Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Derek Redmond's dad to carry Olympic torch

From the front page: Link: http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-400_162-573 ... 012-torch/

It's good to see CBSnews recognizes the significance of the '92 incident with Derek and his dad.

Obama did too!

Re: Derek Redmond's dad to carry Olympic torch

Originally posted by Fortius19
    It's good to see CBSnews recognizes the significance of the '92 incident with Derek and his dad.
    CBS just picked up an item from the AP and put it on their website. Lots of other media around the world did the same thing.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?sec ... id=7445651
    http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news?slug=a ... d_20120110
    http://www.wwaytv3.com/sports/2012/01/f ... arry-torch
    http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.as ... 2012_pg2_6

I could find a dozen more, but you get the point.

Comment

Though President Obama is a noted sports fan, I'm sure one of his writers decided to use the "Redmond Farce" as a bulletpoint for the Prez's speech (and possibly for the writer's resume...). Sadly this Redmond/Dad/92 thing has very long legs; it's the moment for people who don't know what real Olympic moments are.

Contrast Redmond '92 with Bert Cameron '84. Both athletes running the same event. Both athletes running the semifinal, iirc. One, Cameron, was the World Champion. One, Redmond, wasn't. Yet Cameron didn't crumple to the ground and limp around the track while crying on his Dad's shoulder. He ran what may be one of the most heroic races in Olympic history but we have track fans who should actually know better thinking Redmond has some sort of relevance? How can Redmond be the most inspiring moment in T&F when he isn't even the most inspiring in his event? Not by a longshot.

Oh, my...here comes my breakfast again.

Comment

Originally posted by preston
        Sadly this Redmond/Dad/92 thing has very long legs; it's the moment for people who don't know what real Olympic moments are.
        While this might be true, it's exactly this kind of thing that NBC loves to highlight. It's part of the reason why their coverage is worthless.

Comment

Though President Obama is a noted sports fan, I'm sure one of his writers decided to use the "Redmond Farce" as a bulletpoint for the Prez's speech (and possibly for the writer's resume...). Sadly this Redmond/Dad/92 thing has very long legs; it's the moment for people who don't know what real Olympic moments are.

Contrast Redmond '92 with Bert Cameron '84. Both athletes running the same event. Both athletes running the semifinal, iirc. One, Cameron, was the World Champion. One, Redmond, wasn't. Yet Cameron didn't crumple to the ground and limp around the track while crying on his Dad's shoulder. He ran what may be one of the most heroic races in Olympic history but we have track fans who should actually know better thinking Redmond has some sort of relevance? How can Redmond be the most inspiring moment in T&F when he isn't even the most inspiring in his event? Not by a longshot.

Oh, my...here comes my breakfast again.
          I agree entirely with this... the Derek Redmond incident has always struck me as being acutely embarrassing, but the Bert Cameron run was astonishing. I think he ran a time that was only maginally slower than his winning time at the previous year's worlds despite losing about a second to the injury - in fact, from memory I think he was credited with negative splits. He was probably worth a time of around 44 flat that day.

Certainly what may have been the greatest 400 ever up to that point, run by the dominant runner of that 4-year Olympiad in a desperate bid to secure an Olympic final place, is a more inspiring Olympic moment than an attention-seeking tantrum. Even if you look at it from Redmond's perspective, it has overshadowed those occasions (eg Worlds 4x400 of 91) when he did actually run well.

Comment

It appears that neither of you have torn your hamstring.

Comment

Originally posted by JumboElliott
              It appears that neither of you have torn your hamstring.
              It appears that you assume too much

Comment

cameron's run was truly heroic but derek redmond couldn't walk bert cameron was walking after his race. There stark differences between the two injuries i think.

Comment

Originally posted by efua ninsin
                  cameron's run was truly heroic but derek redmond couldn't walk bert cameron was walking after his race. There stark differences between the two injuries i think.
                  Boo-effin-hoo!

The starkest of differences:

-The extent to which Redmond was injured has been overdramitized, the fact is that Cameron turned his misfortune into something; to me, that should be more remembered than Redmond's "victory lap".
                  -Redmond was at best an outside shot at a final (Roger Black was 5th in 44.72; Redmond was lucky to be in the "slow" semi), Cameron was the world champion, he had much more reason to ..."woe is me!"
                  -Redmond couldn't walk, but he was "hopping"? That's the "tantrum" Rog speaks about; "finishing" is the athlete's prerogative, but turning it into the "pity clap" melodrama, usually and unfortunately reserved for a races worst athlete, was sickening. The inclusion of his father made it a farce. He immediately should have been DQ'd but the IAAF softened the designation to "abandoned" when what the Redmonds did was obviously a DQ offense.

Don't take this as me being harsh to you in anyway, I just shake my head that that incident is held in such high regard.

Comment

u clearly have issues! both incidents were heartwarming but if you don't see it that way then so be it. get over it, millions of people believe that its one of the better olympic moments. If you don't feel so then whatever but your rants won't change the opinions of millions.

have nice day and wonderful weekend :wink:

Comment

Boo-effin-hoo!

The starkest of differences:

-The extent to which Redmond was injured has been overdramitized, the fact is that Cameron turned his misfortune into something; to me, that should be more remembered than Redmond's "victory lap".
                      -Redmond was at best an outside shot at a final (Roger Black was 5th in 44.72; Redmond was lucky to be in the "slow" semi), Cameron was the world champion, he had much more reason to ..."woe is me!"
                      -Redmond couldn't walk, but he was "hopping"? That's the "tantrum" Rog speaks about; "finishing" is the athlete's prerogative, but turning it into the "pity clap" melodrama, usually and unfortunately reserved for a races worst athlete, was sickening. The inclusion of his father made it a farce. He immediately should have been DQ'd but the IAAF softened the designation to "abandoned" when what the Redmonds did was obviously a DQ offense.

Don't take this as me being harsh to you in anyway, I just shake my head that that incident is held in such high regard.
                      None of your bile can change the fact that the lovely Mr Redmond will be carrying the Olympic flame and you won't.
                      i deserve extra credit

Comment

Originally posted by mump boy
                        None of your bile can change the fact that the lovely Mr Redmond will be carrying the Olympic flame and you won't.
                        Why it's our #1 "mean girl" as if on cue. :? FYI: carrying the flame wouldn't be that big of a deal as thousands of people get that opportunity. Now lighting the cauldron (which I definitely won't have the opportunity to do)...

Comment

u clearly have issues! both incidents were heartwarming but if you don't see it that way then so be it. get over it, millions of people believe that its one of the better olympic moments. If you don't feel so then whatever but your rants won't change the opinions of millions.

have nice day and wonderful weekend :wink:
                          No, you clearly have issues. So be it, but I should get over it. Project much? :lol: My opinions obviously not changing, why respond?

Comment

somebody clearly has a can't-play-well-with-others issue. Please come back in a week if you've solved them.

Comment

Working...
                            X