Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More absurd hs sprint times...

From Dyestat.com...

OK Oklahoma 5A-6A regionals - Marcus Pugh 9.98 and 20.40 ! Jenks sr Marcus Pugh ran the super swift double in a regional meet at Catoosa OK, according to local sources. Pugh's teammate Jay Cooper was reported second in the 100 at 10.00.

This on the heels of last weeks 9.91...

Do I believe 'em? Nah.

Re: More absurd hs sprint times...

Dyestat is beginning to lose credibility. I will leave my complaints on their home page.

Comment

john dye is extremely bright and experienced, i'm sure he's even more skeptical than we are.. notice it says 'according to local sources'. i doubt these times will go into his next list, even with an asterisk

Comment

Pugh was recorded as running 10.78 (3.4w) at the Texas Relays earlier this season.

Comment

I think we would have to put these in the "doubtful timing" category.

I tracked down the results from the 6A Regional in Catoosa, and the times shown are as indicated. It is interesting that the third place finisher was at 10.67. The posted results say "Hy-Tek Meet Manager, but they aren't in the proper format. I'm wondering if someone didn't try to "fancy up" the stats and somehow screwed up a cut and paste.

At the 6A Regional in Yukon, another runner ran a 10.19. In Oklahoma they only use hand timing until the regional meets. If you see an electronic time for an Oklahoma HS athlete, it's generally from a big event like the Texas Relays, which has a bunch of high school entrants in their own divisions.

Here's where the meet results were posted:
          http://www.ohstrack.com/6aregionalcatoosa50804.htm

Comment

BTW, another humorous set of times...

Check out the "Status of Entries" page for the US Olympic Trials area of USATF, under the women's 400m and 800m listings.

There is some joker there using the name "Charlena Wells-Bradley" that posted some noteworthy times. "Her" entries were immediately deemed not qualified. I doubt that they had to do any research on this, either.

http://www.usatf.org/events/2004/Olympi ... status.asp

Comment

Re: BTW, another humorous set of times...

I'm surprised she doesn't have 47.40 down for her 400h time :-) LOL

Comment

>john dye is extremely bright and experienced, i'm sure he's even more skeptical
                >than we are.. notice it says 'according to local sources'. i doubt these times
                >will go into his next list, even with an asterisk

I'm one of John Dye's biggest fans, but he's committed an unpardonable stats "sin" by going back to separate lists for the 1600/mile and 3200/2-mile(he ran combined lists the last year or two). And on his Nike leaderboard, he lists times for the 1600 and 3200 (boys and girls) that are SLOWER than the times for the full mile and 2-miles.

Comment

What's a sin to you is a major treat for some kid who gets included on the separated lists but might have been left off the combined ones.

Comment

It would be nice if he included the 5,000m on the list... but that is neither here nor there, as we are on TFN message board.

Comment

>>I'm one of John Dye's biggest fans, but he's committed an unpardonable stats "sin" by going back to separate lists for the 1600/mile and 3200/2-mile(he ran combined lists the last year or two). And on his Nike leaderboard, he lists times for the 1600 and 3200 (boys and girls) that are SLOWER than the times for the full mile and 2-miles.<<

The guy's a photographer, not a statistician. He doesn't get it and he never will.

Comment

"What's a sin to you is a major treat for some kid who gets included on the separated lists but might have been left off the combined ones."

I don't get this remark. Having separate lists for the same event allows a cutoff much lower than the other events. Why should the 60th 3200/2-mile kid make the lists when that low doesn't make it for other lists?

Comment

Quote>

I don't
                          >get this remark. Having separate lists for the same event allows a cutoff much
                          >lower than the other events. Why should the 60th 3200/2-mile kid make the lists
                          >when that low doesn't make it for other lists?

Why should.... hey your talking about a 14, or 15 year old kids. Why not? These things mean alot to young athletes and there families. Grow up , there is no major injustice here , its not like they are lining up for cancer treatment, its just kids out playing!

Comment

You lost me again. Why not list every kid who runs? Wouldn't that be even better?

Comment

For the kids competing it would be better! Who do you think the Dyestat lists are for? Aging geeks and coaches like us? No way. The target audience is kids and parents and friends. They LOVE to see local names on the lists. The lists build interest in the sport and Dyestat does a great job of drawing people into following results nation wide. If Dyestat could list the top 100 or 500 in EVERY event, then I say the more the better. Track nerds like us are perfectly capable of sorting out relative values at mile/1500/1600, etc. What's wrong with kids, moms, dads and team-mates seeing more rather than fewer people on the lists?

Comment

Working...
                              X