Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whither Ritz

I've been a quiet fan of him for a while now, so watching his 4th place finish and his emotional response made me feel for him. I still think he can be SOMEBODY in the 5 and/or 10. With his 5K credentials (12:56) and his 'thon endurance, I think he's a sub-27 guy. Here's rooting for him.

Re: Whither Ritz

According to the article on the front page,your're right on! And, I feel the same way about Ritz...a great young man, talented, disciplined and likable. I hope he can defeat his biggest adversary--injury--and have a great track season, break 27:00 in the 10,000m as Marlow said he thought he could. I agree.

Comment

A sub-27:00 would give the US three sub-dudes. Outside of African nations, only GB has one (Mo). If Ritz avoids injury (a tough proposition) and gets in a fast race somewhere this year or next, I'll eat my hat if he doesn't break 27:00.

Comment

The problem with Ritz is that he doesn't seem to have the closing speed to content for medals on track, either.

His best events are half marathon and cross country, neither of which are in the Olympics.

Comment

Yeah, doubt Ritz has the finish of Rupp and look what happened to him in Daegu; lost 10 seconds to the leaders in the last lap, 5 seconds in the last 200 in a 27:13 race. And logic suggests we're going to see a London race more like that than the rabbited 26:43 which Rupp enjoyed in Brussels.

Comment

Ritz look pretty good closing over the last 800m, including doing a good job of reeling Bekele in, until he ran out of gas with ~150m to go (as I remember it).

Comment

i think the usa 5k team would have MORE contenders for the team than the 10k team would

don't forget 10k k bekele should be way closer to his old form, so we got mo, 3 ethiopiams, 3 kenyans, 3 eritreans...

making top 10 is an accomplishment

Comment

Three Eritreans? I can think of only Zernasay Tadesse as a real contender...

Three Ethiopians, three Kenyans, Farah, Tadesse and Rupp are top nine. So a Top 10 would be indeed an accomplishment for any one else.

Of course, the USA 5K has Lagat. But other than him, it's three Ethiopians, three Kenyans, and Farah again.

So one medal contender vs. none between 5K and 10K.

Comment

I know it's not central t othis discussion buut don't forget Moses Kipsiro of Uganda next year. Has a good medal chance in 5 and 10.

Comment

Working...
                  X