000, and doesn't have Dibaba's finishing speed, either.
          Well, Cheruiyot ran a 58.7 last 400 in Daegu 5K in her third race of the meet. She has improved her finish markedly since 2008. I think she will be tough to beat, and TBFD will need to be at her best. Should be great!
          Cheers,
          Alan Shank
          Woodland, CA, USA

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: "Baby-faced destroyer" returns

            Originally posted by Alan Shank
            Well, Cheruiyot ran a 58.7 last 400 in Daegu 5K in her third race of the meet. She has improved her finish markedly since 2008.
            Good enough to beat all the athletes around in 2011, obviously, but no, still not in the same class as the Dibaba of a few years ago. As noted above, Tiru was running faster last laps in much faster races.
            Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

            Comment

            Working...
            X